PDA

View Full Version : Big + little discus?

harris611
12-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I am new to discus (after keeping a SW reef for years) and am in the process of setting up a 220 gallon tank.

As I plan my stock list, I could not find any info on the pluses or minuses of getting different sized fish to start. I was planning on getting six-eight 3" fish to grow out, but wanted to invest in two or three 6" fish for some instant gratification.

Would this disparity in size cause issues? I understand there will be some territorial behavior, but don't want to create a situation where the smaller fish are harassed too much.

Thoughts?

And love this board, by the way. After a couple months of lurking, I feel confident enough to dive in. Thanks for all of the help!

Matt

brewmaster15
12-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi Matt,
Welcome aboard!!:)

In a 220 gal tank.. 6 3" fish are gonna get lost... because of the tank size you would probably be okay with a couple of Big fish too... but generally..the big ones will take the Lion share of the food and you'll stunt the 3"ers growth.... and then once the 3" ones get larger...you may wind up having alot of aggression by the adults....

If you are looking for the adults ..I'd say go with a group of adults first.....and if you want to experience growing out....do it in another tank and add them as young adults...or buy 20 3 "ers for your 220 gal tank.. and enjoy them as they grow.

If this tank is going to be planted or community then definetly my advice is go with bigger fish.

hth,
al

harris611
12-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Okay, that makes sense. And I do have another 65 gl that I could use as a second tank.

When you say add the juveniles at the "young adult" stage, what size is that generally?