PDA

View Full Version : Discus in NY

Ed Hengel
11-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Hello all, I've been keeping/raising discus for more years than I'd like to admit. Although I have several tanks, I'm currently down to just one 55 gal discus tank. As is the way of all things most of the discus have come to the end of their tenure. I haven't purchased any fish in a long time, and I now find myself once again looking for a reliable source for quality discus. If anyone knows of a reputable breeder or a store in the New York area, especially north of the city, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Ed

Fern
11-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Hello all, I've been keeping/raising discus for more years than I'd like to admit. Although I have several tanks, I'm currently down to just one 55 gal discus tank. As is the way of all things most of the discus have come to the end of their tenure. I haven't purchased any fish in a long time, and I now find myself once again looking for a reliable source for quality discus. If anyone knows of a reputable breeder or a store in the New York area, especially north of the city, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed, north of the city would be Harlem, Washington Heights or Inwood. I can direct you to one of my local source in NJ if you drive, it's 30 minutes from the city. He gets nice Discus if you are looking to hand select at good prices. If you do not drive and commute by subway there is a place mentioned here in Queens.

Fernando

Ed Hengel
11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
By your definition of north of the city, residing here in Putnam County puts me somewhere on the outer reaches of the center of the universe (NYC). I do drive however, so Queens and even New Jersey is within reach, although I do tend to avoid the experience if at all possible.

Ed

brewmaster15
11-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi Ed,
Welcome to SimplyDiscus.com!:)

Take care,
al

Fern
11-30-2007, 10:42 PM
By your definition of north of the city, residing here in Putnam County puts me somewhere on the outer reaches of the center of the universe (NYC). I do drive however, so Queens and even New Jersey is within reach, although I do tend to avoid the experience if at all possible.

Ed

Hi Ed and welcome, Putnam county for us is up state NY. There is a place in Pearl River I think exit 5 or 6 off the Palisades. It's a nice place but I do not like how he keeps his discus. Some are very low quality, he put sick discus together new shipment. To me expensive and not worth it, if you want info let me know.

fernando

Christina
12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
We do say upstate for Putman, but "north of the city" doesn't mean Harlem! Harlem is part of Manhattan, and all the other places listed are south of the Bronx!

That is definitely not north of the city--unless now the Bronx is upstate too!

Fern
12-03-2007, 01:06 PM
We do say upstate for Putman, but "north of the city" doesn't mean Harlem! Harlem is part of Manhattan, and all the other places listed are south of the Bronx!

That is definitely not north of the city--unless now the Bronx is upstate too!

You are so right, since I am originally from the city I sometimes do forget that I am a BRONX resident.lol I am sure people have made that mistake....

Christina
12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Most people from Manhattan don't consider the Bronx to be part of the city anyhow, and you being a transplant kind of explains things ;)

Ed Hengel
12-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Most people from Manhattan don't consider the Bronx to be part of the city anyhow, and you being a transplant kind of explains things ;)

I know we are getting a bit off topic here, but it's funny that you should say how those in Manhattan don't concider The Bronx a part of the city. As it happens I spent the first 25 years of life on Bronx Blvd. and 213th st. To us the "City" was Manhattan, a place we barely ever ventured. In fact my own children, who grew up here in Putnam County, spend more time in the city than I ever did.

Ed

numinous
12-04-2007, 02:03 PM
My Grandparents, who are still alive and in their 90s, remember when the Bronx was farms and was considered not only "upstate", but "the country".

DISCUS USA
12-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Noooo!!!! ive lived in manhattan bronx and queens ,,you know what boro us manhattan people dont consider part of nyc,,its the forgotten boro STATEN iSLAND.. in my 33 years ive only actually set foot on staten once to see a girl if it wasnt for that id never went..lol the ferry is free too but unless you got business there most nyc people dont really go there that i know of for the hell of it..lol

Elite Aquaria
12-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Welcome to simply...I do not know of local people but I do have many fish available...I have a current auction in progress.

