PDA

View Full Version : protocol for driftwood

majik
12-16-2007, 03:39 AM
hi there could someone please advise me of the process to put driftwood thru i have a lovely piece that has been weathering outside for 7months but it was collected from the beach is there anyway i can make it suitabke for my discus tank thanks

GC_PAUL
12-16-2007, 07:21 AM
What size is it? If small enough to fit it a large pot just boil it for an hour or two.

korbi_doc
12-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Also, some ppl have used the dishwasher (after run thru without detergent) with very hot water to just clean the wood well....if you have any worry 'bout organisms, you can rinse it 1st with a dilute chlorine solution, but that is not usually necessary.....HTH, Dottie ;)

majik
12-16-2007, 02:41 PM
sorry i didnt mention that its much to bid to fit in a pot and i dought it would fit in the dishwasher would pouring boiling water over it in the bath work?

Graham
12-16-2007, 03:07 PM
There nothing directly on or in the drift wood that will hurt the fish. Sterilizing it, is a waste of time.

What you want to do is give it a good scrubbing and rinsing to remove all the dead bark, rotten wood or dirt. This will clear away any insects that may die or punky wood that will affect the water quality.

Beach driftwood is probably the best wood as it has been sun and salt bleached which makes for a harder peice of wood.

Graham

majik
12-16-2007, 04:19 PM
thank u for that graham thats great to know as we live on an island and have stacks of beautiful pieces thanks again any ideas on my bully discus ??