PDA

View Full Version : Surgery today......Discus KC

AADiscus
11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Everyone if you could keep Jack and his family in your prayers, he is having surgery this afternoon. I know everything will go well but from talking to him on the phone the other night he is gonna be laid up for a little while and he has a TON of fish in his fish room now. His little angel is helping keep things in line.

Diamond Discus
11-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll put him on my prayer list. :angel:Get well soon Jack!!

Tad
11-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Best wishes Bud!

You will be in our prayers as always,

Tad

oodi
11-15-2007, 01:05 PM
I hope you feel better soon Jack!

Judi
:)

Tropical Haven
11-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Jack, have a safe recovery and get well soon my friend.

DISCUS USA
11-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Jack is a trooper he be here before you know it posting pics of his awsome fishroom in no time.. :)

pcsb23
11-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Good luck Jack, I'll be thinking of you.

April
11-15-2007, 05:07 PM
my fingers are crossed for you..at least once its over you will be back on your feet.
take care..and take it easy .

korbi_doc
11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey Jack, we'll all be pulling forya...& keeping you in our prayers....get well soon!!!!!!!!!!! Dottie ;)

brewmaster15
11-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Jack,
Hope you are feeling well soon and back on your feet. Best of luck with the surgery. Hope it all goes well for you.

-al

kaceyo
11-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey Jack,
Sorry to hear your gonna be laid up for awhile. It took surgery to get ya to take a break, huh? It'll be over before ya know it.

Kacey

Cosmo
11-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Brian is a little angel :confused::confused::confused:

Jack buddy,

It's almost over :) Soon you'll be working your butt off in the fishroom just like the good old days :p

Heal quickly :)

Jim

bikhu
11-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Jack,
You are in my heart and in my prayers. I look forward to seeing you back on here telling us how great you are feeling. All my best to you and your family.
peter

tpl*co
11-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Get well soon Jack, we'll be thinking of you.

Tina

Ardan
11-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Get well soon Jack!

Ardan

Kindredspirit
11-15-2007, 08:27 PM
I hope you are feeling better soon, Jack!

Discus-Hans
11-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Jack, my friend, get back on your feet asap. you have work to do.
Don't lay around to long,

Hope everything is okay buddy,

Hans

jeep
11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Don't worry... it's just a leg :D I'll be up this weekend making sure he gets back on that horse ;)
Cos, you're just diggin' yourself deeper and deeper :bandana:

Elite Aquaria
11-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Jack,

You will be in our prayers...we hope for a speedy recovery.

Dan and Patty

discusIA
11-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Jack - wishing you a speedy and successful recovery. Hope to see you soon!

Darren's Discus
11-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Jack,
i wish you all the best and a speedy recovery,If it gets too much send your fish to me and i will take good care of them for you !

cheers

ping
11-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Get well soon Jack.

Ronny

Condor
11-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Hope your better soon Jack! Can't let some lousy surgery keep you from all those nice fish :D

Adrian

White Worm
11-16-2007, 02:24 AM
If I know Jack, he will wheel the bed, TV and fridge into the fish room where he can recover and still keep an eye on the fish. What better to sooth any ill then staring at many tanks full of discus. No worries Jack!

Kenny's Discus
11-16-2007, 06:57 AM
I have the honor to talk with Jack the day before his surgery and he's in great spirit!:) I wish him a speedy recovery and I know in no time he'll put up another 40 tanks in his hatchery. You take care buddy we'll talk soon again!

Kenny

Discus_KC
11-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes. This is the last surgery proceedure I need and now it's time to rest the leg and let the incisions heal. I had a combination of laser work on veins as well as a Ambulatory Phlebectomy. They worked on the entire right leg from top to bottom. The inflamed varicose veins had caused pinched nerves so those had to be looked at as well.

This whole ordeal started around September 15th when a open ulcer had formed on the ankle. I had to have the ankle scraped 2 times a week for roughly a month until that healed.

The second month was just staying off the leg. I was finally able to feed the fish and do a couple wc's a day. The leg let me know it was in pain after time standing on it. The doctor wanted some leg movement as I had lost a ton of muscle mass from lack of use.

It's extemely sore and I'm on bed rest for several days.

I'm hoping to be back at it within 3 weeks. Once again, thanks for your concern. This has lifted the spirits.

Jack

I owe a special thanks to Courtney, Brian, and Troy for helping out in the fishroom.

jeep
11-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Any excuse to get together with fellow discus people is never a chore :)

phidelt85
11-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Jack, I'm glad to hear you did well and are back home. Take care of yourself and take it easy. It's great to have friends close by to help out the best the can. You're in my prayers and hoping for a speedy recovery.

troyclark
11-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Jack, glad to hear your on the road to recovery. If you get bored just laying around give me a call. I remember how is was when I had knee surgery. For me boredom was the worst. Won't be long now and you will be back in the fishroom full time.