Ed Hengel
12-05-2007, 07:18 PM
"the forgotten boro STATEN iSLAND"

I thought Staten island was in New Jersey :)

Fern
12-05-2007, 07:45 PM
"the forgotten boro STATEN iSLAND"

I thought Staten island was in New Jersey :)

LOL:)

Fern
12-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Christina I meant to ask, are you in the MEDICAL field?:)

lildark185
12-11-2007, 07:59 PM
If you do not drive and commute by subway there is a place mentioned here in Queens.

Where is this place in Queens?

Fern
12-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Where is this place in Queens?

Blue Gold Aquarium at 8612 Whitney Avenue, Elmhurst,NY 11373

Ed here is the link which you may have read already, FYI this is the source of those discus. I believe he may have received a recent shipment, I would like to take a drive to see what he received but I just do not have any more room, I am full to capacity.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60502

In case you decide to go, its the second exit after the Triboro Bridge heading towards the Verazano Bridge exit. I tell you this only because Mapquest can be confusing.

Ed Hengel
12-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Hey Fernando

From what I gather it looks like Blue Gold Aquarium at 8612 Whitney Avenue, Elmhurst,NY 11373, is just off Broadway. Is the exit you are referring to the Roosevelt Ave./Broadway exit off the BQE? My son used to live in Woodside on 54th a half block up from Roosevelt. I can't believe that I was so close to that store so many times and never knew it existed. I wish I had discovered this forum a year ago. Of course both of the boys now live in Brooklyn, so I would have to make a special trip to Queens to check out the goods. Hopefully I can make the trip there someday soon.

Speaking of which, It just so happens that I have to go to a wake out in Levitown on Friday. But I'm not sure my wife would be too keen on the idea of making a detour on the way home, especially if it meant getting stuck in Friday afternoon rush hour traffic.

If you do make it out there be sure to clue me in as to what's swimming around those tanks.

Thanks
Ed

DISCUS USA
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Its worth the detour Ed i been there few times now never knew that place existed either.. the owner is a discus nut too obviously because his basement in his could could be any speices of tropical fish but he choose soley discus and basement at his store also packed with discus.. :) its like a mini chinatown the area of the store its a safe neighborhood not located in some ghetto its pretty nice around there maybe go to asian pastery shop for a mini cheese cake and coffee while your in the neighborhood.. good luck .. :)

Blackwater Aquaria
12-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed: how are the Discus that you got from me doing. Also if you are looking for more Discus any of the sponsors on the forum you cant go wrong also give Al a call he will lead you in the right direction I dont think you will find what you might be looking ror in a pet shop but than agin you might luck out. Good LUCK MIKE

DISCUS USA
12-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Mike trust me lol not lucking out the quality is insane at Blue Golds .. also Al got the best fish too when people hear hes the owner of Simply they send him GRADE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA lol only top grade so whatever Al has to sell its high grade.. :)

Fern
12-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi Ed, I do not think is a good idea to detour. Wifes do not like detours and you definately do not want to be rushed.

He may have most of his discus in his basement at home and once you get to his shop you may need to drive to his home 5 minutes away. This is the reason I do not recommend wife.....

If you are definately interested in buying, consider Kenny a sponsor or others here, I do recommend. Even though the source of these discus in Malaysia is also a sponsor here. If you are just looking and will be heading there, yes it is the BROADWAY EXIT heading towards seventy something street...

Ed Hengel
12-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Your right Fernando, the time I would like to take and the time my wife would consider adequate is more than likely not the same. I'd be better off making a trip at my leisure, even if it was just to take a look. From what I saw of what was shipped, they must be something to look at.

And Mike, your fish are doing well, thanks. One of the striated is a little shy, but the others are holding their own, especially the pidgin blood. The funny thing is, when I had only two fish all those months, the leopard was always hiding, now that there are four more fish in the tank, he is all colored up, front and center, trying to monopolize any food that drops to the bottom. Go figure.

Ed

Blackwater Aquaria
12-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi Ed: how are the Discus you picked up from me doing send me an E-Mail and let me know. Mike

lildark185
12-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Just wondering...how is the pricing at Blue Gold Aquarium?

poconogal
12-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Noooo!!!! ive lived in manhattan bronx and queens ,,you know what boro us manhattan people dont consider part of nyc,,its the forgotten boro STATEN iSLAND.. in my 33 years ive only actually set foot on staten once to see a girl if it wasnt for that id never went..lol the ferry is free too but unless you got business there most nyc people dont really go there that i know of for the hell of it..lol
You got that right, as a former Staten Islander (Brooklynite before that, though) talk about a forgotten boro!

