PDA

View Full Version : We've lost a good friend

chompy
12-06-2007, 12:29 AM
I came across a sadening thread today on another forum. I'm sure she had many friends here on simply, I know she will be missed.

I had a meeting with Barb Newell scheduled for tonight. When I came to her house there was just a policeman who told me that she past away today December 5, 2007.
I think that it is important for our community and especially for those who expected to meet her later to know that.
Please remember her in your prayers.
She helped a lot to others. God bless her soul.

Michael

phidelt85
12-06-2007, 01:08 AM
This is terrible news. I will keep her and her family in my prayers as well as those who have personally known Barb.

Ryan
12-06-2007, 01:10 AM
I am shocked and upset by this. She was just posting online a couple of days ago. I am trying to figure out what (if anything) happened. I'm going to lock this thread until I can confirm something. Tyler, please PM me and tell me where you read this -- I did a brief search on a few forums and couldn't find any mention of it.

I don't want this to be true :( I am going to lock the thread until I know for a fact that it is. If anyone has any information, please contact me by PM.

Thanks.

brewmaster15
12-06-2007, 04:38 AM
Everyone,
As best I can tell, I'm sorry to say it looks like we have lost Barb.:( We are still trying to confirm this and find out what happened.....but at this point it looks like Barb passed way yesterday. I'm in shock over this as well..I've known Barb for many years as a friend.

Please keep her and her family in your thoughts. We'll update you as we learn of anything... Please let us know of anything you hear as well.

For now, lets leave this closed... but I am moving it to general.

Thanks,
al

Lisachromis
12-06-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't know exactly what happened, but someone close to us here at Simply died. Barb Newell passed away yesterday. I do not know any details other than she passed away. I figured it was important enough to pass on to everyone here.

My condolences to her family and friends.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Lisachromis
12-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Oh.. didn't see the other thread. :(

brewmaster15
12-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks Lisa,
please let me know if you hear anything further..This is very very sad news.:(

I'm still trying to confirm this.:(:(:(:(
-al

brewmaster15
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I tried calling her home, but only got their answering machine... so I left a message.... If I hear anything I'll let you all know.:(

My stomach is in knots.

-al

brewmaster15
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Everyone,

I just got off the phone with Cary Strong, as we have both known Barb so long, we tried to get in touch with her Family and confirm this.

Cary has spoken with Barb's close friend Keith... and I am sad to say that Barb Newell passed away yesterday.. :( I don't have any more detail than that.

I hope to be in touch with Keith latter today and I will get as much Details as I can. As a forum... we will try to help them out as best we can... I hope people in the toronto area can help as well.. Barbs hatchery is going to be a major problem for the family.

My thoughts are with her family and friends ...Barb was a very special person and I will miss her more than I can express.

She leaves behind a son and Daughter, and a world of friends that Loved her.

Rest in peace Barb... God I'm going to miss you!!!:(:(:(:(

-al

fishmama
12-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Gosh, so, so sad words cannot express. Especially after such a valiant fight. Barb will be dearly missed. Prayers for her family and friends.

Ryan
12-06-2007, 12:47 PM
This is such awful news. And I thought she was doing so much better. I was happy to see her on the forum and getting back into the fish again. My thoughts are with her family and friends. Rest in peace, Barb. You were an asset here and a gift to everyone that had the pleasure of knowing you.

dawncollette
12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
I know how much she meant to all of you and to Cary with GLD, I just spoke to him and he is so saddened....I only met Barb on this forum some short time ago but knew she was a first class special lady that loved her discus....and fellow discus simply members.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all as you greive the loss of such a special person.
Take care and Lets send special prayers and thoughts to her closest family and friends so that they can find comfort in what a wonderful lady they had in their lives.
Dawn

Kenny's Discus
12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
My deepest condolences to her family. It's a very sad day may Barb rest in peace.

Kenny

Discus-Hans
12-06-2007, 12:51 PM
OMG Why?? I've no words at the moment, she just fought her way back, this is not fair.

Tad
12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I am in total shock hearing this news. Barb has always been one of the " exceptionally Special" people here on Simply. She will be missed by many.

You will be in my prayers and mind forever,
Tad

alpine
12-06-2007, 01:03 PM
It is very sad to hear. I always enjoyed seeing her enthusiastic posts in the forum.

roberto.

oodi
12-06-2007, 01:03 PM
This is such very very sad news. Barb was a big part of this forum and an amazing person.

