PDA

View Full Version : Well this is the Pits - The Holidays and put on a bland diet!

tpl*co
12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Well been having stomach issues from the pain killers for my shoulder tendinitis and possibly have an ulcer.

They put me on a strict special diet that is pretty much like this:

NO:
Cigarette Smoking (OK)
Coffee (both regular and decaffeinated) and other drinks that contain caffeine (HEY!)
Alcohol
Citrus fruits
Tomato Products
Chocolate, mints or peppermints (NO STARBUCKS PEPPERMINT MOCHAS!:waaa:)
Fatty foods or spicy foods (pizza, chili, curry)
Onions
Garlic
Pulp fruits

Really the pits that they had a Holiday potluck at work and all I could eat was a small portion of turkey, rice, water and the bread I brought. Had to walk past the desert table! Won a holiday basket at Bingo though!

The bad: No chocolate for this chocoholic! (Killed me to see my husband scarf down the chocolates I got in the basket!:mad:)

I guess the bright side would be - NO FRUITCAKE! LOL.

Tina

poconogal
12-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Awww, Tina, that stinks, I know how you feel. Being diabetic, most of your off limits stuff is permanently off limits for me, plus lots of other stuff, too. Talk about deprivation! :( Around the holidays, it is just plain TORTURE!!!! (But I actually love Fruitcake, can't have it though)

Kindredspirit
12-21-2007, 10:02 AM
aww...that sucks! I have the third of four xmas parties today! And today will be the best ~ best food ~ all catered and my second bonus:D

But your health is important, Tina!!

poconogal
12-21-2007, 10:04 AM
aww...that sucks! I have the third of four xmas parties today! And today will be the best ~ best food ~ all catered and my second bonus:D

:p sure, Marie, rub it in for us poor, deprived folks! ;)

Kindredspirit
12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
:p sure, Marie, rub it in for us poor, deprived folks! ;)

Sorry:(

poconogal
12-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Awww, that's okay, I'm used to not eating by now! :D

brewmaster15
12-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi Tina,
Thats too bad... Docs usually put you on a med like prilosec if theres stomach issues like it sounds like for you.....I've been there and it aint any fun:(

Are you on something like prilosec..omerprazole, or related? If not.. you may want to ask...It saved me big time when I had 6 weeks of Doxycycline for lyme disease.

hope you feel better soon.

-al

Ardan
12-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Get well soon Tina,
I know how it is, one thanksgiving I could only have a steak and some rice:o due to med problem.
But I survived.

Killed me to see my husband scarf down the chocolates I got in the basket!:mad:)
NOT FAIR at All!!! That would be bad
I hope you get better!

Ardan

Discus_KC
12-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Tina,

Just take it one day at a time. I've lost like 15 pounds being on the medications. At least this way I won't be porking out and crying about dieting after the holidays.

Do what the Doc's say. Don't mess with your health.

Jack

tpl*co
12-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi Tina,
Thats too bad... Docs usually put you on a med like prilosec if theres stomach issues like it sounds like for you.....I've been there and it aint any fun:(

Are you on something like prilosec..omerprazole, or related? If not.. you may want to ask...It saved me big time when I had 6 weeks of Doxycycline for lyme disease.

hope you feel better soon.

-al

Yes, I'm on omerprazole and another one called sucralfate. Have to not eat 2 hours before and 1 hour after and take it 4x a day. Then I have some others that I need to take on an empty stomach too but can't take with these. With spreading them out, I guess I get a few minutes a day to eat. LOL. Doctor says eating is over rated though.

Tina

tpl*co
12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Tina,

Just take it one day at a time. I've lost like 15 pounds being on the medications. At least this way I won't be porking out and crying about dieting after the holidays.

Do what the Doc's say. Don't mess with your health.

Jack

Thanks Jack, I guess this is God's way to get me to diet! LOL.