Troy

Ardan
11-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Glad it went well Jack,

Keep us posted, sounds like you have a great support group to help with all the fish:)

Ardan

alxjss
11-17-2007, 06:44 AM
The worst part is the pain:sick2: The best part is knowing someone is there to help u thru all the things that need to be done. Glad u have people to help. Do what the doc says and u will recover quickly. No sneeking around thinking, "oh, i can do a few w/c's, what is that gonna hurt". Next thing u know, wham, back in bed...:angry:
I understand totally. Heal fast ok?

Wahter
11-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Get well soon Jack and keep us posted. :)

steve.ryall
11-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Jack, I missed this thread, but I am glad to hear that all went well, and you are on the road to recovery.

Steve

LizStreithorst
11-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I was unaware that you were having problems,Jack. Hope it's all sorted now and you'll be back to normal soon.

Diamond Discus
11-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Mind your Doctor's orders!! Get healed up right, so you can get well fast!! I'm sure you can call on some friends close by if your fish need something. Sounds like you have some good friends!! Take care and get well soon, with all you have been through, you could use a rest!!;)

CliffsDiscus
11-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Jack,
Get well soon!

Cliff

Discus_KC
11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
I feel better today. I'm following doctors orders. He does want me up and moving a few minutes a hour to keep the circulation in the leg.

Thanks again for you concern.

Jack

alpine
11-18-2007, 07:01 PM
jack, I had not seen this post until now, I went to the Ohio Cichlid event and I am just reading this post. I know is not a pleasant experience , very painful ... keep that leg up and I am wishing the best quick recovery for you. you need to get back to work in the Fishroom ......

roberto.

Elcid
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi Jack:

I'm glad ur all better! My mom has vericose vains and it's very hard for her to walk or stand for a long time, it's amazing how much her leg swells after only a couple of hours of walking! It's great that they have these new procedures now! atleast it's new for me!

I don't know about doing fish room work! Rest a bit and by summer u'll be ready to hit the beaches!

take care,
Sandeep

Discus_KC
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
If it was laser surgery I may be up and back at it. They stripped a clump of bad veins the size of a tennis ball below my knee. The nurse told me they looked the size and shape of candy corn. This proceedure took almost 3 1/2 hours. And I was awake for it the whole time. Thank goodness for a few sedatives to put me at eaze. Let's hope within 3 weeks I'm back at the fish.

Right now it's lots of pain meds and a laptop at my side. I'd even settle for a phone call.

Jack

Diamond Discus
11-19-2007, 05:59 PM
If it was laser surgery I may be up and back at it. They stripped a clump of bad veins the size of a tennis ball below my knee. The nurse told me they looked the size and shape of candy corn. This proceedure took almost 3 1/2 hours. And I was awake for it the whole time. Thank goodness for a few sedatives to put me at eaze. Let's hope within 3 weeks I'm back at the fish.

Right now it's lots of pain meds and a laptop at my side. I'd even settle for a phone call.

JackOh my, that sounds horrible. I'm awake when they cut chunks of skin the out clear down into the fat layer....you can still feel the pressure, pulling and tugging. Your one tough cookie Jack!!

Condor
11-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Sounds like you were in one too many forced marches, Jack. Hope you feel better soon.

Adrian

Kenny's Discus
11-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Jack, I sincerely hope you'll get well soon, buddy. Light exercise should be good and you'll feel much better after the healing process. All the best my friend.:)

Kenny

Discus_KC
12-01-2007, 12:00 AM
It was 2 weeks post op yesterday. They took me through a very intense and extended surgery. They usually last 1- 1 1/2 hours but mine was 3 1/2 hours. I'm hurting still and each day brings new areas that are starting to heal. Hence the pain in that area gets worse. There's over 20 incisions on the leg and it feels like they used needle nose pliers to pull out the bad veins.:D:D

Thanks everyone! I will be back by the end of the year.

Jack

I even have pics of this. Makes me cringe.

LizStreithorst
12-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Ooooooh, Post the pics pleas Jack. Or at least e-amil them to me if they're too gross for the forum. I love stuff like that. (disgusting isn't it?) Must come from all my years working with veterinarians.

korbi_doc
12-01-2007, 02:26 PM
It was 2 weeks post op yesterday. They took me through a very intense and extended surgery. They usually last 1- 1 1/2 hours but mine was 3 1/2 hours. I'm hurting still and each day brings new areas that are starting to heal. Hence the pain in that area gets worse. There's over 20 incisions on the leg and it feels like they used needle nose pliers to pull out the bad veins.:D:D

Thanks everyone! I will be back by the end of the year.

Jack

I even have pics of this. Makes me cringe.

