PDA

View Full Version : These are tapeworms, right?

judy
12-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Just checking, as I'm almost positive that's what these guys are. That's a discus I bought just two days ago, one of a pair. The worms expelled immediately following their Sunday morning water change.
http://www.wordsink.ca/tapeworm001.jpg
http://www.wordsink.ca/tapeworm004.jpg

I've dosed with Prazipro, and have read elsewhere here that three treatments four days apart is recommended (though the bottle says two treatments spaced seven days apart). Are there any thoughts as to which would be the preferred mode?
(I did use Prazipro according to the bottle directions, on the first batch of discus I got a few weeks after they settled in, and lo and behold, yup, worms.)

brewmaster15
12-16-2007, 01:02 PM
definetly tape worms.

I'd redose in a week....but odds are you won't see any more when you.

hth,
al

reelay0
12-16-2007, 01:16 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm EAting!!!

okay sorry. i had to get that out.

judy
12-16-2007, 01:30 PM
well, suddenly I have this urge to have spaghetti for lunch....
EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
I wish she'd just finish pooping the damn things out... it's SO unattractive! and I'm really looking forward to THAT vacuuming job....ick. ick. ick. yech.

fredox
12-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Real nice pics you got. I don't think I've ever seen a pic of the worms being expelled but saying that I've never gone looking for one.

brewmaster15
12-16-2007, 01:32 PM
although not necessary at all...Epsom salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gal may help...its a laxative.

-al

judy
12-16-2007, 01:59 PM
although not necessary at all...Epsom salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gal may help...its a laxative.

-al

I have a fairly heavily-planted tank, so would epsom salts be a bad idea in there? Should I remove this fish and put her in a separate small tank or great big bucket (I have a six gallon and can pop an HOB filter and spare heater on) to dose the epsom salts)? If so, how long to leave her there?
Or... should I dose the whole tank, plants and other fish included, and get everybody pooping like crazy all at once.
(Oh, that's just an even more charming substrate vacuum prospect...:vomit:)
I have a big box of "an unofficial grade of pure magnesium sulphate prepared for use in baths, unscented, for external use only."
That the stuff?

brewmaster15
12-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Its not really necessary to use the epsom...I just mentioned it since you were not enjoying the visuals:) the worms will pass on their own.

As far as I know...magnesium sulfate has no adverse effect on plants... ...but I am not a planted tank guy.

hth,
al

aquagal
12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
When treating w/ epsom salts, do you just use what you can get at the drug store? There's not a special, "fish-friendly", type...?

pcsb23
12-16-2007, 04:20 PM
When treating w/ epsom salts, do you just use what you can get at the drug store? There's not a special, "fish-friendly", type...?
Yes, any form of magnesium sulphate will do the trick.

It will cause no harm to plants either.

Polar_Bear
12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
I have a fairly heavily-planted tank, so would epsom salts be a bad idea in there? Should I remove this fish and put her in a separate small tank or great big bucket (I have a six gallon and can pop an HOB filter and spare heater on) to dose the epsom salts)? If so, how long to leave her there?
Or... should I dose the whole tank, plants and other fish included, and get everybody pooping like crazy all at once.
(Oh, that's just an even more charming substrate vacuum prospect...:vomit:)
I have a big box of "an unofficial grade of pure magnesium sulphate prepared for use in baths, unscented, for external use only."
That the stuff?

Epsom salts will NOT hurt your plants, as a matter of fact many plant people add it to their planted tank water to make their soft water harder.

Wahter
12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Epsom salts are fine for planted tanks.

Like Al said, usually all the tapeworms are killed in the initial treatment. (at least in my experience).

Walter

judy
12-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks, all-- just got back form Xmas shopping and checked her, and most of the worms are no longer danging-- there's one little stub of a thing.
I'll wait to see of any bloat develops, and will feel free to dose the tank eth epsom slats if her little system needs a purge...

judy
12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
update: after first shwoing the worms on Sunday morning, two days after his arrival in my tank, on Monday he's still expelling worms. No one else is, including his mate (who's a fair bit bigger than him; I'm thinking sans worms maybe he'll do some better growing, though he may be stunted depending on how long he's had the worms.) I figure he should be done with this nonsense by tomorrow, at which point eager substrate vacuuming will transpire. I'll do the math for the amount of water removed, and top up whatever Prazipro I take out at the same time.

baldpate
12-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I personally want to thank you for the posted pictures. I have had difficulty diagnosing diseases, partly because text descriptions can only communicate so much. Your pictures helped me to be 100% certain my fish have not had tapeworms. I'll know now if I ever see them.

Thanks again!

phidelt85
12-18-2007, 09:58 PM
I personally want to thank you for the posted pictures. I have had difficulty diagnosing diseases, partly because text descriptions can only communicate so much. Your pictures helped me to be 100% certain my fish have not had tapeworms. I'll know now if I ever see them.

Thanks again!

Ditto..that's a great example for those of us that haven't experienced that before, it definitely gives us a yardstick to measure with.

judy
12-19-2007, 11:41 AM
My pleasure to be of help in a small way-- in a gruseome kinda way. I, too, have always had difficulty assessing wired-looking feces-like expellations and trying to figure out from descriptions and microscopic-level images what the heck is that stuff...
BTW, the discus finishing expelling worms in roughly three bouts over 48 hours. I spotted normal poop yesterday.
Not posting that pic. We all know normal!:block: