PDA

View Full Version : How offten do you worm your Discus ?

BSW
12-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I have 8 - 5" Discus now. They were 3.5" when I got them about 4 months ago. They always ate like pigs. And still eat a lot but, it has slowed down some. I'm sure they were wormed before I bought them, and I'm wondering if it's time to do it again ? They all look healthy, active and such. But the amount they eat has decreased some. Is this normal as they reach adulthood, or is it time to worm ?
I have Liquid PraziPro on hand, should I use that if it is time to worm ?
B

RyanH
12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
As a general rule, I don't like to medicate my fish unless I'm seeing specific symptoms.

If your fish are eating well but still look thin, you may want to deworm them. If they're growing and appear healthy, don't.

Growth will slow once they hit 5" IME.

B-O-F
12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Worms would normally cause an animal ( and presumably fish ) to eat much more rather than less because the worms are taking all the goodness. I think a lower appetite wold be normal as they reach adulthood.

Hans Kloss
12-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Once, shortly after buying them and diagnose.
Hans

Apistomaster
12-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Worms would normally cause an animal ( and presumably fish ) to eat much more rather than less because the worms are taking all the goodness. I think a lower appetite wold be normal as they reach adulthood.

Without presuming, but based on actual experience, infected discus do not eat more to make up for what the parasites take away.
They divert their reserves to an immune system response and that often means they do not have good appetites. It is a mistake to think otherwise.
At five inches, Discus have reached early maturity and no longer are in need of such a constant supply of food. They will continue to grow but a much reduced rate until they reach the normal maximum size of the strain or species to which they belong. Fish never stop growing as long as they are alive and healthy. It merely slows to an imperceptible rate at full maturity.

BSW
12-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses to my question.
I feel sure it is best to not medicate until necessary, I was worried there wouldn't be much time to make a decision, if in fact they did need worming. BUT, color is great, activity is great, no white stringy poo or anything like that. They just don't eat as aggressively as they did 4 months ago. So I have cut them back to twice a day, where I was feeding about as often as I could (up to 6 times a day) previously. They seem to be perking up and making haste now when food is put in the tank. Instead of lolly gagging around. So I guess I've got young adults ! I'm still keeping a close eye on them. Just shotgun nervous I suppose. I love em' so much now, I sure wouldn't want anything to happen to them out of my stupidity.
Thanks ya'll -
B

MaryPa
12-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Once, shortly after buying them and diagnose.
Hans

:D Han`s did it for me.;)