PDA

View Full Version : keepers from the great white north

hironobu
12-12-2007, 04:02 PM
So I'm from Canada and with temperature constantly in the 20~30s and sometimes worse, I've been having a tough time keeping the temperature of the tank in the 80s. Unfortunately I live in a rural area so if I want to turn up the heater in my basement it'll cost me hundreds of $$ per month. So I got two 300w submersible heaters and they are barely maintaining the warmth. This is especially bad when I have to do w/c.

So my question is what are some ways to heat up the water when aging the water for w/c. This is my first winter and I need help, cause I think I may have ick problem as well, after waking up this morning and finding white spots on some of the discus's fins (nothing on the body though). I have managed to raise the temperature to 86 but this is only December, I dont want to have to place so many heaters in my tank. :( and I'm dreading the next water change already. I have to wait hours for the water to heat up given that I have a 90G tank.

Evan
12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
You could insulate three sides and the bottom of the tank.

How cold is the basement, How big is the tank?

I have a 75 and with one 250 in a house with horsehair insulation and my temp is all good.. My others are 55 with a 200W.

How is your incoming water heated. You may be able to get away without aging depending on if there is a change in PH after ageing.
You could pretreat the waterwith clhorine treatment if required.

C_of_Discus
12-12-2007, 04:15 PM
you should have 2 300 watt heaters so you don't have the stuck heater issue and cook your fish. I would also put a heater and a air stone or pump in your water container that you keep your aged water for WC

Rod
12-12-2007, 04:18 PM
I would insulate your tank, wrap it in sheets of expanded foam of blankets to help stop your tank trying to heat the whole basement. At night you could even cover the front glass. Make sure you have close fitting glass covers as well, much heat is lost through an open cover.

Upper Canada
12-12-2007, 05:20 PM
I set up a complete temporary system in my garage last year in late fall in order to accept an extra shipment, I did what Rod suggests, and fitted piieces of blue foam on the three sides using duct tape, what else, and using the tape hinged a piece for the top. At night I fitted pieces against the front glass.

Bob

hironobu
12-12-2007, 06:31 PM
These are great suggestions, thanks guys! I shall get right to it! :)

April
12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
go get yourself a little woodstove for the basement vent it out..and keep it running .
put the stryo under the tanks also and around. try doing it out of the tap with warm water see how they handle it. use prime. i use straight from the tap.

FishLover888
12-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Why do you have problems with water temp when doing WCs? You may want to heat up your source water somehow to match the tank water. I use hot water from my tap to adjust the water to the right temp and have no problem. All I need is to add some Prime to take out the cooper or things like that. I notice when the source water is much cooler than the tank water, my discus get some kind of white spots. Most of the time they go away after a while but I don't think that is good for them. That's why I try to keep the water temp withing 2 degrees before and after water change. I use my hand to feel it and if my hand can't tell the difference, they are most likely within in 2 degrees.

Use two bigger heaters if you are having problems with water temp because your room temp is too low.

FischAutoTechGarten
12-13-2007, 10:55 PM
What ever happened to Smokey? He was a discus keeper from WAY UP.

Jason
12-13-2007, 11:15 PM
I use reflectix works really well, basement is around 65f but the tanks are toasty. In my case 1-200w heater will heat a 60 gallon tank wrapped in reflectix.

Kindredspirit
12-14-2007, 01:13 AM
. use prime. i use straight from the tap.

Me too ~ how come you don't? Some just feel better aging their water, I guess ~ but it really is much easier IMO:)

tonymaccs
12-14-2007, 04:30 AM
Insulate as Evan and Rod have suggested- it works wonders. I used foil-backed glass wool blanket made for roofing. Its flexible so I could wrap it round three sides and seal with duct tape. Here's a couple of pics from inside and outside.
You will also find most of the heat goes out through the top, so make a piece for the top as well if you really want to cut down on power consumption. Just make a little cut-out where you feed and make it removable for maintenance.
I also found I had to pre-heat the new water so a couple of 60litre poly bins with lids, a 200watt heater and wrap them as well.

tonymaccs
12-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Forgot pics!

Riche_guy
12-15-2007, 09:54 AM
I never understood why people keep there basements very cold. Given that heat rises, if you heat your basement it will also heat the rest of the house. I understand keeping it colder by perhaps 5 degrees, but 10 or 20 or more? Is it comfortable to even go look at the fish? Do you have to wear a jacket to do so? If you really don't want to heat the basement, another solution is to move the tank to the main area where you can sip a cup of coffee while sitting down and enjoying your fish without the BBBBRRRRR.

hironobu
12-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Well the fire place in my basement broke down and I have granite floors and a large opening area where the tank is, so understandably the heat would leak out from the tank. After so much discussion I resorted to the old traditional method; throwing a large old blanket over the tank during the night to keep the tank warm. I have also found mixing my hot water from the tap with snow effectively lowered the ppm and ph level when doing w/c. So in short I have adapted and found a way to go on, thanks to all of your kind advice.