PDA

View Full Version : Ph for breeding

s10_xtreme
11-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey,
I have just moved and have found that my ph is around 7.5, I have 3 breeding pairs of discus. At my old house their eggs would hatch with little dead or fungused eggs. Now at my new place all the eggs turn white and die around the third day ( around when they are going to hatch ) Ive only have had a few hatch out ( like 3-4 )
I have a new r.o unit but the ph of the water comming out is still 7.2 .
Is it because of the ph that the eggs are not hatching????
What is the best way I can get the ph down for my breeders????
Thanks

s10_xtreme
11-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Just found some stuff called Seachem: Discus Buffer, It says it will keep the ph around 6.0
Is this stuff any good to use???

White Worm
11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Nope, it will fluctuate depending on your kH which is not good for discus. pH is not as important as gH (hardness). Thats what keeps the eggs from being fertilized (membrane penetration). Get yourself a gH test kit. 3-6 is good for breeding.

Tropical Haven
11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
I have a new r.o unit but the ph of the water comming out is still 7.2 .

Something isn't right about your RO unit, the water coming out should not be 7.2. Straight RO water should be a lot lower then that.

Rod
11-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Something isn't right about your RO unit, the water coming out should not be 7.2. Straight RO water should be a lot lower then that.
agreed, my tapwater is 8 ph, yet the pure ro produced from that water is 6.5

How old is the membrane? As they age the conductance and ph will rise.

AADiscus
11-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Have you checked the hardness of your water? I think this is your problem and not the PH.

ShinShin
11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
I agree with Scott and Rod. Distilled, deionized water and R/O water is all slightly acidic.

Mat

lybrasoft
11-29-2007, 07:11 PM
The RO is not working well. Test the TDS of your RO. That should answer the question if the filters need to be changed or not.
You can by a TDS meter at a very good price. $ 25
Check this link out:
http://www.sunrisetropicals.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://sunrisetropicals.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1111TDSMeter.jpg&target=tlx_new&title=TDS%20Meter

In case your RO filters are good which i find hard to believe i would put 2 inline.

Let us know your TDS reading.

s10_xtreme
11-29-2007, 07:11 PM
The RO unit is new.... It is a RO DI 6 stage filter. I have a TDS meter on it. It shows around 130 going in and 0 comming out.
Is the RO membrain shot or is it doing its job?? would the TDS be at 0 even if the membrain is not good??
Sorry for all the questions.... Ive been keeping fish for over 17 years and have never ran into water problems....Just another thing to learn,,:o

Tropical Haven
11-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Well your membrane is fine if your reading zero for your tds. If your membrane was shot then it would read higher. My guess is whatever you are using to read your PH with is probably old and is not accurate.

Kenny's Discus
11-30-2007, 01:38 AM
I agree with Scott...if tds of your product water does does read zero try to check your ph tester. Regardless of whether your ph is at 6.5 or 7.2 it is not the cause for the "white" eggs. Your male probably didn't do his job, or he might just be too young. If you happen to be there next time when they lay, try to see if the male indeed makes any run over the eggs.

Good luck!

Kenny

lybrasoft
12-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I agree with the guys. The PH reading i believe it is not accurate. About the males doing their job it is a delicate subject :) I read somewhere that males raised in a hard water have problems fertilizing the eggs because of the deposits on their sperm channel. There are lots of aspects we don't even think about. The most important is to keep on trying untill you succeed!!
Good luck !

AADiscus
12-03-2007, 09:06 PM
lybrasoftRe: Ph for breeding
I agree with the guys. The PH reading i believe it is not accurate. About the males doing their job it is a delicate subject :) I read somewhere that males raised in a hard water have problems fertilizing the eggs because of the deposits on their sperm channel. There are lots of aspects we don't even think about. The most important is to keep on trying untill you succeed!!
Good luck !

It's called patience! ;);)

Discus-Hans
12-04-2007, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=lybrasoft;424946] I read somewhere that males raised in a hard water have problems fertilizing the eggs because of the deposits on their sperm channel. There are lots of aspects we don't even think about. [QUOTE]

This is a HOAX and I think why it's out there and were it's comming from :) :) :)

Ph has nothing to do with white eggs. Ph is only important for feeding the fry on the parents. A given number (don't 100% agree with that) is 5.8 to 6.5 get the best slime on your parents for the fry.

Hans

lybrasoft
12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=lybrasoft;424946] I read somewhere that males raised in a hard water have problems fertilizing the eggs because of the deposits on their sperm channel. There are lots of aspects we don't even think about. [QUOTE]

This is a HOAX and I think why it's out there and were it's comming from :) :) :)

Ph has nothing to do with white eggs. Ph is only important for feeding the fry on the parents. A given number (don't 100% agree with that) is 5.8 to 6.5 get the best slime on your parents for the fry.

Hans

I took it practically a joke too but after i discovered it in more than a few materials I started to be confused.

Please lighten us Hans. Why do you think it's out and where it's coming from.
I am trying to eliminate a few from many confusions I and maybe others have on this subject.

Thanks Hans. :)

s10_xtreme
12-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Well I think you guys are right about my test kit, I am now getting a Ph of 6.5 out of my RO system.
So as of now my tds is 0
PH is 6.5
Temp is 84

Ive had 2 pairs lay eggs and both spawns have been lost to fungus!!!! The eggs seem to be ok till the third day.....

These pairs have spawned at my old house and raised the fry to the free swimming stage ( fry were eating off their backs )
So I know the males are fertile....
Its driving me nuts that the eggs are being lost to fungus......
Anyone know whats might be wrong???

AADiscus
12-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Sounds to me like your water is to soft and your male isn't fertilizing.