PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine...35 or 90 gallon?

Rogerthedodger
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi I currently have a 90 gallon planted tank with 7 discus. I purchased all of these discus from LFS back in may. They were about 2" when purchased and now range between 3 " and 4 1/2". I am a little sorry I didn't do a bit more research before I jumped in but can't undo the past. From reading here I think I have learned quite a bit, however I realize I'm still far from experianced. Anyway...I'm thinking about purchasing two adult 6-7" higher quality discus from a respected breeder here in Canada. My question is......can I quarantine these two fish in a 35 gallon hex for 6 weeks or should I move my smaller 7 discus into the 35 gallon (barebottom) and put the two large, expensive, beautiful, fish in the 90 gallon? These are the only two tanks I own.....more is not an option....:(

I value any thoughts any of you have on this subject,

thanks

pcsb23
11-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Whilst I'm not a fan of hex shaped tanks the 35 gal should be fine for qt'ing these fish :)

good luck and lets see some pics when you've got them :D

Rogerthedodger
11-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Whilst I'm not a fan of hex shaped tanks the 35 gal should be fine for qt'ing these fish :)

good luck and lets see some pics when you've got them :D

Paul I will post pics once I get them...(I'm so excited).....could I ask....the 35 hex....do you object to the "look" or the "funtionality" of the 35?

pcsb23
11-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Hex tanks tend to be higher than wide, less surface area, so less O2/CO2 exchange and therefore less discus!. I like the look of them.

Tropical Haven
11-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I agree with Paul on this, a hex tank has very little surface area compared to a rectangular tank.