PDA

View Full Version : Formalin & Chloram-x

DavidH
12-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Would like to treat with antiparasitic med, maybe formalin or fmg but I use Chloram for chloramines in tap and from what I've been reading it says not to use these with Chloram-X.
So any suggestions on what I should do??

Thx Dave

Graham
12-21-2007, 04:11 PM
ChloramX and Amquel are basically the same chemical and they'll interfere with the Malachite Green. Formalin by itself isn't as good as when it's combined with the MG, so it makes the med basically useless or limited.

Either chem can only react with the F&MG if there is excess amounts of it in the water that hasn't been used up by the chlorine or ammonia. So watch how much you put it. This will apply to any meds that has a dye based chem in it like PP and MB

The other option is to age your water if all you have is chlorine in it

:santa:

G

tonymaccs
12-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Formalin by itself it as goos when it's combined with the MG so it makes the med basically useless.

G
Graham,
What does this sentence mean?
Tony

Graham
12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Each chem/dye is half decent by itself but when they are combined together they are an excellent chem and will deliver a bigger punch than they would individually. They are more potent together.....The effect is called Synergistic.

So if you use a de-chlor as in this case that will affect dye products like MG then you back to just using Formalin...........

I'll fix the other sentence...it wasn't well written:(

I'll be waiting for the express post with skid marking turds in it.... koi turds don't leave skid marks, I checked...mind you neither do my mutt discus.....Hmmm maybe it has something to do with quality and breeding :D:D:D;)

G

DavidH
12-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey G. I do have chloramines so have to treat for ammonia also.
Read online that this will also negate formalin and PP, so where does this leave me for treating external parasites.
Had some flashing which I have seemed to have controlled with Prazipro.
Just wondered what I could use for other critters if needed with my options limited by Chloram??

Dave

Graham
12-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Dave as long as all the ChloramX reacts with the chlorine and chloramines then you're fine to treat with F&MG, MB or PP. It's only when there's excess de-chlor that it'll mess up these chems.

G

DavidH
12-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Thx G.

Dave

majik
12-26-2007, 04:46 PM
ChloramX and Amquel are basically the same chemical and they'll interfere with the Malachite Green. Formalin by itself isn't as good as when it's combined with the MG, so it makes the med basically useless or limited.

Either chem can only react with the F&MG if there is excess amounts of it in the water that hasn't been used up by the chlorine or ammonia. So watch how much you put it. This will apply to any meds that has a dye based chem in it like PP and MB

The other option is to age your water if all you have is chlorine in it

:santa:

G

hi graham sorry to pinch thread but if i was to use formalin with mg to treat flukes would i use stated dose of each or lower dosage because using both????

pcsb23
12-29-2007, 06:08 PM
hi graham sorry to pinch thread but if i was to use formalin with mg to treat flukes would i use stated dose of each or lower dosage because using both????
I use stated dose of each, but normally buy it pre-mixed.

kaceyo
12-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey Paul,
Do you use 1 or 2 drops p/gal of typical Rid-Ick type meds? I seem to remember that the bottle calles for no more than 1 drop p/gal while you use 2. Is this right or do I have it wrong?

Kacey

pcsb23
12-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Paul,
Do you use 1 or 2 drops p/gal of typical Rid-Ick type meds? I seem to remember that the bottle calles for no more than 1 drop p/gal while you use 2. Is this right or do I have it wrong?

Kacey
I generally use 2 drops a gallon of the typical premixed FMG based meds for external parasites.

kaceyo
12-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks Paul. I never understood why they called for only one drop while Formalin, which makes up the bulk of it, is two or more.

Kacey