PDA

View Full Version : head down

merktricky
12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
my male royal blue is swimming around with his head pointed at the bottom of the tank. Is there anything I can do to cure this?

Graham
12-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi, hard to fix something if you don't know what's wrong. How's the water, any other physical signs, any flashing, excess muscus????

Graham

merktricky
12-08-2007, 12:15 PM
water seems good. ph 6.0, ammonia 0, nitrate 5, temp 84.9. Both fish eating well. no flashing. all seems well except that male has his nose on the bottom of the tank most of the time. This was a breeding pair and for the last couple months they have not spawned at all.

Graham
12-08-2007, 01:58 PM
It's really hard to tell what might be wrong...don't own a microscope do you??

merktricky
12-13-2007, 12:15 PM
hi graham

thanx for your interest i have no microscope,there isnt any change .water change 20% daily temp 86 water quality is good

pcsb23
12-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Is the fishes belly swollen? Any fighting between the two? Breathing ok? clamped fins? fin edges look ok? eye cloudy?

Sorry for all the q's.... :o

aquagal
12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
What is flashing?

pcsb23
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
What is flashing?
When a fish will swim up to an object and side swipe the object quickly as though it is trying to shake something off or dislodge something.

aquagal
12-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Is flashing always a sign of disease or can it be part of normal behavior?

pcsb23
12-13-2007, 05:31 PM
In my experience it indicates something is wrong, either the water quality is poor, or they have an external parasite of some description. First line of defence is to improve the water quality before adding any meds.

Mick B
12-14-2007, 08:00 AM

If the Discus is otherwsie 'normal' (not head standing), IMO, it can be 'marking' it's territory.

I believe, Discus 'agree' where a territorial boundry is, marked by a plant leaf, rock, up-lift, whatever and when there is a dispute, they may, move slowly to that marker, and side-swipe it to make a point.
(But if it is repeated, it is more likly trying to dislodge a bug, or scratch an itch etc).

Cheers, Mick B:)

Graham
12-14-2007, 09:02 AM
When a fish will swim up to an object and side swipe the object quickly as though it is trying to shake something off or dislodge something.

Paul discribed the motion of flashing, but one of the reasons that it's called flashing is generally the belly of a fish is a much lighter colour, so when the fish turns sideways you'll see a ''flash'' of lighter belly colour.

99% of the time when you see flashing it becuse something is irritating the fish...

Happy Holidays

merktricky
12-14-2007, 12:30 PM
thanx to all for your interest.

there are no apparent physical abnomalities except ffor the head standing and a slight feathering of the right gill plate although the breathing is norma.ph 6.0 amon 0 nitite .o5 nitrate 5 temp86 fish is eating normally not bothering mate.