PDA

View Full Version : Help, Fish head down

markstr
12-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Woke up this morning and my pair, one of them is head down.
Not sure what's going on here. Always been healthy.
Little flashing and not completly eating everything is the latest observations. I treating a couple of wks. back with
Parisite Clear.
I am doing a large WC and treating with Salt (2 tbls per 10 gal.)

pcsb23
12-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi Mark,

99% of times when a fish is head standing it is an internal bacterial infection either of the swim bladder or causing pressure to be placed on the swim bladder. Sometimes a blockage can cause similar effects but there is usually signs of swollen abdomen etc to go with it. Difficult to be sure but it doesn't look overly swollen from what I can see. Maybe you can confirm?

This should be treated with an antibiotic, use one that is well absorbed, if the fish is eating maybe use some in food too. Furan 2 or Kanamycin sulphate would be two good ones to use in the water. I am sorry to say that treatment is not often successful with this.

markstr
12-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Hey Thanks Paul back on this for starters.. The Abdomen is a little enlarged..
I am treating with kanamycin. We'll have to see.. This Pair has really been great and
I"m not too happy about this for sure.. I've had them for around a yr. now and they
have been laying eggs but no wigglers.. They are close to 2 yrs. now...
I preform WC's twice per day around 20% or more.. Pre treat water etc..

jczz1232
12-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Had the same problem with one of my guy. He been like that for about a month. But my guy eats.

John

Ardan
12-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi,
Good advice here.

I would also add epsom salt. at 2 tblsp/10 gal.

hth
Ardan

markstr
12-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Woke up this morning and the fish is lying flat on the bottom but still breathing..
I didn't turn on the lights.....
The other one is fine.........

Would I add the Epsom Salts in conjunction with the meds??

pcsb23
12-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Yes add the epsom salts.

markstr
12-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Went ahead and did it. Doesn't look to promising for the one since It is just laying flat
on the bottem of the tank.. The other one is swimming around fine but I'm seeing periodic Flashing.. I figure I'll just finish up with the Kanamycin treatments since the other one
I'm sure has it as well....

marielou20
12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I have been treating one of my discus against Head standing with Furan 2 , how many days do you usually make the treatment ?

pcsb23
12-10-2009, 03:31 PM
I have been treating one of my discus against Head standing with Furan 2 , how many days do you usually make the treatment ?Head standing is usually caused by a problem with the swim bladder. If medication is to be successful then it usually has to be for a prolonged period, ie weeks. It is rarely successful in practice, sorry.

Eddie
12-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I second Paul's statement, swim bladder is my thoughts. There is no actual known cure. On a rare instance, an internal antibiotic did help but it may not have been the antibiotic at all. How long have you been treating with F-2?

Eddie