PDA

View Full Version : Heaters:Float or attach??

orthofish
12-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I've heard some horror stories about fish getting stuck between the glass and heater. Was wondering what most people do???

Polar_Bear
12-20-2007, 12:53 AM
I use Hydor ETH and take them entirely out of the tank, Rena also now makes an external inline heater, which I've ordered but not recieved yet, so I can't speak for them. But the ETH is the best heater I've ever owned and, I've owned just about every make and model.

fishmama
12-20-2007, 08:48 AM
I do both...just depends on the tank, how it is setup and what I have in it. Not much help here I guess ;-)

orthofish
12-20-2007, 12:45 PM
O.K. fishmama. I'm gonna give you another shot. As of tomorrow, ten 2.5-3" discus:D One piece of driftwood, maybe a few artificial plants, and two 300W heaters. Oh, yea, a couple of rocks too, if that matters.

fishmama
12-20-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm going to assume barebottom tank...and growing out small fish means multiple feedings and cleanings...I would just let them sit on the bottom of the tank, unattached.

:-)

orthofish
12-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks. That is what I'll do.

el wad
01-02-2008, 01:42 PM
be careful with the hydor ETH. mine recently died in the middle of the coldest week of the year. nothing better than waking up and finding your discus tank temp around 70F...

I attribute it to the fact that I had it on a 96g. tank, when the directions stated 80g. Too bad there was only around 80gal. in the tank, considering the substrate wood etc...

I used to swear by them, but now....I'm not so sure.

I ended up ditching the hydor and going with an submersible eheim heater.

White Worm
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I let mine hang in the corner, not attached. If they get interested in them as far as laying eggs on them, I lay them down flat on the bottom, not attached.

Apistomaster
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I attach my submersible heaters to the bottom glass until the suction cups wear out then I just let the lie.

I think it's only a dying discus that seeks out the heater to rest that is the source of the horror stories. No healthy discus is going to get "stuck" between the heater and the glass.

el wad
01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I agree w/larry

RyanH
01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
I've never had a problem with a fish getting stuck behind a heater. I'd be more concerned about a glass submersible heater breaking because it's knocking around on the bottom.