Al or Ryan or anyone... if you find out where flowers may be sent, please let us know.

Judi

Discus_KC
12-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Barb truly left a mark on many of us. A true sweetheart to so many of us. She fought such a tough battle and given so many of us hope you can beat illness. We truly loved you Barb and you will be with us forever. Rest in peace my friend!!

Jack

April
12-06-2007, 01:09 PM
hard to believe. its not fair. she was determined she was going to enjoy life again and she was with her discus and other fish.
she was definitely one of the good ones .

C_of_Discus
12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
I am in Shock, I was to go and meet Barb this weekend to pick up some of her Discus.

very sad indeed

April
12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
c of discus. please keep us informed if you find any contacts that can help her family out with the fish etc or if where we can send flowers or whatever will help . we are all far away..but we all feel like part of her discus family. im sure she had alot of great people in the toronto area also who loved her.

White Worm
12-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Barb was one of the first to help me out when I came on to the forum a couple years ago. Sweet Lady....Very sad :(. We will miss you and remember you always.

AADiscus
12-06-2007, 01:32 PM
This is truly shocking. I thought she was doing alot better as well. She was a magnificent lady, kind and very generous. She was always willing to help out anyone with anything at anytime.

She will truly be remembered!

Ryan or Al is there anyway we might be able to put a banner up in memory of her?

Upper Canada
12-06-2007, 02:20 PM
This hurts. I met Barb and Keith for the first time in October and she seemed fine and in great spirits. This is such a cruel disease.
Bob

brewmaster15
12-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Forrest asked me to express his condolences to Barbs family and friends.. He is very sorry for their loss.:(

He was not sure he would have internet access for the next few days... we spoke earlier today.

-al

Tropical Haven
12-06-2007, 02:36 PM
This is a very sad day indeed, Barb will be truely missed and a great woman who definitely loved this hobby as well as everyone on this board. We will miss you a lot, may you rest in peace.

Harriett
12-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I am so terribly sorry to hear this news. What a struggle, what an amazing person. My heart goes out to Barb's family. SO saddened by this news.
Harriett

Rogerthedodger
12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
I only met Barb once and she was very nice to me. I was new to discus keeping and she spent over an hour of her time teaching me what she knew. I was to go see her again this weekend to purchase some fish from her. I'm saddened by the news of her loss. I live fairly close to Barb......about 1/2 hour drive.

Roger

alxjss
12-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I didn't have the privilage to know Barb, but i wish I had. I am soo sorry for all of u for ur loss and may she rest in peace. May God be w/her family and friends though this horrible time. Barb, may u rest in peace.:angel:

Kindredspirit
12-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Barb was one of the first to help me out when I came on to the forum a couple years ago. Sweet Lady....Very sad

Yes she was, for me too ~ Barb was always there for me and I am sick over this...

A true, honest and good part of Simply is gone forever. We should close for one day...or something...Put up a permanent discus up top with her name on it...something.. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_44.gif

She was just here....posting

Cosmo
12-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Rest in Peace Barb :(

We miss you terribly already :(

:cry:

aloha_discus
12-06-2007, 04:50 PM
I will miss you and love you barb.

Agape, Ike

GrillMaster
12-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I didn't know her personally myself but I read many of her posts an she was definately a top notch woman!

Its always a sad day when you recieve this kind of news about someone who you have actually interacted with in some way or another.

RIP Barb...

steve.ryall
12-06-2007, 05:33 PM
What a terrible loss, RIP Barb.

This lady will be mssed in so many ways.

Steve :cry:

Ronald
12-06-2007, 05:43 PM
A very sad day indeed.
Barb you will be dearly missed.

You and you Family are in our thoughts.

:sad: Ronald

Moon
12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I had email from Barb last week saying that she was getting a shipment and if I was interested. I am in total shock. I live close to her and will try to drop by her house today.
Joe

chompy
12-06-2007, 06:21 PM
If anyone in Ontario is planning to help the family out with Barb's fish (moving or whatever), if there's room in the car I'd be glad to help out. I'm sure this is the last thing the family wants to deal with :(.

C_of_Discus
12-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I belong to the Kitchener Forum and they knew Barb very well she was a member there also and if there is anything that the group can do they are willing to help out.

http://www.kwas.ca/forum/

Tim

billeagan
12-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Barb you will be missed.

