PDA

View Full Version : so frustrating and depressing

grelot
11-14-2007, 08:28 PM
I had a nice pair of white butterflies (thanks to GLD)
They were breeding often but always had problems for attachment.

I finally found out what was wrong and why they never attached.
Yesterday was day three of freeswimming and I had around 120 to 140 babies fully attached and growing well. I was so happy and excited. Everything was going perfectly and I had waited a long time for it.

When I woke up this morning I had an horror sight. That f...ing ebo f..ked up and cooked them all. Both the fries and the pair were all dead. The temp was 100 fahrenheit.

This is so much depressing and frustrating. I was so close of achievement. And poor fishes, it must have been an horrible death.

I just wanted to share my sad story with people who can understand how I feel.

Remi

alxjss
11-14-2007, 08:33 PM
So sorry for ur terrific loss. That is terrible...:(

Kindredspirit
11-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Wow. Remi....this is devastating....! I am so sorry but how did the temp get to 100? Mine is set at 84-85 and if it gets stuck won't it get stuck at 84? Are you saying that your temp turned up by itself?

Green Country Discus
11-14-2007, 08:47 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss. We have had heaters stick on in the past but we always caught it in time to save the fish. What a bummer!!

Ardan
11-14-2007, 08:48 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss. I know how you feel, as I had some heaters stick on after a lightning storm and almost every discus I had died.

Try to size the heater smaller next time so if it sticks on it can't get over 94F or less.
Its a hard loss though with a pair and freeswimmers.
Never give up though.

Ardan

fishmama
11-14-2007, 09:30 PM
That's awful! So sorry to hear that. Hang in there...this kinda stuff separates the "men" from the "boys"!

bgbdwlf2500
11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Wow. Remi....this is devastating....! I am so sorry but how did the temp get to 100? Mine is set at 84-85 and if it gets stuck won't it get stuck at 84? Are you saying that your temp turned up by itself?

when a heater sticks it sticks to ON meaning it never cuts off. No matter what its set at the temp keeps climbing.

Cosmo
11-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Really sorry to hear of your loss, must be totally depressing :(

I've lost fish to heater malfunctions years ago and it really bummed me out.. and there were no fry in the tanks which I would think would make it hurt more :(

Invest in a heater controller.. worth their weight in gold when they prevent things like this from happening

Hang in there...

Jim

LizStreithorst
11-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Like Andrew, I've had it happen but caught it in time. I know that keeping Dicus can sometimes break you heart. I'm so sorry for your loss.

GrillMaster
11-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Sorry for the loss grelot!! I would be devistated if it happened to me thats for sure and your alot farther along than I am...

tc
Mark

CARY_GLdiscus
11-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Very Sorry To Hear!

Give Me a call Maybe I can help out!

cary Gld!

grelot
11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
thank you all for the support
Yes Cary I will give you a call

What is exactly a temp controller, I've never heard of it??

What is the most depressing in my story is that I was working hard for breeding those fish but was unlucky (no attachment). And finally everything was perfect this time, I was so happy. And bam, that thing happen.

Losing fishes is always depressing but this situation make it even worse

JasonE
11-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi grelot,

I'm sure this isn't the cheapest available but should give you an idea what the function of a temp controller is.

Temp Controller (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13967&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=2004&Ntt=temperature&Np=1)

2sybs
11-15-2007, 10:02 PM
There are several on this page.
I have the Pro Heat II one and the display is not true but I use it with a Jabo heater and a seperate digital thermometer.
They can be used with a titanium heater element of just any plug in aquarium heater.
I also have an Otto on my 75 with the titanium unit.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=ch-ch-ca

ffighter14
11-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Hello
I feel terrible for your loss.Ive kept fish for many years and have had simlar problems in my ciclid tank.My experience is my heater stopped heating and my fish have nearly frozen to death.In my new discus tank,I was using an aquaclear 50 watt heater,which I thought was ok,but the outside temp stared dropping and the temp dropped to 82 from 86 degrees I ran out and spent 58 dollars on a Guridan 250 watt heater and it seems to be tough to regulate.I keep running up to the tank every to check.I hope you will find new fish to replace the ones you lost and dont get discourged.Im sure you new fish will spawn.

Steve

Elite Aquaria
11-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Remi,

I am sorry to hear the news. Do you have other discus or was these all you had?

Dan

grelot
11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
no I have many other but this was my only reliable and productive pair

Elite Aquaria
11-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry :(

BSW
11-16-2007, 01:28 PM
OMG !
I'm SOOOOOO Sorry, It must of been a terrible shock.
B

numinous
11-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. As far as the Ranco Temp Controller I just bought the single stage from DIY Reef and it cost about $95 shipped (79.95 + 15.45 for 3 day seect UPS). It has worked well for the past 2 days keeping my 55 within .4 degrees of the set point even though the room temp has fluctuated 30+ degrees.

Mickey

poconogal
11-16-2007, 04:31 PM

Hi Marie. What happens is that the heater termostat gets stuck and since it does not turn off, the water temp keeps climbing and climbing and unless someone is there and notices, the fish cook.

poconogal
11-16-2007, 04:37 PM
thank you all for the support
Yes Cary I will give you a call

What is exactly a temp controller, I've never heard of it??

What is the most depressing in my story is that I was working hard for breeding those fish but was unlucky (no attachment). And finally everything was perfect this time, I was so happy. And bam, that thing happen.

Losing fishes is always depressing but this situation make it even worse
I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I know there are threads here on SD on heater controllers or the Otto Controller. I've used the Otto controllers to control my heaters. They have a safety shut off at 95 degrees as well. And, I believe they regularly cost about $35, but I got mine on sale for about $15. My original Otto controller came with its own heater and I bought it in 1993. That controller and heater are still in use. They are not fancy and they are not digital, but they work extremely well and keep water temp very stable.

HTH,
Connie