PDA

View Full Version : Not tapeworm or hex but what?

RAVEN
12-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi guys, i have two pigeons about 3years old and they have been getting very thin over the past 4 months or so. They eat and act normal but did not pass any worms which i thought was the problem during their prazy treatment. Their fins are also starting to fray or split. I pulled them out of a 120gal and have been in a 20g tank for 2 weeks with their meds. followed the prazy dose on the form not the bottle. They have always had lots of new clean water. Any ideas on diagnoses would be great help.

kaceyo
12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Prazi is only good for a few types of worms, like tape worms. Try using something like panacure (in food), lavamisol or flubenol. They kill a much wider variety of parasites. I know Jehmco carries panacure but you may have to ask around about the others.

Kacey

RAVEN
12-18-2007, 08:31 PM
So you still think its some kind of worm and not something else?

kaceyo
12-18-2007, 10:37 PM
There is no way to tell without a microscope but thats where I'd start since they are eating well but getting thin never the less.
HTH,

Kacey

RAVEN
12-19-2007, 12:08 AM
I will give that a try thanks.

pcsb23
12-19-2007, 05:44 PM
I'd go with panacur in food as Kacey says, the symptoms ar consistent with nematodes. Levimasol or Flubenol is a good alternative too and can be dosed in the water, panacur should not be dosed in the water.