;) Boy, Jack, sounds like me, every surgery I've had always took much longer, & surgeons would tell me how bad....
But the killer was the total knee replacements on both knees, think that aged me 10 yrs.... after hearing 'bout yours, sure don't look forward to gettin' my leg valves redone.....

& I'm like Liz, pics are enlightening....to say the least...

Be well & get up & running soon...we're all rootin' forya....:balloon:

Dottie

Discus_KC
12-03-2007, 11:21 PM
I had a follow up appointment at the surgeons office today. After the assessment of the leg I was told Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Next follow up appointment is in January. I'd say I'm back to 50% but a long way to my perception of what I feel is 100%. For me it's super hyperactive. I do feel I've passed a hurdle with some of the extreme pain. So with time and some rehab work on my part I will be back with a vengeance. You can put me down but not for long !!

Jack

Kenny's Discus
12-04-2007, 09:00 AM
That's a good start Jack don't rush it! Allow it to heal properly and you'll be back to 100% soon.:) All the best bud Merry Christmas to you also!

Kenny

kaceyo
12-04-2007, 10:25 AM
That's great news Jack, glad to hear it. Listen to Kenny, he gives good advice. I can picture you pushin too hard too soon. Give it time to heal right my friend.

Kacey

phidelt85
12-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Great to hear Jack!! Take your time resting, let those great kids of your help out in the fishroom as much as possible. You'll be back in no time.

Discus_KC
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Both the kids have been doing quite a bit of work in the fishroom. They want to earn extra spending money and it's so easy to have them go down to the basement and assist in the daily routine.

Jack

gparr
12-05-2007, 05:20 PM
OK Jack...I don't post much...but you have got to post some PICS!!!

Upper Canada
12-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I am glad to see that you are getting better Jack,

Bob

Discus_KC
12-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Each day brings progress. Or maybe that one nerve isn't as painful as the day before. One thing I have noticed is the color or the leg is much better than pre surgery. That means the circulation is better. I'm very thankful to have such a caring physician. And a great group here that care about a persons well being. Thank you all !!

Jack

phidelt85
12-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Glad to hear you're feeling better, Jack! Drink a beer or two that good for the circulation too. :D

pcsb23
12-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Stay with it Jack and keep patient. Don't undo the good work by pushing too hard too soon!

Wahter
12-07-2007, 01:46 PM
That's great to hear you're on the road to recovery! Keep us informed. Hope the pain is going away too.

Walter

jeep
12-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Hey Jack, sorry I've been busy and haven't been able to make it up. Whats the progress??? I'll be off next week... maybe we can work in "THE" room :antlers:

jeep
12-20-2007, 10:02 PM
OK Jack...I don't post much...but you have got to post some PICS!!!

I was unfortunate enough to see the real show live and in person before the surgery... trust me when I say :vomit:

Discus_KC
12-20-2007, 10:07 PM
I feel so much better!! I'm not back at 100% but I'm getting very close. My only hurdle is I can't wear a sock or a shoe. Too much pain at the ankle still. But I'm wearing those Crock shoes and they are soft and are open at the ankle. I spent about 3 hours solid in the fishroom doing wc's and tank cleaning today. I hurt afterwards but it's great therapy. I've missed the fish and the breeding. From the looks of things the fish are sure ready !!

Thanks again,

Jack

GrillMaster
12-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Great ta hear yer back on yer feet again Jack!! Even if its for a few hours or so a day. Times a healer...Before ya know it, noone will be able to drag ya outta that fish room. :D

tc
Mark

seanyuki
12-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Wish you can have a speedy recovery and back to your favourite hobby DISCUS .

Cheers
Francis

AADiscus
12-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Glad you are doing better Jack. It probably felt good to be back messing with tanks more. I sure liked seeing the pictures of the kids working in the fish room.

Hope you and the family have a wonderful xmas.

Ardan
12-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Great to see you are back in the fishroom and feeling better:)
don't over do it though

Ardan

Discus_KC
12-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Great to see you are back in the fishroom and feeling better:)
don't over do it though

Ardan

I have to get back in the swing. You have some fish sitting in my tanks!!

Jack

Ardan
12-22-2007, 06:58 AM
I have to get back in the swing. You have some fish sitting in my tanks!!

Jack:D
Ardan

Discus_KC
01-09-2008, 01:10 AM
You can call me cured and better than ever. I'm actually wearing a shoe finally. Thanks for all the well wishes during this difficult ordeal.

But bottom line is I'm back and feel so much better.

The fish are breeding too so they knew I was ready to get busy.

Thanks again,

Jack

phidelt85
01-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Great news, Jack!! Looks like it's back to the same ole grind for you. :D

pcsb23
01-10-2008, 06:07 PM
'bout time too :D glad to hear you've healed up well, horrid ordeal.