PDA

View Full Version : Discus very ill!

discus bob
11-12-2007, 10:32 PM
One of my MR females 9to 10 months old seems to be constipated and very ill. I noticed her this evening, stomach twice normal size laying head up in the back corner of my 55 gal. She was a little large last night but I thought she ate a few to many black worms.
She's having trouble swimming and is laying on some plants at the moment. I dosed the tank at 2 tbsp/10 gal. Epsom's Salt about 3 hours ago, that seems a little on the heavy side so I don't think I should add any more. Also added Kosher Salt a few minutes ago as she was struggling to breath.
Her tube is extended slightly.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've never had one this ill.

2sybs
11-12-2007, 11:18 PM
The treatment for bloated/constipation is 1-2 "teaspoons" per 10 gal. epsom salt.
So you did 2 tablespoons = 6 teaspoons per 10 gal. I have no idea what 3 times the dose will do.
How are the other fish doing?

discus bob
11-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I did a search as I couldn't remember the dose and found a thread that recommended 2 tbs/ 10 gal. Thought it was a little high, Tbs where not to the top. Other fish are fine, the bloated looks like she won't make through the night, still no bowel movement.

2sybs
11-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Check the last stickied thread above "Most Common Treatments" by Carol Roberts.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=34834
There is also another one in the beginners area.

Can you post pictures and your water parameters for the experts when they can get here?

Tell her to hang in there and I hope she will be ok.
Ray :)

discus bob
11-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks Ray.
It's hard to watch this fish suffer like this. That's got to be painful.
The other Discus know what's up, one female was laying with her, oddly these two females didn't like each other at all! They faced off and charged each other all the time.
Is Epsom's salt all I can do right now?

2sybs
11-13-2007, 12:23 AM
I just reread that thread and it does say you can treat with higher doses of 2 tablespoons per 10 gal. My bad.
Just wait and see is all I can say. you can also retreat after 4 hrs if it hasn't worked.

I can imagine it is hard to watch her suffer. I have a pb that is prone to that, just had to do the epsom salts again myself last night.:(
Ray

discus bob
11-13-2007, 12:52 AM
I just reread that thread and it does say you can treat with higher doses of 2 tablespoons per 10 gal. My bad.
Just wait and see is all I can say. you can also retreat after 4 hrs if it hasn't worked.:(
Ray

Yep, that's just what I did , a 50% water change. I figure the meds are in her now, so we will wait and see.
Thanks.

fishmama
11-13-2007, 09:09 AM
How is the MR female today?

discus bob
11-13-2007, 02:01 PM
She died some time during the night.
Last night we witnessed one of the most touching things I have ever seen with animals and fish. As she lay in the worm bowl I have for feeding worms, the other two female Discus, all raised together, stayed right by her. One was even laying in the bowl with her so they where touching. These females where always charging and pecking at each other. I guess they knew there sister was very sick.
I knew Discus where very intelligent fish but I never thought I would see the caring they gave her in her last few hours of her life.
I am about 90% sure she swallowed something she couldn't pass or became blocked, her stomach area was huge.
I'm left with a pair currently laying eggs in the 30 and 2 females in the 55. This is my first discus loss. Gonna start looking for a male soon.

fishmama
11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh, so sorry to hear that. Very touching though.

Organic Farmer
11-13-2007, 05:49 PM
sorry to hear of your loss

2sybs
11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry Bob.
that really sucks. :(
Ray

Kindredspirit
11-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Wow. Sorry to hear this, Bob:(

discus bob
11-14-2007, 08:12 PM
I'd like to Thank all of you for your support!
We sure can get attached to these fish!