Tina

tpl*co
12-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Awww, Tina, that stinks, I know how you feel. Being diabetic, most of your off limits stuff is permanently off limits for me, plus lots of other stuff, too. Talk about deprivation! :( Around the holidays, it is just plain TORTURE!!!! (But I actually love Fruitcake, can't have it though)

Thanks Connie and big hugs,

My dad had diabeties and I had it when I was pregnant with my son. Yep I agree, no fun.

A boss at my place makes killer chocolate mint cookies too. People try to guess the recipe she uses. Took some will power to pass by those.

Tina

tpl*co
12-22-2007, 12:04 AM

But your health is important, Tina!!

Yep, sticking to the diet so I don't have to go back to emergency or urgent care again. Stomach issues stink.

Sounds like things are looking up for you Marie though, a second bonus?

Tina

mench
12-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Hang in there,just do what the docs say and it will be over in no time...

Connie what type do ya have? I have type 2 and have gotten used to not eating all the good stuff..

Mench

tpl*co
01-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Well, the good news is - I've lost 12 pounds so far - Yay!:D
(guess this is God's way to force me to diet)

Other good news - still no fruitcake ;)

Still have to be careful, with this diet it is readily apparant just how spiced up prepared foods really are. I had a plain roast beef sandwich (just the beef, lettuce, cheese and bread) when the lady said it wasn't spiced at all. Well, my tummy told me otherwise, must've had pepper and garlic.

Tina

Discus_KC
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Good job Tina !!!

I'm still losing too.

Jack

poconogal
01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Hang in there,just do what the docs say and it will be over in no time...

Connie what type do ya have? I have type 2 and have gotten used to not eating all the good stuff..

Mench
Yeah, Type 2, sigh... I did eat some forbidden stuff these holidays, though...

Well, the good news is - I've lost 12 pounds so far - Yay!:D
(guess this is God's way to force me to diet)

Other good news - still no fruitcake ;)....

Tina

Tina, that's great, 12 lbs.! At least it has a good side effect, right? Good news - NO FRUITCAKE??? :shocked: How can you say that? I LOVE fruitcake... LOL!!!! :D

tpl*co
01-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah, Type 2, sigh... I did eat some forbidden stuff these holidays, though...

Tina, that's great, 12 lbs.! At least it has a good side effect, right? Good news - NO FRUITCAKE??? :shocked: How can you say that? I LOVE fruitcake... LOL!!!! :D

LOL Connie, what kills me is NO CHOCOLATE! I'm a confirmed chocoholic, poor boss had to scramble to get me another gift at Christmas :o No chocolate must've accounted for at least 5 of those 12 pounds lost :D

I've got a new HMO now, and just talked to my new doctor, hopefully he'll get to the bottom of this. *sigh* more blood tests in the morning. (well, since I'm not eating anything, the fasting part should be easy)

Don't fool around though with the Diabetes. I've got it floating around in my family too and have seen what it can do (and had to prick my finger when pregnant with my son too). Another good reason for me to take off some weight!

Tina

pcsb23
01-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Tina, sorry to hear you are not well, but at least on the bright side you are losing some weight - not that I am suggesting anything (he said hastily trying to dig himself out of a hole). Hope you get well soon.

poconogal
01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
LOL Connie, what kills me is NO CHOCOLATE! I'm a confirmed chocoholic, poor boss had to scramble to get me another gift at Christmas :o No chocolate must've accounted for at least 5 of those 12 pounds lost :D

I've got a new HMO now, and just talked to my new doctor, hopefully he'll get to the bottom of this. *sigh* more blood tests in the morning. (well, since I'm not eating anything, the fasting part should be easy)
Tina
OH, Tina, now that IS serious... NO CHOCOLATE! Eeeek! I at least can eat the sugar free kind, some are very good... Hopefully your new doc will be able to get to the bottom of this. I have a friend that's going thru the same thing, it started in the fall, and she's also trying to get to the bottom of things.

Tina, sorry to hear you are not well, but at least on the bright side you are losing some weight - not that I am suggesting anything (he said hastily trying to dig himself out of a hole). Hope you get well soon.
Paul, here you go...