PDA

View Full Version : Air is more important than water.....newbie mistake by someone that isn't a newbie :(

mikesmac
12-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Hello all, (warning ...long post)

So here I am being the semi-pro Discus hobbyist and after many years of keeping them I start getting some fry from some of my better quality specimens and really have hopes of getting a 1st class showcase going in my home. This of course means that I have quite a few extra fry that are not the ones I singled out to grow for myself, and so I have been selling them locally.

Well things had been going pretty smoothly and quite a few local people have been getting some of what I think should turn out to be pretty high quality discus if they continue to get fed right and their water is good. I had a few people take 30 at a time, and come back for more.... some acclimating them into regular tap water and not having any problems.

So anyways, I've got all kinds of people requesting that I ship and I can't.... not set up for it, and don't really want to get that extensive into selling because I really just want to get the best ones that I can for myself... and if I have extras then I spread them around .... most of what I have sold have been at the $10/each starting point but then end up less because I really just sell them to free up tank space, but don't just give them to everyone that calls and wants to put them in with their goldfish....

Getting to my point... after thinking I was doing ok, and everything is going smooth I get a person from Pittsburgh, PA who wants some and is going to drive up to get them...about a 3 hour drive. He shows up, we do a lot of talking, share some experiences.... all while I am catching and bagging up his Discus, which takes quite a while with all the chatting going on. Now ...... a little info fill in .... the "fry" I am selling are a good 1.5" to 2" body size (not including the fins) and I have medium sized bags which I was filling about half way with water and putting 6 in each bag which looked comfortable for them.....

......I guess I had my head in my a##.... too much chat and not enough attention to what I was doing and the situation at hand... I guess I was so used to having everyone local (within and hour drive from my house) buying them and not having any problems, I didn't think to allow for the extra time being bagged up and then driven 3 hours away. And when you aren't thinking...things go wrong!

When he left with the fish I though everything went pretty well. I thought he was happy with everything and was glad he made the trip. I had it in my head that if there was anything to worry about it would be the temperature in the bags dropping on the drive home and his acclimating them to his tanks.

I got the call the next morning..... all had died except 2 larger fish that had been bagged separately, and 10 of the smaller ones. He thought that it was the ones that were bagged last that ended up living. So there it is..... 3 hour drive, too many in each bag and / or without enough air instead of water... and apparently the ones that died, had suffocated. To say the least I don't feel real smart at the present time and felt really bad for the person that bought them. I should have known / allowed for this having picked up enough of my own.... some from greater distances than the 3 hours he came.... and when thinking about it realized that when I picked up discus from those far away places the sellers had either oxygen, or bag buddies, or had put more air and less water..... basically they had packed them as if they were being shipped....

Anyways the person came back today and we used bigger bags with hopefully an adequate amount of water, more air and added bag buddies which he was nice enough to pick up for me near his house because I couldn't find any local stores that sell them. I don't have the oxygen to put in but we both felt they should be fine this time. It was quite the inconvenience for this person to make the drive again, but I tried to make allowances for this in what he ended up taking this time and am hoping that he feels satisfied.

After the fact....and as long as I've had Discus you'd think I would have heard this before...... When transporting / bagging your fish..... "3 times as much air as water in the bag". It doesn't matter how good your water is if they can't breathe.

Mike

brewmaster15
12-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Mike,
Its a hard lesson, but one that you've learned now...don't beat yourself up over it.:)

I use the 1/3 rule.... 1/3 water...2/3 shipping oxygen,....or if not that...then aquarium airline air into a bag that has had a bag buddy added. Basically just cover the fish with water and the rest is air.

You might want to visit a weldings supply shop.. you can easily get an oxygen tank and regulator for under $100....ist good to have even for local pickups, IMO.

take care,
al

fredox
12-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Mike sorry to hear about the losses. It made me think back to when I was in university transporting my tank and fish. I would put the fish, mostly neons and guppies, into a plastic 5 gallon jerry can with water almost to the top and then I'd leave the top off the can. It would be the last thing I'd do before I left and the first thing sorted when I arrived. I guess it was just in the back of my mind that they need the air.

As with most things in life we learn through our own and other peoples mistakes. Think of it this way. Your one mistake may save the lives of hundreds of other fish because people read your post here.

Byron

FishLover888
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Hmmm... The other day I was wondering why people did not fill the bags with water when they shipped them to me. I got the bags and they were only enough water to cover the fish (about 1/5 of the bag) and the rest was air. I was thinking they should put more water in there so the fish feel better that way. I thought it was because the weight of water they did not want to put in too much.

I guess they knew what they were doing then.

Don Trinko
12-12-2007, 05:10 PM
One source I buy from puts a little methelene blue in the water. I think He said that it helps keep oxygen in the water. He also puts just enough water in for the fish to float upright. Don T.

mikesmac
12-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Mike,
Its a hard lesson, but one that you've learned now...don't beat yourself up over it.:)

al

Hi Al,

Thanks for the encouragement, I still feel like crap about killing all those ones I put so much into raising, I think there would have been quite a few really nice ones to have developed from the group. I know I learned a lesson from it (what number is that .... like.... lesson #141,562 :( ) -The post from Byron...(thanks Byron) was what I hope the result is..... the worst way to learn is from your own mistakes, I'd always rather learn from someone elses mistakes. Hopefully this will help someone else before they learn the hard way. The value of this forum with things like this shouldn't be underestimated.

Mike

tonymaccs
12-13-2007, 01:08 AM
Hi Mike,
It's good you took the time to post your exp here and remind people of the simple mistakes that can lead to disaster. Reminds me of the time I slightly overfilled a tank until it was lapping the glass covers- didn't give it a moments thought until I came back several hours later to a tankful of dead fish.
The important thing is you were smart enough to work out the problem and decent enough to take responsibility.

Tony

Kindredspirit
12-13-2007, 09:49 AM
It is okay, Mike;) Now you know and I just bet that you will be around to teach someone else:)

Discus-Hans
12-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Mike, how big was the bag, wide in inches????

Hard to believe they died in 3 hours because of that.

For 3 hours you can transport them almost in a wet towel and they are still alive,

Hans

mikesmac
12-17-2007, 02:38 AM
Mike, how big was the bag, wide in inches????

Hard to believe they died in 3 hours because of that.

For 3 hours you can transport them almost in a wet towel and they are still alive,

Hans

Hi Hans,

The size of the original bags they went in were 8" wide x 20" long (measured while empty and flat). The replacements went in much larger, square bottomed bags and he said that those all made it there fine.

Mike

Discus-Hans
12-17-2007, 03:39 AM
How many hours before packing was the last feeding??

I can shoot people who advice to ask the seller to feed them before you buy them.

Did you use water from the tank they were in (when was the last water change?) or fresh/clean water????

Did you use oxi or just air?? (air I saw when I read back, sorry)

Hans