PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts?

numinous
12-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I have 2 Venus Leopards 5" (for 2 months) and 4 Oriental Leopard Dreams 4" (for 4 months). They are all eating like pigs, appear vigorous and healthy and are growing like weeds. The water is 86 F, 0 NH3, 0 NO2, <5 NO3, Ph 6.5, crystal clear, 40% daily wc. I have noticed some small, discreet white spots on their tails. None on other fins or bodies. They don't seem to bother the fish in any way. What are/could they be? Ich? If they aren't bothering the fish should I do anything?

Mickey

judy
12-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Could be ich, and if so, if its not eradicated, they will become very bothered. Some say raising the tank temp to over 90 degrees (even up to 94) for a week will get rid of ich-- at 86 degrees it cannot reproduce, but at higher temperautres, it is killed off completely, and Discus can handle those high temps.
Wiser heads than mine may wiegh in, though, on this theory...which I have never tried.

Mick B
12-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I have 2 Venus Leopards 5" (for 2 months) and 4 Oriental Leopard Dreams 4" (for 4 months). They are all eating like pigs, appear vigorous and healthy and are growing like weeds. The water is 86 F, 0 NH3, 0 NO2, <5 NO3, Ph 6.5, crystal clear, 40% daily wc. I have noticed some small, discreet white spots on their tails. None on other fins or bodies. They don't seem to bother the fish in any way. What are/could they be? Ich? If they aren't bothering the fish should I do anything?

Mickey

Hi Mickey,
If we are talking a few (one or 3) little white pimples 1/16" Dia with a slight opaque ring/base, and they are NOT flashing etc, I would #hang fire' doing anything.

If they start to spread, increase etc, review! but;

I think they may just be 'zits' in the slime-coat, mine get the odd one from time to time, lasts a day or so, then gone!

Tends to happen, if there is a change in water? or they are flirting etc??

HTH, Cheers, Mick B

numinous
12-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Mick,

They are smaller than 1/16, but they are very few and only on the tail fin. They don't seem to bothe fish, ie: no flashing or rubbing. Water parameters are quite steady, but I have had a clouding problem which only recently cleared up.

Mickey

Graham
12-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't do a thing at this point, I doubt that it's ich

Judy there are strains of Ich coming out of Fl that couldn't care less about water temps...90* doesn't mean a thing to them business as usual:mad: