PDA

View Full Version : Pair trouble

wolvy
12-25-2007, 04:31 PM
My turq on 10th spawn last 3 produced 100+ young this spawn going totally different.They fighting like never before with young in the tank mrs. has quite an attitude this time she mouths the young and spits them at him seems he is totally off guard and eats them.But the whole time has young on his back never seen him eat one on his own this pair been together for a year worried about splitting them up til young on their own ANY THOUGHTS???? thanx wolvy aka Steve

mikesmac
12-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Wolvy,

Eggcrate divider between them. The fry will still feed off both parents and they'll be able to see each other but not fight.

Mike

wolvy
12-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanx Mike in place but all little ones are on his side she is not very happy this pair never acted like this with any of their previous spawns i am concerned

mikesmac
12-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Hi Steve,

I've had mine do this....I don't know why. I almost think it is because the females produce eggs too fast and want to lay more eggs even though they already have fry. The males, which a lot of people say are the better ones for taking care of the fry, seem to be more interested in doing that and so the females, which are usually the one to initiate the breeding activity, badger the male to get him to participate. If he doesn't, and only wants to take care of the fry, then it turns violent.... must be the "woman scorned" thing :) The divider has worked for me... the females settle down once they don't have the access to the male and the fry should feed off of both of them even though they do seem to favor the males. Once the fry are big enough to be separated from the parents, removal of the divider should put them right back into breeding mode if that is what you want. Sometimes it might be a good idea to leave it in place for a little while though to give them a break to recover depending on how many successive times they have had fry.

Mike

doc3toes
12-26-2007, 02:52 AM
aren't the fry old enough to be on their own? just a question.

wolvy
12-26-2007, 03:27 AM
no these fry became free on xmas day the day of my post.Let me add to my original post not 100 fry per spawn but the number they kept going in the last 3 spawns

wolvy
12-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanx Mike that has been working very well,dad doing his duty mom seems to care less still have about 35 free swimmers.Seems to be no anamocity between the pair so far thanx Steve

mikesmac
12-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm glad it's working out. Don't forget to post some pictures... if the parents are some that you got from Bob at Upper Canada you should be getting some really good fry to grow out. I've got some female Red Covers from him that everyone loves when they see them.... wish I had a male :(

Mike

wolvy
12-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Off topic Mike i have wb's from bob garside 14 months to the day 3 females watched them all spawn with the 1 male he is just like a kid in the candy store.No dig cam here but male is the first forrest shipment here.The really good part of this deal i did get 1 early forrest white scorpion she is a stand out.Bottom line i really trying to get her going with this male hope i get cam up soon Steve aka wolvy