PDA

View Full Version : Adult culls

Peachtree Discus
11-15-2007, 01:47 PM
i saw a BEAUTIFUL clean snow white at my LFS...but its top fin (no pun intended) was slightly deformed. Slighty, but clearly noticible...so i decided not to get it....for $125. :mad:

Normal parents still have a percentage of offspring that should be culled. So I am wondering do parents with deformities have a higher percentage of culls. are such deformities REALLY passed on to the fry the same way coloring/markings are passed...or is it more luck of the draw for such abnormalities?

(glasses and pocket protector time) My question(s): has anyone ever let what should be a cull to grow to adult size for breeding? or has anyone every bred with such a fish? Did you notice a higher percentage that had the deformity as compared to fish bred from "normal" parents? experience/opinion?

B-O-F
11-15-2007, 01:50 PM
I dont know about Discus but many of the goldfish varieties must have originated that way.

Tropical Haven
11-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Deformities are not passed on by gene's, deformities are mainly caused by lack of proper care when they are fry and babies. Don't get me wrong, there are certain deformities that do happen reguardless on how well you take care of them but the majority of deformities are from the care taker.

Peachtree Discus
11-15-2007, 04:15 PM
that's interesting...still the guys is asking $125 for some scrubby fish. :alien:

This 1 is a beautiful fish, except now that I've seen lots of discus...the deformity sticks out like a sore thumb. I swiped a pic from another post to show what the fin problem looks like (thanks bgbdwlf250). Previous mistakes make me want to leave the fish....curiosities make wonder.

Tropical Haven
11-15-2007, 04:24 PM
If that fish has deformities I would not buy it reguardless of the price.

AADiscus
11-15-2007, 04:24 PM
That does not look like a genetic problem to me on that fish. It does not go all the way to the body it is mainly just the fin it's self. It could have been from ammonia burn to anything else. Sometimes breeders will breed adults that have a few minor flaws so they can work with a certain genetic line. Take for example our experiment that we are working with. There is a few MINOR flaws but you have to grow them out and breed them with other lines of fish or back to a parent to try and work those genetic flaws out. Al has a thread somewhere where he did an experiment by cutting back the fin and letting it grow back out. It really worked and the fish looks great and you would have never had known if you didn't see the before and after pictures.

I would not pay $125.00 for a single adult discus. IMO Especially from a LFS.

mikesmac
11-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi DiscusMaker...

I don't know where you got the picture but on my computer what is very clear is that someone doctored the picture. That black area at the top fin is clearly not a part of the original picture. Maybe someone was just trying to show a hypothetical problem?

Mike

Peachtree Discus
11-15-2007, 05:59 PM
That would be me and my "superior" MS PAINT skills :o I dont' have an actual pic of the fish.....so i doctored a random pic jus to show what the fin problem looks like. The curve closer to the body is actually a bit wider...but still not to the body. You all make great points...

1) deformed
2) $125
3) @LFS

muphd
11-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Could have been damaged as a young fry also. That would not necessarily denote malformation.

architect1
11-23-2007, 10:48 PM
That was a beautiful discus, I also Know what you mean the bad ones do stick out like a sore thumb, I hate seeing them like that, under feed not properly taken care of, and all the rest. The kicker is when they charge and arm and a leg for them, like common.