PDA

View Full Version : 125 gal tank ?

jlspitler
11-23-2007, 06:57 PM
hello all. i just bought a 125 gallon tank and i have a quick question. it doesn't have the center brace. were do i get a 72 inch light strip at. i got it a good price and didn't even notice it didn't have the middle brace. or even a full length hood for this thing. thanks for any help.

rick.c
11-23-2007, 08:04 PM
heres a link to some diy hoods http://www.aquariaforums.com/entry_category.asp?CatID=57

Polar_Bear
11-23-2007, 08:06 PM
I would kill for a tank like that. There are many 72" light fixtures available, here http://www.aquatraders.com/ and here http://www.ahsupply.com/ are only 2 of the very many places you can purchase them from. I have lights from both places that are 72", I prefer the AHS one.

brewmaster15
11-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi,
Did that tank have a center brace that broke?.. its not usual for large tanks to not have center braces to prevent bowing.. It would have to be one really thick glass tank!

al

April
11-23-2007, 08:51 PM
i just got a new one and it has two center braces. each third. and then i have glass lids in each section.

JasonE
11-24-2007, 03:48 AM
hello all. i just bought a 125 gallon tank and i have a quick question. it doesn't have the center brace.

I've seen large glass boxes used to house reptiles that don't have center braces, not sure i would try to fill them with water. Was this sold to you as a fish aquarium or did the seller specify? Does it look like maybe it was cut out by a previous owner? I bought a 55 once that had housed a snake and they had cut out the center brace. I "hacked together" a makeshift center brace with some nylon rope but never felt good about it and eventually rotated it out of my setup just for peace of mind, trying that on a 125 would just scare me to death, lol. All of the tanks i've owned over the years appeared to be glued together strictly with silicon, they needed the bracing to maintain structural integrity (at least the larger ones). Not to discourage you on your purchase but I would be careful, 125 gallons is ALOT of water on your floor, especially if your home is carpeted. If you intend to fill it up without dealing with the brace issue you might want to do a "test run" outside and let it sit for a couple of days to see what happens.

B-O-F
11-24-2007, 04:38 AM
How thick is the glass ?

jlspitler
11-24-2007, 04:36 PM
thanks for all the replies. the glass i would say is about 3/4" and very heavy.it was used for salt water for 3 years and teh guy moved so he had to get rid of it. i wasn't paying attention when i got it. and polar bear if you want you can have it for the price i paid for it. i have teh stand for it as well. i can bring it to work with me tommorrow if your serious about it. or i can email pics of it.. i work at the grayslakes lake forest hospital. thanks again for the links and the help.

Darrell Ward
11-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Funny that you have a 125gal. with no center brace. I have one as well, and it has Discus in it! :D My tank is an older tank that is made of 1/2" glass, so no need for the bracing. The newer tanks need the bracing because they are made of thinner glass. I made a beautiful top for my tank using 1/4" Plexiglas. But yep, you guessed it, it bowed. :mad: Live and learn. I plan on using fish safe epoxy to add some braces to the rim of the tank, so I can use modern glass tops on it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. :D I was going to show you a picture of it, but I don't know how to resize it on this forum.:(

C_of_Discus
11-25-2007, 10:09 PM
The old larger tanks never had center brackets. I had a 125 gal 15 years ago and it never had them same as my 90 gal. They now only sell ones with Center brackets. I never had any issues with Bowing but try and find a glass lid. They are able to use thinner glass with the center brackets no idea if thats a good thing.

Tim