There's Discus Madness in NJ. I've purchased from him and he does have nice juvies. He's been very helpful to me although there have been issues with others, but I can only speak of my own experience. He (Mathias) does have a website you can check out: www.discusmadness.com

Bryman
12-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Hello,

Here are two pet shops that are located in Nanuet, NY. They usually have discus in stock. Fred's usually has a greater selection. Neither usually carries wild fish.

Regards,
Bryan

Pets Place II - 120 E. Rt. 59, Nanuet. 623-5565
Fred's Pet Center - 11 Spring Valley Market Place, Spring Valley. 425-4848

DISCUS USA
12-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Ive been to petshops all over nyc and only one that has the definition of quality discus is BLUE GOLD AQUAiUM,,sorry to repeat myself would hate to see you guys sent to lfs with discus in bad condition stunted,hanging in corner with white feces coming out of it and sunken in stomaches actually depressing.. blue gold is ny s best kept secret ..

jmho
hector nyc..

Fern
12-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Ive been to petshops all over nyc and only one that has the definition of quality discus is BLUE GOLD AQUAiUM,,sorry to repeat myself would hate to see you guys sent to lfs with discus in bad condition stunted,hanging in corner with white feces coming out of it and sunken in stomaches actually depressing.. blue gold is by far ny s best kept secret ..

jmho
hector nyc..

Actually, there are many discus hobbiest/ importers around the tri-state area. I just learn of this site 2 yrs ago and I've collected discus for a while and purchased from many sellers. Some individuals are not into furums, and there are many reasons why we may never hear from them. Mr. Huan for example has been importing for years and guess what we just found out of him. I know of Jack in NJ which I found 2 1/2 years ago. So, trust me there are others sources out ther, it's a matter of someone asking.:)

DISCUS USA
12-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Fern hi,, yes i know of other sources but they import from thailand but say they really imported from singapore or china but they never want to tell you the source/breeder of the fish because then you will know for sure the fish are not from where seller says they are from and the numbers of discus they bring in not nearly same as blue gold therefore you have more seletion of which ever strain you want.That i know of Blue Gold is the king of NY right now .. even other petshops from tri state area buy whole sale off mr huang.. he s the man right,now in NY .. i never bothered taking pics of all the big tanks full of his discus in his home or petshop basement but its definately worth going ..

Ed Hengel
12-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey hector
I for one wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of Blue Gold's stock. And I'd venture a guess that Mr. Huang wouldn't mind all of us seeing what he had to offer either. Soooo, if you ever happen to be at his store, and happen to have a camera...

Ed

DISCUS USA
12-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Ed i dont work for Blue Gold so maybe you need to speak to mr huang about pictures sorry..

lildark185
12-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I've been to the store this past week and they have a good selection of very healthy discus. Mr. Huang said that a new shipment would be coming in towards the end of the year. :)

Ed Hengel
12-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Good to know. Thanks.

DISCUS USA
12-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah definately next shipment should be even more interesting than last bunch of high quality goodies.. :)

mikesmac
12-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I keep seeing posts about this place and was going to be in the city so I called to try to get some info and whoever answered the phone wasn't much for volunteering information. I don't know if it was a language barrier problem or what but he did give me the hours he was open after a few tries but then hung up on me. I would have liked to know if he would be able to pack up anything I bought good enough to make the 7 or 8 hour drive back to my house. In any case I was about 5 miles from the place yesterday and started heading in that direction with the intention of checking it out but ended up sitting in traffic long enough to give up on the idea. That 5 miles probably would have added at least 3 hours to my drive (there & back) because traffic was backed up on the outbound also...and it wasn't even rush hour yet. If I would have known for sure that if I saw something worthwhile that I'd be able to get it home I might have stuck it out.

