View Full Version : How many angels with discus

Eyecandy
11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi there... I have read the threads about the combo and know there are strong opinions on both sides. IMO adding any fish to a setup discus tank runs the same risk of introducing nasties sooo.
Whatever gets addd is going to be appropriately qt.. so to those of you that have or do keep the combination....
I have a 4x2x2 with sand substrate, anubas etc with driftwood and great discus water parameters, 2 xp3's and a powerhead so plenty of filtration.. I have 2 discus about 5 1/2 in and one about 4 1/2 and another about 4 inches... Total of 4 left after a heater and xp3 malfunction that killed 2 others (smaller) after I moved everyone from the 72 gallon they were in. Don't even ask...
While they seem happy the tank is deep enough front to back footprint wise to easily support more fish. I tried smaller fish like cardinals and they did nothing for us.. I guess we are into a more dramtaic looking setup..
While adding more discus is certainly always an option... although an expensive one... my husband really likes angels and we thought if doable the combo would look great.. The discus are red/orange pigeon carnations?? with some black and rose reds so we thought if angels, the koi or orange marble would look great as their color and shape would add another dimension to the show tank.
So do I need to added another discus or 2 along with some angels so there are more than 4 discus...or will the four be ok???.. how many small angels can I add>> or should I just add one to avoid the territory and mating problems.... Don't worry, I know better than to add adult angels... want them to be much smaller anyways but if the tank can handle it would like a few... The only other tankmate would be a bn or peppermint pleco..
Any feedback on the peppermints or good sources for angels would also be great...
Sorry for the long post... Any feedback from those with experience with the combo would be fantastic. Thanks so much for your help..:angel::angel: Sue

Tropical Haven
11-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Sue,
This is a double edge sword kind of question and there are many opinions on this so I will give you mine. I have kept angels with discus before with success and without success. It is a definite hit or miss situation. Personally the 4 discus you have and their size should be fine without adding anymore but it is up to you to decide. If you are going to add angels I would not go with smaller angels because the have ferocious appetites and you discus will not be able to eat. Add adult size angels if your going to add them because they are less hyper and don't eat as much as smaller ones so your discus will have a chance to eat as well. When you combine these two species add the angels to the discus tank and not the other way around. The angels will be more territorial if you add discus to an angel tank and that is when real problems arise with the temperment of both fish.

Eyecandy
11-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi Scott.. Thanks for the quick feedback.
On your non success stories was it because the angels out raced the discus for the food and the discus died or were the discus too stressed or what happened?? How many discus/angels were together?
Do you think adding a single adult angel would be better than several medium/adults??? Is it just the individual temperments?? Am I truely better off just adding more discus... and living on rice and beans for awhile??? I have a 55 that's empty and being setup as a qt for whatever we decide so I guess if it didn't work the angel/angels would have at least a temp home... but I only want to keep the one large tank permanently running...
Are there any other good sized fish that could go in with the discus instead of the angels thay would still give us that added drama of a different body shape??? Would a fancy catfish or pleco of some sort work???
Any body else out there with some additional feedback>... the more the merrier as I am really undecided.
Thanks soooo much Sue:angel::angel:

Tropical Haven
11-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Sue,
The only bad experiences was when discus were added to an established angel tank. The angels kept chasing the discus around and stressed them out, no they didn't die but I removed the discus before any more harm was done to them. It all depends what size tank you want to use when it comes to finding out how many angels you want to keep with discus. You are better off sticking with discus with other non aggresive fish. I would let you know what you can add for discus but I am on may way out the door from work and just don't have the time right now, sorry. There are numerous threads on what type of fish you can keep with discus, I would check that out as well.

Eyecandy
11-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks Scott... The tank is a 4x2x2 120 gallon... I was wondering if one angel would be better than a few?? The other fish usually suggested are small and that's not the look we are after.. We want as much drama as possible.. so I guess it's either more discus or an attempt with the angels or an angel... or what do you think about some sort of fancy catfish or pleco that can take the 83/84 degree temps??? Any ideas..
Open to any ideas from others as well... I'm sure someone else out there has tried this... Any feedback is appreciated..
Al... You have both discus and angels..have you tried this or do you always keep them species only in show tanks... any advice as to do/ don't do or numbers...
Thanks in advance... Sue:angel::angel:.

Tropical Haven
11-29-2007, 11:35 AM
If you are using a 120 gallon tank then I would go with a small group of angels. This way they concentrate with their own kind and really don't worry about other fish in the tank.

Eyecandy
11-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Scott... Thanks again for the info.
So how many is a small school in my tank??? 4?? 6?? I'm also thinking that maybe I should get older juvies rather than adults so I don't run into the pairing/ real aggression situation too soon in the tank.. What do you think??
Hope I'm not being a bother but really trying to do this as right as possible in round one... I would really like to see it work. The angels will be in quarantine for quite awhile so that will give the discus, who are eating like little piggies, lots of time to feel the tank is really their's before there new friends join them.
Also with the tank temp between 83 and 84 were there any other heat tolerant plants the angels might prefer that you kept in your tank... Vals can't take the heat I don't think... or do you think they will be fine with lots of anubas and such..
Thanks again soooo much.. Sue:angel::angel:

Tropical Haven
11-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Pairing isn't much a problem in a tank that size because there is plenty of room to be territorial. I would go with 4 angels.

Eyecandy
11-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Again.... I'm a bit confused..
Scott it seems your thinking is I should go with adult sized angels to add to the 4- 5 1/2 inch discus... but in the post about discus/angels and bows, it seems others think the smaller angels (not babies) would be a better choice.. so there is a size/age difference between the two species...
Also does it matter that my tank is 4x2x2 (120) rather than 6x 18inches (125). Most combos seemed to have been done in a 125. Does the footprint matter in regards to the combination...
I am still debating adding more rose reds vs adding angels and would really like to try the angels but not at the expense of the discus.. As we speak my large carnation pigeon pair??? have laid eggs and they are orange not white on the filter intake tube so I guess everyone's happy in their new tank and they consider it theirs... By the time the angels were out of qt, there should no longer be an egg issue as I will either have wigglers or not.. so would I know immediately if its gonna work so I could pull the angels or is it a maturing kinda thing..
I know there is no absolute answer but is there a better chance with different sized and aged angels going into the tank..
Thanks again to everyone for feedback in this ongoing issue. Hope I am not becomming a pain in the neck.. Sue:angel::angel:

Tropical Haven
11-30-2007, 05:43 PM
As stated in my earlier thread I would put adult angels in there just because the discus will have a better chance of eating their share of the food compared to the smaller angels which have a higher metabolism and eat everything fast and quickly.