PDA

View Full Version : What is the name for these?

Dennis The Mennis
11-30-2007, 03:48 PM
What is the name, both common and formal for these cats?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29955&d=1195762330

C_of_Discus
11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Corydoras sterbai common cory cats

Great little guys good with Discus

Apistomaster
12-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I raised over 500 Corydoras sterbai last year and was able to get this photo of them schooling. They are the prettiest of the Corys.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/Corydoras.jpg

Discus.Lover
12-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I love cory's they do an awasome job cleaning up the tank..especially when you have a nice school of them in a big planted tank...they can get in the smallest places to get the little peices of food....i always keep a school of a few different kinds in my planted tanks...

tonymaccs
12-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I agree- Sterbai are a great looking and well behaved little cat. Can't wait to set up my community tank and get some.
Tony

s10_xtreme
12-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I raised over 500 Corydoras sterbai last year and was able to get this photo of them schooling. They are the prettiest of the Corys.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/Corydoras.jpg

How did you go about breeding them.. I just picked up 6 and I would like to try and get some fry from them...

MelonHead
01-08-2008, 12:06 AM
That's what I have in with my discus. Cool little fellas, huh?

White Worm
01-08-2008, 12:15 AM
I only have sterbai also. They do well at discus temps. They do hang together all the time and dont bother the discus.

digthemlows
01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
I have two of these and two of the cories that are kind of red/green with black running through thier bodies, and I like these the best! Really fun to watch..........my wife says they remind her of dogs........they are our "tank dogs"...........they do look like they are wagging tails when they scoot along the bottom!

thang45
01-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I bought 6 almost 2 years ago and now I'm down to one. I love them and thinking about getting more.

tcyiu
02-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I bought 6 almost 2 years ago and now I'm down to one. I love them and thinking about getting more.

They are a really cool fish. I bought one as a test (to check compatibility with discus, temperature etc.). I didn't buy more (to build a school) because in the beginning, this particular fish was way too energetic. My family called it "The Psycho Fish" because it was everywhere at the same time.

It's doing really well now and has calmed down a lot. In its current state, it is an absolute joy to have in the tank. As an aside, the largest clown loach appears to have adopted this Sterbai as a pet. They hang out together. It's really cool to watch.

Tim

midazolam
02-02-2008, 05:15 PM
How did you go about breeding them.. I just picked up 6 and I would like to try and get some fry from them...

I started with 12 in a well planted tank and now have 14. They just kinda do their own thing and breed for me. I get eggs about every 40 days it seems like and maybe one or two will find a spot to hide and make it to adulthood. I'm about to put my discus in the tank and I'm sure that will be an end to my breeding program :)

planetcatfish has a lot of info on breeding them, including posts from Larry.