Brew/Ryan,

Please keep us informed if the family needs anything I'm happy to do what I can.

pcsb23
12-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Words fail me. My deepest condolences to her family.

Bless you Barb.

Darren's Discus
12-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Very sad news ,my thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

R.I.P
Barb

Ardan
12-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Barb, you are an inspiration to myself and everyone that got the pleasure of knowing you for this short part of your life.
You helped many many of us.
Rest in peace.
You are a big loss to all of us.
I will keep your family in prayers.

Ardan

Wahter
12-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Rest in Peace Barb - you gave so much to the hobby and to your own fish. You'll be remembered for your love of discus and being a helpful friend to all of us.

:(:(:(:(:(

Walter

Jeffrey_Yang
12-06-2007, 08:40 PM
I am shocked and this is indeed a very sad news for all. She will be missed. My deepest condolences to her family.

jeff

Evan
12-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Sad news,

I was able to speak with Barb a couple of times, she always had time to help everyone, she was great lady.

rest well

2sybs
12-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Very sad news indeed.
Rest in peace Barb.

tpastrana
12-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi All,
I just wanted to share my last coversation I had with Barb. I am so upset about this!!! I take this kind of news very personal. I cant understand how some of us make it through that kind of hell and some of us dont. I consider myself very lucky, and I try to live life as best I can. This just goes to show how quickly life passes us by.

Hello Barb,
You don't know me, but I have been reading your thread with regards to you having cancer. I noticed the thread has not been updated since May. I was wondering how you are feeling? I had cancer also. I had lymphoma stage 3b 1998 before mine was discovered. I was 34 years old. It was a long horrible road. I never felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel. I have been cancer free now 7 yrs. I have passed the 5 year mark so they consider me cured. I am no longer in remission. I actually got started in fish when I was sick. It made me feel relief when I was stressed. It was very calming to me. I will never give up this hobby if I can help it. I am not sure if you will even see this PM since I havent seen you reply to your thread. But in case you do, I just wanted you to know. I know what you are goingthru, and if there is anything I can do to help or even just to talk, to get things off your chest. I would love to help or listen at anytime. I can pretty much say I have been through everything you are going through. So I know the range of emotions you are having. It is very difficult to explain to people who are not experiencing it. Or have ever experienced it. They can only assume they get it. They will never understand to the same extent.Even though they truely try and want to help in any way they can. It's difficult for them as well. Anyway,I would assume you are still having treatment based on the dates I see. Please take care. And e-mail me at anythime.

Teresa

Hi Teresa, thank you for writing. You have no idea how much it means to me to hear a "positive story" and thank you for your offer of support. Around the cancer clinic, it's dreadful as you know, terminal, re-occurrences, etc....... I'm glad you beat it!!!

I am in hell right now, I've done my 6 months of chemotherapy, and am now on radiation treatment #6 of 15. My hair hasn't started to grow back yet and I feel like ****. No energy, tired all the time, sore, feeling rather hopeless about the whole thing and am absolutely terrified day and night about a reoccurrence in another organ. They have found another lump in my breast, but felt it better to do the radiation then deal with that. They don't "think" it's cancer but no one will say 100%. It is quite the emotional roller coaster, I have a son 21 living with me who is so close to me, if I ever left him.... I'm sure he'd be destroyed. Pressure to stay alive. My daughter lives with her boyfriend and I 'think' would be ok.

My breast cancer is graded 3 because of the size of the tumour (2.8cm). It was not in my lymph nodes and has not metastasized but they say cancerous cells are in the bloodstream.

How many discus do you have? I have way too many for being sick. I'm having a hard time taking care of all of them, my son helps me a lot. I still love them, I just wish they didn't need so much care right now. Usually I enjoy doing it, it's a burden for the time being.

Take care and do write back.

Barb

jeep
12-06-2007, 10:26 PM
A very sady day... My deepest condolences to all of Barb's friends and family...

Brian

GulfCoastDiscus
12-06-2007, 10:36 PM
My prayers and condolences. :(
Barb, you'll forever be remembered. Thank you for all your help.

