PDA

View Full Version : need help

bearcat
12-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Can anyone help put me in the right direction? My storage tank is 25 feet from my main fish tank,what type of pump can I get to drive the water that far so I can do water changes. I know why....is the storage tank that far away,well space won't allow me to put it closer to the tank.
If you have any suggestion that would be great, and could you advise were I can order them from.

Thanks
Rick

Greg Richardson
12-03-2007, 01:51 AM
You can buy pond pump from Walmart that will pump it that far for around $55.00. I've been using theirs for years now.

Don Trinko
12-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Sump pump works also and many of the pumps in the catologs but you will get more flow with the pond or sump pump. Don T.

poconogal
12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
I used a Supreme Mag 5 pump, hooked up to my 5/8" python hose to pump from my storage barrel to my tank, about 35 feet away. You need to make sure that whatever pump you purchase has enough head, i.e., is capable of pumping up vertically from the floor to the top of your tank, probably about 5 feet up, plus the distance of 25 feet from your storage container to your tank.

These guys helped me size the pump and I bought mine thru them:

www.marinedepot.com

mikesmac
12-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Rick,

I also use the Supreme Magdrive pumps, they have been pretty reliable for me. I run a 2400 gph one from my holding tank to my biggest aquarium but that is just so I don't have to sit there all day waiting for it to fill. I have it plumbed right in with 1.5" pvc running to 2 bulkheads entering underneath a large undergravel filter which dissipates the current (and rinses out the gravel) so it's just a matter of plugging / un-plugging it. This would be overkill for most tanks...the 2400 puts out a lot of pressure / volume. The least expensive place I've found for this brand of pump is called Petsolutions.com They have their own website and also sell on eBay. I've bought from them both ways and haven't had any problems.

Mike

FishLover888
12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I bought one of the 1/6 HP (edit, I checked the HP and it is 1/6 hp)flood pump on e-Bay (less thank $70 I think, someone here gave the link) and my storage bin is about 12' away from the tank. It uses the standard 7/8" tube.

This pump does put lot of presure and I have to tie some cloth at the end to soft the current into the tank. It works fine and I could pump 44g of water in few minutes.

rick.c
12-03-2007, 06:02 PM
i have a 1/6 hp pump from home depot ,ran flowguard water lines to all my tankes . Now just a flip of the switch and water goes to tanks the pump works good tanks are 25-30 feet away from storage contaner.yaho no more buckets

bearcat
12-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I have tried to locate a pond pump here in Fredericton , Canada but have not had any luck but I will keep trying.
The supreme mag 5 Connie and Mike mention sounds great I will check this out also.
Thanks for all your help and if anyone else has an suggestions please let me know.

Thanks much
Rick

bearcat
12-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all you help,I have purchased a mag7 from a company in Canada on line.

Rick