PDA

View Full Version : eye color

rick.c
12-07-2007, 08:02 PM
back when i first got in to discus 20 some years ago you allways looked for the fish with red eyes .my ? is has this changed or is there some sort of standerd for eye color . like is it exceptable for some types to not have red eyes.If so is there a list of standers or not , or if anyone can list them .
thanks
rick

RyanH
12-08-2007, 12:28 AM
I think that people began to associate red eyes with good health in Discus. This is a good rule of thumb. However, I've seen some pretty beautiful fish with amber eyes as well.

The standard is personal preference. :)

Apistomaster
12-08-2007, 04:32 PM
As nice as it may be to see Discus with bright red eyes it is a variable trait, even among wild discus, and I care more about the overall appearance and health than I do about eye color.
This red eye trait seems more relevant to those who are involved with showing Discus than those who breed them for profit or like wild Discus.

rick.c
12-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I have also seen some nice fish with out red eye color ,that imo would have looked even nicer if they would of had nice bright red eyes.
thanks for the input ryan!!
apisto ,you hit it on the nose!! alot of people breeding for profit instead of quality
thanks rick

ShinShin
12-08-2007, 09:51 PM
In the states, we rarely see the top of the line wild discus. The top of the line have red eyes and end up mostly in Japan. A good red eyed Curipera will bring at least 4 times the money an amber eyed will. Most USA hobbyists won't pay the price the best Curiperas, and even Heckels, that Japan does.

Red eyes are the perfered eye color in discus, domestic or wild. Amber eyed discus were acceptable some years back in the shows, but today, selective breeding has produced red eyes in all strains. Enter a carrot eyed blue diamond in a major show, and see how it fares. The same with a wild. All else equal, the red eye will win every time.

Mat

Eddie
11-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Digging up this thread because I have a wild/RT cross with some amazing amber eyes. All the rest have deep red so although judges may not find it appealing, it gives this particular fish character. IMO the amber eyes give him a very different look entirely because of the rest of his body coloration.

:D

Just reviewing Singapore's National Competition 1st place winners from last year and several of the discus have amber eyes.