PDA

View Full Version : Disckus and light

mktorn
12-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Hi there,
I have got 8 3" discus last Saturday (Dec 15, 2007). Fish are going well except two things. They really scary for aquarium light and me doing water changes. If aquarium light is off they swim around and actively eating even from my hand.
Feeding: I tried bloodworms - they like them most, almost no sympathy to Tetra bits and mysis shrimp, tried but nod very actively beefheart.
What do you think about that? Is it normal and will go away, or it is indication of upcoming problems?
Thanks in advance for your replies,
Michael

White Worm
12-18-2007, 01:25 AM
They just need time to settle and get used to you. Keep doing everything you normally do and they will adapt to your movements around them and they will get used to it. When i do w/c's and vac waste, I have to move them out of the way with my hand because they couldnt care less that my hand and arm is next to them. Patience. :)

mktorn
12-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Thank you,
You gave me hope that it will correct itself.

Tropical Haven
12-18-2007, 09:48 AM
It just takes time, the more that your around the tank the better.

mktorn
12-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi there,
There is a day 8th for my discus. The light problem seems gone, but fish still is very sensitive to people moving around. Some time they just panicked when I went near by (one almost jumped out from tank). Is it again just a matter of time to get use to new place?
This is a picture of my tank.
Thanks for your advices,
Michael

rick.c
12-24-2007, 05:52 PM
your tank looks nice !!! i like the drift wood . the fish dont like shadows ,some times mine still freak out if they see a shadow from me comeing at them from over head

aquagal
12-24-2007, 06:06 PM
I have six juvenilles in a 55gal and they do exactly what you describe. I am hoping they will calm down eventually and settle in. Many on this forum assure me they will so I'm sure yours will as well.

mktorn
12-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Hi there,
Merry Christmas to all of you. I wish you and your discus to be happy and joyful next year.
One guy on the other discus forum advised me eliminate the driftwood to do a shock therapy for fish shame. I eliminated one piece of driftwood, will see how it works. I don’t believe personally in the shock therapy at all, but…

Cheers,
Michael

Rogerthedodger
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Michael,

I think someone is messing with you! "shock therapy".....what the heck is that? And the drift wood......I have tons of wood in my set up....Discus LOVE it and I believe feel more secure with more places to hide if they are so inclined. Just be patient....they will get used to you.

Roger

White Worm
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Dont wear dark clothing like black. Mine still get spooked after years when I wear a black t-shirt around their tank.

C_of_Discus
01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
They freak out with shadows I prefer a glass lid over a common hood
the glass lid eliminates the shadows. they seem to settle down with even lights and even temp. I would not worry they will settle down given time.

Dying for Discus
01-04-2008, 10:59 PM
That's a lovely tank!!!

BSW
01-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Shock therapy is a bunch of huey !
But I would certainly watch them on the drift wood, until they settle, cause they can hurt themselves flighting into it. Walk slowly around the tank until they get use to you. I leave a light on in the room at night where the tank is, as the Lunar Lights in the hood don't really provide enough night light for them. And they spook easier in the dark.
They will settle pretty quick if you don't scare them and catch them by surprise. Mine are fine with it now. Lights on or off.
The tank is beautiful !
B

Darrell Ward
01-05-2008, 12:34 PM
It just takes time for them to get used to a new environment. When they do get used to it, every time you get near the tank, they will be dancing around the front of the tank waiting for you to feed them.

mktorn
01-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi there,
This was a month since I get my discus. Following is where my tank and fish is now.
The beauty of the tank has been destroyed as a result of few my mistakes.
I’ve fed them over and got outbreak of worms in the tank colonized under gravel. As a treatment I have taken gravel and driftwood out and now rune just a BB tank. As a result fish is growing and actively eating. I think to start returning driftwood piece by piece and see how they will react. The shadows are still being scary for fish some time, but way less frequent. They gather all together and take food right from the hand.
The lessons that I learned:
- Great thanks to Barb Newell who breed the fish. That was last of her fish.
- Now I know why bare bottom tank is always recommended to grow juvenile discus. It is way easier to keep the tank clean while you still adjusting your feeding quantity and schedule.
- I’ve found very useful to put a piece of coarse sponge in to filter intake, as a prefilter. This collects all debris and crap before it goes to the external filter. I get ammonia growing after just two weeks and realized that external filter is just packed with organics. I washed filter and applied sponge. Then ammonia went back to 0 next day. The payout is that you need wash the sponge daily.
- Feeding schedule. I realized that I should feed fish with most favorite food (blood worms in my case) at the morning. They eat it all with no uneaten bits to be decomposed. Then auto feeder gives to them Tetra bits - again eating completely. And I feed them beef heart when I get home 3 times in 6 hours and clean the tank before bed time.
I am still learning to keep my discus better and I thank all of you for your advices on this nice forum.
Thanks a lot,
Michael

mktorn
03-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi there,
After 3 months keeping my discus I decided to add them two BN plecos as the tank mates. I've read that they prefer colder water and I gradually put the temperature in the discus tank down to 86F from previous 90F.
That affected my fish in unexpected way. Way became really sensitive and easy frightening. They may even lay down on the gravel when I turn the light on now. It makes me scary if something wrong with them. Should I raise the temperature back?

I'll appreciate any advice.

Thank you,
Michael

richmond5
03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
What are the sizes of you discs? May be they were afraid of or simply not used to the presence of the plecos. I will definitely keep an eye on the plecos, especially when they get big , some like to suck on the Discus for their slime. I don't think the temp has anything to do with it. As a matter of fact , you did the right thing by lowering the temp. One time, I raised the temp to 35-36 degree and kill 2 of my plecos.

mktorn
03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Discus are 5" now and plecos just 2". Plecos are hiding under sponge filters every day. Most likely discus may scary them. I even feed the discus by BH with metro in. It didn't change anything.

Michael

Apistomaster
03-27-2008, 06:17 PM
BushyNose Plecos are the best species to keep with discus but your standard temperature should be 84*F.

Armandi_Fishcarer
03-28-2008, 03:21 AM
Tank looks awesome

Pleco's generally hide when light is on. They will get used to things as-well as the Discus vis-ver

Regards Armandi ;)

mktorn
03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Thank you all for your replies,
I think I found a reason. Yesterday water test shows some ammonia and nitrites raise. I siphoned a gravel and hope it should be better with my daily 25% WC.
I have seen one of the plecos traveling around the tank already.
Cheers,:)
Michael