PDA

View Full Version : Normal looking Discus stopped eating.

DiscusKeeper403
12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi,

I have a smaller sized Discus about 4 inches, who stopped eating. I feed blood worms on occasion, Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp, Discus pellets, Krill and sinking wafers on occasion also. I have been meaning to pick up some beef heart for some time and will probably get some this weekend. I add garlic into the mysis shrimp, to aid with any pathogens and help with digestion.

Anyways, when the fish was eating normally and had a strong appetite I noticed that one day he had this weird bowl movement. It was long, but had color. I knew this wasn't a good sign. I kept an eye on him, looking at his stomach and colors. Checking any indicators of sickness. Nothing.

I noticed a little while later that he stopped eating. He looks fine to this day but refuses to eat while the others munch down on their favorite foods. I also saw him pass a bowl movement a few days ago which looked fine. He is completely healthy looking no rapid gill movement, good color and the stomach looks fine. Do you guys think this could be internal parasitic, or internal bacterial?

I have some Metronidozle I believe it is also called Flagyl, would it help?

Water stats are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I do daily water changes (20 percent) and keep the tank at a constant 30 degrees. The tank is 55 gallon bare-bottom, and has 6 Discus. Tank will be upgraded in size once the Discus get bigger and I move into a house. Any help would be much appreciated!

DiscusKeeper403
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey guys, a little help? Don't mean to be rude or anything, but I really want to help my fish, and need a little advice. I was recommended to treat the tank with Fluberdazole and Praziquantal/ What do you guys think??

pcsb23
12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
It could be internal parasites, prazi will deal with tapeworms, flubendazole will deal with other worms. Levimasole I believe is another good option here, though I've not tried it yet. You can use prazi and flubendazole together too.

DiscusKeeper403
12-04-2007, 08:20 PM
It could be internal parasites, prazi will deal with tapeworms, flubendazole will deal with other worms. Levimasole I believe is another good option here, though I've not tried it yet. You can use prazi and flubendazole together too.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it is parasitic then?

I saw a few videos of side-effects Discus can get when under going flubendazole treatment, so I may end up just half dosing that medication. I will pick up the medication on Sunday!

pcsb23
12-05-2007, 08:57 AM
I think the problems some experience with flubendazole is they dissolve it in too much of the solvent, it needs the very smallest amount possible. I would use a full strength dose. If you have concerns over flubendazole use levinmasol (tramisol)