Elcid
12-06-2007, 10:37 PM
It so sad to read this. I wish I hadn't actually! It's very hard. I can't even write any words!

take care,

Sandeep

wolfbane
12-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Barb was always ready with helpful info and a great attitude, I miss her already. It just seems too sudden.

architect1
12-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I will mis barb she was such a kind and sweet woman to talk and be with. I hope the family is ok, and I will miss talking with her and seeing her fish.

Tony_S
12-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm shocked and speechless to say the least....

Deepest condolences indeed.

Tony :(

ping
12-06-2007, 11:26 PM
A very sad day. My condolences to her family and friends.

Ronny

bavaria36
12-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Very sad. My deepest sympathies to her family and friends

Aaron

Condor
12-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Been trying to think all day of what to say and can't. We'll miss you, Barb.

Adrian

traco
12-07-2007, 01:16 AM
I've been away from here and just came here and read this. My thoughts are with her son, daughter, mother, sister and other family and friends.

She was the one who started me on my journey with discus. Lots of phone calls, emails and PM's. She helped me so much.

I don't know what else to say but god, I'm sure going to miss her!

Elite Aquaria
12-07-2007, 01:37 AM
I was shocked when I read this post. Although I never personally spoke with Barb I felt like I knew her through her post. She was a great woman and fellow hobbyist whom will be missed. Her family will be in my prayers tonight.

Trog
12-07-2007, 02:58 AM
I just got off duty at the fire hall and came across this thread and to say that I’m in shock is an understatement. We have all lost a true Ambassador for this hobby! I deeply regret never having had the opportunity to have met her in person but after reading the wealth of information and her ability to make us noob’s feel at ease even when we asked a question that had been answered many times before. I feel a tremendous loss of a friend!.

My deepest condolences to Barb's Family and friends. May you rest in peace as your memory lives' on in our hearts!

forrest
12-07-2007, 03:09 AM
i ve called Al trying to comfirm after i read this post.
bard has contacted me a month plus ago n i tot she was getting better.it was too sudden to me n i totally speechless.
barb,rest in peace.
My condolences to her family and friends.

forrest.

Rod
12-07-2007, 03:39 AM
I always enjoyed reading Barb's posts, she was always very nice. My condolences to her family and friends. may she rest in peace.

Rod:(

Anthony
12-07-2007, 06:02 AM
My :( deepest condolences to her family. May she RIP.

Ryan
12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Barb Newell's funeral will be on Monday December 10th at 10.30 am. The location is Smith's Funeral Home Guelph Line, Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Joe

Joe, thank you for posting this information. I am cross-posting it here so that people will see it.

korbi_doc
12-07-2007, 12:13 PM
This is a very shocking & sad message....just when it seemed Barb was doing better, I thought she was on the mend....this is a great loss to our community & her family & friends....my condolences to her family.....she will be greatly missed....

Dottie

sunflowerdiscus
12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
My condolence to Barb's family.

Willie Goh

Lisachromis
12-07-2007, 12:45 PM
http://guelphline.smithsfh.com/Obituary.asp?id=2751

Lisachromis
12-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Oh, on that link is a spot to sign a guest registry online (bottom left), you can send a tribute there.

brewmaster15
12-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Thank you Lisa.

I would like to encourage everyone to visit that sites registry if you can since most can not attend the funeral.

al

CharlesRT
12-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I just left a message in the regestry. She was a great help with advise on how to treat my sick fish a few years back. Barb RIP.

tag
12-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi,

Ok, I was prepared to post the memorial service details etc but that information is available now to everyone.

I just wanted to take a moment and say that I'm sitting here so quietly after reading all of your condolences and words of kindness, thinking that not only were we lucky to have met and known Barb but that she was lucky to have such amazing friends as well.

Barb was a wonderful person.She survived her struggle with cancer from which she emerged a stronger person and more compelled to live life. I just saw her and I told her that she looked more amazing than ever before and she joked that...yeah, too bad and to think she had to go through cancer treatment etc., to look this way :)

It's understood that Barb did not pass due to the cancer. There is still ongoing investigation as to her cause of death.

Thank you all. I miss Barb and she has left an incredibly large void in my life but I'll always be glad to have known her and loved her. Reading all of your posts doesn't bring Barb back but there is a real peace that comes from knowing she had you as friends.

