PDA

View Full Version : Harriett's Golds

Polar_Bear
11-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Harriett asked me to post this for her

Harriett:
Albino gold--what appears to be pink is not color, but muscle color showing thru--there is NO other color but yellow and 'clear' on these guys. Fed on BH, FBW, and in the past, CBW. They are about 16 months old, all I know is that they came in from Thailand from a couple of nobodys starting [and immediately going under] a tropical fish biz for pet shops. Son Chris got these in, held them and called me. Couldn't get in touch further with the guys or get more. They were about 1.75" when I got them. One time deal. From the looks of it, I have 2 males [6.6"] and 2 females --an inch smaller TL.

brewmaster15
11-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Larry/Harriet,
They look alot like a snow white on tetra bits or other pigments (maybe the blood worms contribution)....nice shape and nice fish...They don't look like albino though..at least not in the pics..

-al

jeep
11-17-2007, 10:15 AM
DITTO what Al said! I like those fish. Dibs if they ever spawn ;)

Diamond Discus
11-17-2007, 12:37 PM
DITTO what Al said! I like those fish. Dibs if they ever spawn ;)Hey, I want dibbs too!! :D

DISCUS USA
11-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Those look amazing,, looks like snow white crossed with calico cause of the gold crown and yellowish fins.. very nice i got dibbs on fry also.. :)

Ardan
11-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Very Nice!:)
Thanks for sharing

Ardan

architect1
11-17-2007, 06:06 PM
wow there beautiful thank you for sharing.

Discus_KC
11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Nice looking fish!!

Jack

troyclark
11-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Those fish look great.

Harriett
11-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Thank you again Larry for posting this for me. It is my guess they are albinos since they have NO hint of anything but yellow or lack of color and the eyes are yellow as well....non pigeon for sure, and no hint of any barlike markings ever. Again, I don't have any information on the background of these guys. When I got them as babies they were pure buttery yellow. As they grew, the yellow in the face and fins deepened and the color in the body got paler. They do eat lots of FBW but no other colorant--no tetra bits, etc. Your guess is as good as mine, all I know is I like them alot, they are extremely hardy and healthy, and I AM hoping to breed them when they get around to it. At about 17 months, they are showing NO SIGNS of being interested in breeding.
If and when they mature and get going, I will let anyone interested know. Cary had posted recently that he had I believe some whites that didn't get going until they were about 3 years old. Is that right, Cary?
Thanks for all your kind comments, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Best regards
Harriett

Diamond Discus
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
If and when they mature and get going, I will let anyone interested know. Cary had posted recently that he had I believe some whites that didn't get going until they were about 3 years old. Is that right, Cary?

Oh well, I have had to develop some patience over the years, even though it was not in my nature! :D I can wait. ;)

VL67
11-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Harriett,

Awesome looking discus! Good luck with your future breeding efforts.:) By the way, I have similar looking Jack Wattley discus that I purchased from Gabe via a local pet shop a couple of years ago. On the JW site they are called Platinum Golds. At the time, Gabe told me that they were a more refined golden crown ghost. I was honestly disappointed during their development that they did not start patterning like the picture on the JW site. However their size, shape, thickness, and hardiness is very impressive. Mine also have a blueish hue on the fins if seen from a certain light and angle. I hope my picture attachment shows up. HTH.:)

Regards,

Vince

Harriett
11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Hi, Vince, how are you?
Yes, I can see some similarities with the Platinum; yours has a more subtle color tone and is very nice. I like it alot!
Best regards
Harriett

Harriett
11-21-2007, 09:58 AM
I want to thank everyone for the really encouraging feedback on the golds; I've wanted you guys to see them for a while and it's delightful to hear that you all like them. They are the faves in my collection.
So thanks, Al, Ardan, Jack, Architect1, Troy, and Vince for your kind words! To Jeep, Diamond Discus, and Discus USA, again--so glad you like them and I'll keep you posted when and if they start breeding.

I sure would like to know what the hell they really are genetically.

Best regards,
Harriett

Kenny's Discus
11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Harriet, they are very beautiful discus indeed. :thumbsup: Not that this is important(just a preference) but I also don't think they are albinos because their pupil color don't look pink/maroon. Try to flash a light at their eyes(pupils) and you should be able to tell whether they are or not Harriet.

In any case I like them a lot especially the contrast between the subtle yellow color around their fins and the white base. Best of luck in breeding them soon.:)

Kenny

Harriett
11-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Kenny---Check your PM.
BEst regards
HArriett

Ryan
11-21-2007, 02:27 PM
I think they are Snow Whites. Snow whites are not albino. They have white bodies, sometimes with pink or yellow tint/hue, and a white iris with a black pupil. I've seen lots of adult snow whites that take on a pretty buttery yellow color when fed Tetra Bits or any food with red enhancers in them.

They look like nice, thick fish. Good luck with them. :thumbsup:

jeep
11-22-2007, 03:50 AM
I agree with Kenny and Ryan. These are not albino's, but IMO, they are Snow Whites or first generaton Snow White throwbacks with little or no pigment, which leads back to the original Ghost cross. But then again, I'm not genetics savy :o

Difficult to breed but definately worth the effort!!! BTW, I'd love to see them crossed with a non-PB albino, which would be even more semi-impossible, but one for the record books!!!!!!!!! ;)