PDA

View Full Version : LSS - Colour and Pattern Development

MHTan
12-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi, I have a LSS which is now more than 4" in size but it the colour and pattern (spots) are not showing up yet.

I feed my discus BH with Spirulina and supplement it with Tetrabits and FBW.

Any chance that it wont develop any colour and pattern? Or some LSS are just late bloomers? I have other LSS that has some colour and pattern @ 2".

Here's the picture of the fish...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/2097372415_ceb6c9bc03.jpg

brewmaster15
12-19-2007, 06:46 AM
HI,
My experiences with growing out small spotted isn't as great as other here so hopefully they can chime in... but by 4 inches..I think you would have seen some pattern..I think your LSS may not have much pattern as an adult.

That said..Its shape is nice and it has some nice highlights in its fins...I wonder if you were to add more red pigments to its diet (like paprika and nutrurose) how red it would get..

hth,
al

Discus_KC
12-19-2007, 07:52 AM
To me this fish will not have LSS spotting. I don't even see faint hints of spots in the body.

Jack

dpt8
12-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Beautiful fish !! Must be a throw-back... I like Al's idea.. David

MHTan
12-19-2007, 08:41 AM
HI,
My experiences with growing out small spotted isn't as great as other here so hopefully they can chime in... but by 4 inches..I think you would have seen some pattern..I think your LSS may not have much pattern as an adult.

That said..Its shape is nice and it has some nice highlights in its fins...I wonder if you were to add more red pigments to its diet (like paprika and nutrurose) how red it would get..

hth,
al

Hi Al, thanks. I have astaxanthin and will try to add some to my next batch of BHM. I try to use astaxanthin sparingly as it doesnt come cheap since it's not available locally and i need to get it from the US. I will keep you guys posted on the development. - Mark

To me this fish will not have LSS spotting. I don't even see faint hints of spots in the body.

Jack

Hi Jack, thanks. Is this common to spotted fish or is my LSS some sort of a cross breed? - Mark

Beautiful fish !! Must be a throw-back... I like Al's idea.. David

Hi David, Thanks. It could very well be. It's frustrating to see this particular fish didnt turn out to be what the seller said it would be. I guess it's just part of learning. - Mark

kaceyo
12-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I don't think this guy will ever have much for markings, spotted or otherwize. If NatuRose is hard to get and expensive there, I'd save it for something with some potential. Try paprica instead and it could still end up with a nicer red base.

Kacey

GulfCoastDiscus
12-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi Mark,
This fish will more than likely not have any spots at all. Maybe a few when fully adults but not your typical LSS.
Looks like an alenquer snake.
dan

MHTan
12-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't think this guy will ever have much for markings, spotted or otherwize. If NatuRose is hard to get and expensive there, I'd save it for something with some potential. Try paprica instead and it could still end up with a nicer red base.

Kacey

Hi Kacey, thanks for the advice. I will continue to feed them w/ Paprika.

Hi Mark,
This fish will more than likely not have any spots at all. Maybe a few when fully adults but not your typical LSS.
Looks like an alenquer snake.
dan

Hi Dan, yeah I been nabbed as it was sold to me as a LSS. I feel really disappointed because I kept on waiting for the spots to develop only to find out that it wasnt a LSS. I was able to sell 2 other similar fish a few weeks ago and I somehow feel bad now because I told the buyer those were LSS. Some breeders are just too damn dishonest.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Regardless of the kind of strain, they look great. The body shape is very nice. I like them a lot. I use to have alenquer snakes in the past and they are gorgeous as adults. Keep them you won't regret it.:)

Good work

I found the pic of my alenquer snakeskin from the past.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/GulfCoastDiscus/000IMG_0018.jpg

MHTan
12-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Regardless of the kind of strain, they look great. The body shape is very nice. I like them a lot. I use to have alenquer snakes in the past and they are gorgeous as adults. Keep them you won't regret it.:)

Good work

Hi Dan, thanks for taking the time to find the picture. Those are indeed gorgeous fishes.

kaceyo
12-21-2007, 03:40 PM
It's possible for fish that came from LSS parents to look as yours does. If you bought it fairly small the breeder may not have known it wouldn't spot up. It's always a risk to buy very small spots for that reason. If you want gauranteed nice spotteds, buy tham large enough to have spots already. try Jack at Discus KC for homegrown spots and Kenny's Discus is one of many reliable importers.

Kacey

MHTan
12-21-2007, 09:24 PM
It's possible for fish that came from LSS parents to look as yours does. If you bought it fairly small the breeder may not have known it wouldn't spot up. It's always a risk to buy very small spots for that reason. If you want gauranteed nice spotteds, buy tham large enough to have spots already. try Jack at Discus KC for homegrown spots and Kenny's Discus is one of many reliable importers.

Kacey

Hi Kacey, thanks. I would love to buy discus from importers in the US but unfortunately I live in the Philippines. There are maybe only 1 or 2 (and maybe 3) reliable breeders here and importing a few fishes can be very expensive. I was lucky to import a few discus from Singapore months ago and i was very pleased with the quality. I was also privileged to get some local breds from a reliable breeder here but he is not into commercial breeding so his stock can be limited at times. I truly wish we have more options to get quality discus here but the hobby is not as popular as other fish hobby at the moment.

MSD
12-24-2007, 10:44 AM
That fish looks like it has the recessive gene for the ancestors for LSS, a nice fish but, spotless.

MHTan
03-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Just wanted to share the development of this particular discus...I didnt expect it would still develop patterns. It's actually a Snakeskin rather than a Leopard Snake Skin.

Before
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/2097372415_ceb6c9bc03.jpg

Now
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3287/2333233766_16a5c11a97.jpg

GulfCoastDiscus
03-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Nice developement. Big difference between the before and after. It does have spots.

digthemlows
03-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Wow! I haven't seen that much color develope after 4" before.......cool to see! I liked it as an alenquer as well as now. Nice job!

RickMay1
03-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I also had a fish do a dramatic change in appearance. The first photo is form 9 months the second is form 12 months

richmond5
03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
How big is it now?

CliffsDiscus
03-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Nice looking snakeskin, but in my option they will not develope the spotting, maybe a few spots at most later. Offsprings of LSS will produce turquoise, RGS, greens, leopards, scribbles,
solid snakes, striated snakes, spotted snakes without striation, snakes with turquoise stariation and LSS, you got the whole ball of wax.

Cliff

MHTan
03-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Wow! I haven't seen that much color develope after 4" before.......cool to see! I liked it as an alenquer as well as now. Nice job!

Thanks.

I also had a fish do a dramatic change in appearance. The first photo is form 9 months the second is form 12 months

cool! Nice development.

How big is it now?

It's almost 6" including the tail.

Nice looking snakeskin, but in my option they will not develope the spotting, maybe a few spots at most later. Offsprings of LSS will produce turquoise, RGS, greens, leopards, scribbles,
solid snakes, striated snakes, spotted snakes without striation, snakes with turquoise stariation and LSS, you got the whole ball of wax.

Cliff

Hi Cliff, it is indeed a whole ball of wax. He also found himself a mate. He paired with an Alenquer/Brown female in my community tank. I dont know what the offsping will be like. Anyway, I dont have the time to breed them so I'll just let them be for now.

Nice developement. Big difference between the before and after. It does have spots.

hi Dan, how are you? It's been quite awhile since I see you post in PDS. I've been busy myself with work so I also seldom visit the site and post.

MSD
03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I would not have believed the change had I not seen it myself, nice job. What type of foods are you using on it?