Take care everyone

Tina

Discus_KC
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Tina,

She truly touched many of us. Her will to win is such a great motivator. To perservere like she did is a true testament that she wasn't a quitter. In my eyes she was a "Champion"

Jack

Diamond Discus
12-07-2007, 04:09 PM
http://guelphline.smithsfh.com/Obituary.asp?id=2751Thanks for the link Lisa.

chompy
12-07-2007, 05:20 PM
YES IT IS TRUE BARB PASSED AWAY ON TUESDAY NIGHT WHILE IN HER SLEEP. IT IS A SHOCK TO ALL OF HER CLOSE FRIENDS AND FAMILY

SERVICES WILL BE HELD ON MONDAY DECEMBER 10,2007 AT 10:30AM AT SMITH'S FUNERAL HOME ON GUELPH LINE IN BURLINGTON JUST NORTH OF QEW.

Found a liitle more information on this tragic event. I found this information here: http://www.pricenetwork.ca/showthread.php?threadid=155132&p=1&pp=15#post812425

Edit: Oh I see Lisa provided it already... thanks

KathyWhite
12-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Hello everybody:
I am Kathy White, Barb's sister. I looked up Simply Discus as I had heard her speak of it many times.

I am sorry to confirm that yes she has passed. It was a huge shock to all of us as she seemed to be doing very well. At this time we do not know the cause of her death, the autopsy was inconclusive. They are doing a toxicology report that will apparently take 3 months for the results. Her funeral is at Smith's funeral home on Guelph Line on Monday at 10:30 in the morning.

I will greatly miss her, she was the best big sister that anybody could have had... .

Her kids Krytal and Brian are coping, they are strong individuals.

Thank you to all for the warm wishes for our family.
If anybody needs to contact me directly, I can be reached at
kwhite@absoluteimage.org

Sincerely,
Kathy White

brewmaster15
12-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Kathy,
I am so very sorry for your Loss. I knew Barb well and she was a very special person. One that will be greatly missed by many here. People Like Barb enter your life rarely and when they do they change you forever.

If theres anything I can do for you and your family,
please let me know.

Sincerely,
Al Sabetta

traco
12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Kathy, thanks for coming here and posting. I hope reading all these replies helps a little bit with your grief over losing your sister. She was a great person, helping us rookies delving into discus.

Our thoughts are with you, family and friends.

daninthesand
12-08-2007, 06:57 AM
I have not been to this forum in quite some time. The news of Barb's passing comes as sad news which I heard about just now on another forum (winnipegfishforum.info).

My condolences go out to her family and of course all the friends who shared her passion for discus. And a fellow Canadian....

Daniel

FairyDiscus
12-08-2007, 07:05 AM
May you R.I.P Barb, you will be greatly missed.:cry:

ed8t
12-08-2007, 01:33 PM
My gosh, this is so unexpected and sad. My condolences to Barb's family.

BOBT00LS
12-08-2007, 11:56 PM
I must say that I am in utter shock. Barb and I were emailing just a few weeks ago and I thought all was going well for her. My deepest sympathy goes out to her family and friends. Rest in peace Barb. You will be missed.

Lisachromis
12-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Hopefully this is ok to post. I copied it from DAAH.

I was at Barb's funeral service today and there were a lot of people, family, friends and some hobbyist to pay their last respect and it was very sad for the family specially for her young son.
The service was great and the pastor named " Keith Knill " gave a very pleasant speech and a lot of hobbyist will miss her deeply.
Mario
:'( :'( :'( :'(

CARY_GLdiscus
12-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Barb,
You have been with Us since day one when the very first discus fourms Started!
YOU HAVE HELPED ME AND SO MANY OTHERS! Thank You.....

I Personally will never forget You! and I thank You for being such a precious Friend To Me and so many Others!

LOVE Cary + Family
xoxoxoxo

Fish_Fin-atic
12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm still in shock. Barb was one of the good people, always willing to lend an ear, and offer helpful advice to everyone who needed it. Her fishroom was a joy to see, her fish were always healthy and happy, and they seemed to enjoy her company, as did so many people by whom she will be sadly missed.

Squiggy
12-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I've not been online for awhile. I certainly did not anticipate reading such sad news on returning. Like many others, I thought Barb was winning her fight. I'm lost for words other than to say that my heart is heavy with sadness.

We will miss you, Barb.

Joe

paps
12-15-2007, 07:53 PM
anyone have any pictures of Barb they'd like to share? She'll surely be missed.