PDA

View Full Version : One last fishless cycling question

wilddiscuss
12-09-2007, 12:57 AM
My tank is about to be finished cycling. I know when the nitrite spikes then falls to zero you should test it when you do a large water change, around 50% to 80%. Then add ammonia up to around 5 ppm, let everything run for several hours or overnight. Test the water for both ammonia and nitrites again. If everything is still zero, the tank is cycled and you're ready to add fish. But sense I added more ammonia, and it droped to zero...should I do a 50% water change...then add the fish? I just wanted to make sure on what I should do. 1 more question.... someone said to add some salt while the nitrite is spiked??? Why? I don't see any point? Thanks everyone!

Todd

phidelt85
12-09-2007, 01:31 AM
Yes, you should then test the nitrates to make sure they are below safe levels. Perform WCs until that is where you want it.

Elite Aquaria
12-09-2007, 03:25 AM
No reason to add salt unless you have fish in the tanks. The salt acts as a neutralizer making the Ammonia/Nitrites non-toxic.

dishpanhands
12-09-2007, 05:00 AM
After you finish your fishless cycle and your sure its cycled you will need to change 100% of your water. then add the fish..then you will have to watch for spikes again. they shouldn't spike long the filter will be growing to fit the load of fish..HTH

wilddiscuss
12-09-2007, 12:26 PM
What do I want to keep the nitrate level below for Discus? I would think as close to zero as possible. But if I go out of town for the weekend or something and I come back...what do I want the nitrates to be below? I always wondered this???

dishpanhands
12-09-2007, 12:53 PM
best to keep the below 10 ppm...