PDA

View Full Version : a quick ?

alxjss
12-15-2007, 10:40 AM
He everyone. I had a sponge in my main tank and took it out to use in qt. ? is, do i need air in this tank? My fish seem to be breathing hard w/o it. Should I put air in there since the source is gone?
thanks

seanyuki
12-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi Eileen,

Sponge filter requires air tube and air pump to function properly. It's normally use as a biological filter in a bare bottom tank. If you have a tank
that is over 20 gallons and may I suggest you to use HBT filter
like Aquarclear 30 or even Marineland Emperor 280.

Cheers
Francis

alxjss
12-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi Francis. I do have a aquaclear 110 and a fluval 404. The fish never went on the side the sponge was. Now they r all over the tank since i took out the sponge. Which, i like. My ? is, do they need extra air since i took out the air source?
thanks

kaceyo
12-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Eileen,
Are you asking if you should replace the air you removed from the main tank? Or if you need air in the QT tank? Either way the answere is yes. If your fish are breathing hard more air will help add O2 to the water. If the fish in the main tank are breathing hard then You'll want to find out why. Is there a health issue, is it only because there wasn't enough water movement after removing the sponge filter? etc.

Kacey

reelay0
12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Heya Eileen,

Is your Fluval return nozzle making bubbles in the tank or agitating the surface of the water? If it is, you should be OK. But if it's not then yes, I'd recommend either changing the return nozzle's position and make it above the water level spraying into it or parallel to the water's top.

I think with the amount of water movement from the fluval and the aquaclear shoudl be okay. But if your fish are breathing heavily a while after you took the sponge filter out... then it's probably a good idea to change your setup a little in order to bubblize your water.

hth

ray