PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone skip a day of feeding?

subcooler
12-20-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm new to discus raising & have read in different books that, skipping a day of feeding(either weekly or bi-weekly) is good for discus.
Is this true?
Is this a practice that others are doing in their feeding schedule?
After all the nonsense I went through striving for a low Ph(after reading)-I decided to ask here,before I possibly create a problem blindly doing anything (because a book said to!)
Thanks for all your help-This forum is great.I get real advice from people with practical experience raising the most beatiful FW fish around!
Rob

Evan
12-20-2007, 07:46 AM
if everyone was healthy the only reason I ever have withheld food is to get them to eat something else.

Ex. if they would only eat bloodworms and they need to eat a pellet etc.

If you had a day where you could not do WC then you could withhold messy foods.

Elite Aquaria
12-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Only time I skip meals is when I am going to ship fish...

fishmama
12-20-2007, 08:53 AM
The only reason I have ever "skipped" feedings is due to being gone on vacation...and that was for a week! Keep in mind that the fish were all adults.

dishpanhands
12-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Call me anything you like. Just don't call me late for dinner...:D

I have had to miss a day of WC and a day of food they all lived..I didn't have any real young fish..everything I had was over 90 days old..

RyanH
12-20-2007, 01:06 PM
I've fasted adults from time to time. Never juveniles.

subcooler
12-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all your help!
It would be hard to ignore thier begging @ the glass for a whole day-Glad to hear nobody else is fasting thier fish!
Another myth busted by Simply Discus(much better than the books I have read!)
Rob

rick.c
12-20-2007, 07:52 PM
just remember what they miss when they are young can not be made up when they are older

ArtOfFish
12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
I have skipped meals when the discus are just playing with there food and spitting it back out when I do this the next day they make sure to finish everything !

Alex
ArtOfFish

GulfCoastDiscus
12-20-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't think in the wild they go a day without eating.:)

Only 1 day before shipping.

dan