PDA

View Full Version : Parents sick after removing fries

thang45
11-23-2007, 10:04 PM
The fries have been removed from the parents for more than a week and now but they still look ill. At first I thought it was flukes so I added prazipro for a couple of days but no help, so I tried Furan-2 for two days because I thought it was bacteria and again same thing.

Now I added salt and do a lot of WC. One seems to look better but not eating and the other sometime shake but not eating as well. Both sometimes point 45 degree upward and stay there for 4 to 5 minutes but breathing normal. I have no clue why they do that.

Tank info:

Temp 84F
Sponge filter
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0

Does anyone know what is going on? Should I try PP or quick cure?

pcsb23
11-24-2007, 06:13 AM
Thang, I'm sorry but using meds for two days at a time is just about the worst thing you can do. If there is a bacterial infection it may now have started to develop resistance to Furan 2 which means if you ned to treat you will either have to use a different anti-biotic or use it afor an extended time and maybe even a higher dose, none of which is good.

If it is caused by flukes then treating with prazi for 2 days will also have no effect, it needs to be an extended treatment time.

Also all this has done is cause even more stress to the fish.

At this time I would advise plenty of w/c's only, make sure you use water that is properly dechlor'd and that the temperature is closely matched.

As a treatment doing salt dips for 30 minutes using 3 tablespoons per gallon may prove effective.

thang45
11-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Thang, I'm sorry but using meds for two days at a time is just about the worst thing you can do. If there is a bacterial infection it may now have started to develop resistance to Furan 2 which means if you ned to treat you will either have to use a different anti-biotic or use it afor an extended time and maybe even a higher dose, none of which is good.

If it is caused by flukes then treating with prazi for 2 days will also have no effect, it needs to be an extended treatment time.

Also all this has done is cause even more stress to the fish.

At this time I would advise plenty of w/c's only, make sure you use water that is properly dechlor'd and that the temperature is closely matched.

As a treatment doing salt dips for 30 minutes using 3 tablespoons per gallon may prove effective.

Hi Paul,

You are right I should thought of that before stopping at only 2 days. Currently I’m treating them with PP, and then hit them with furan-2 for 4 days. What do you think of this method?

pcsb23
11-24-2007, 12:32 PM
If there is an external parasite then the pp will help to deal with that. But one treatment with PP will not eliminate flukes, it needs to be repeated several times several days apart.

4 days of furan 2 is not worth doing imo. If you are going to treat with furan it should be a 10 day treatment ime.