Mike

MSD
12-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Just to let out a great secret, Blue Gold Aquarium Inc. is one of, if not the best Shop for Discus in NYC, Nassau, or Suffolk County. The address and phone number is: 8612 Whitney Ave, Elmhurst, NY 11373 Phone: (718) 565-8583 I started a new thread because people may think its in Flushing from the other thread. Its off Queens Blvd and Broadway. You head North on Broadway and look very carefully for Whitney Ave. The Discus are AMAZING, and the prices are as good or better then the internet sellers, no shipping, and you get to pick the fish! The owner even held my order for a few days as I was not prepared to take them home when I visited. Call first, and ask when a new order is in. The shop looks drab and there is only one discus tank upstairs, but ask to see the discus in the basement, then be prepared to go broke. A must see for any NY discus fan. The fish are from Malaysia, is that's a turn off be forewarned, but they eat color bits and other dry food as well as frozen, and the owner will feed them for you. After so much disappointment looking at stores all over NY, I was like a kid after leaving here. Look, enjoy, and hopefully you'll be as happy as me, I bought 12 3 to 4" fish (bodies) for $450.

mikel
12-26-2007, 07:01 PM
When I visit NYC during spring break, I am definitely going there. I want my BLUE SAPPHIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p (I have already entered the address and phone number into my rolodex...thanks for the info). mike

MSD
12-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Let me modify my answer a bit by saying that the question was about local discus sellers in NY not private board sponsors. 99% of the time it is better to buy from the reputable dealers that sponsor themselves on the board. This is a rare case of someone wanting a shop local to NY and it happens to have excellent Discus stock.

Ed Hengel
12-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Sooo, I was in Brooklyn today dropping off my son at school and decided to swing by Blue and Gold on my way home. This is a very small shop with the most extraordinary discus I've ever seen for sale, and this being with them nearly sold out of their latest crop with a new shipment expected next week. Be that as it may I found myself compelled to purchase one of their checkerboard just the same.

Be forewarned, there is somewhat of a language barrier here, being that you are indeed in one of Queen's more ethnic neighborhoods the conversation was mostly "How much for these beautiful fish?" "Fifty dolla, how many you want?" "Just one for now, thank you." "One?" "Yes, just one" (discretion being the better part of valor when one is introducing new members to a family that the matriarch believes is all well and good as it stands) "We get more next week." "That's great."

And what a one. I've been keeping and raising discus for a very long time, and I can honestly say that the "one" is one of the finest fish I've ever had the privilege of gracing one of my tanks. It glows.

Prior to my departure this morning my daughter was convinced that I had volunteered to take her place riding shotgun on the way down and driving the family wagon home on this latest journey to deliver her brother and his prized futon to their respective places on the tenth floor (great view) of his current dormitory, in order to sneak a peek at his current love interest (which, I have to admit would have been a side benefit, but alas it was not to be. The phrase "Fore warned is fore armed" comes to mind. I guess this time was yet the right time for such a significant circumstance for such a delicate young lady to endure,) however, my cover was blown when I refused a last minute invitation, received by cell phone on my way home, to dinner and a movie with my lovely wife and said daughter, with the excuse that I had to acclimate my newest prize possession to its new home.

Oh well, once again warmed over Christmas dinner leftovers (accompanied by a reasonably fine Bordeaux, to take the edge off. of course), are but a small price to pay for one's passion. Don't you think?

Ed

Fern
12-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Wow Ed it seems like you may become a regular customer, lol.:)

lildark185
12-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Any pics of the finest discus to grace your tank? :)

Ed Hengel
12-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Wow Ed it seems like you may become a regular customer, lol.:)

If only. To become a regular customer I'd have to have a few more tanks.

Ed

Ed Hengel
12-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Any pics of the finest discus to grace your tank? :)

My digital photography skills are a bit lacking on all counts to say the least. However this link (if it works) http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60502
will bring you to the Checkerboards that were shipped, one of which I purchased.

Ed

lildark185
12-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I thought you would have had a personal picture of the discus but they are all stunningly beautiful.

lildark185
01-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I just called them an hour ago and the shipment is coming in Sunday. :D

Ed Hengel
01-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Did they mention when they would be ready for sale?

lildark185
01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
They didn't mention, but I'd imagine shortly after their arrival.

brewmaster15
01-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi all,
Blue Gold isn't a sponsor here and this thread has really turned into a Sales promo for them....... so I am closing this thread. Sorry all.

-al