PDA

View Full Version : power filters in breeding tanks

Diamond Discus
12-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I am wondering how many of you use a small power filter in your breeding tanks in addition to a sponge filter. I'm thinking about removing mine. Also, if you use a power filter what size filter do you use on what size of tank and what is your water change schedule for this type of set up.

Thanks!!
Sue

dishpanhands
12-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Power filters will eat the babies you will need to turn it off. even if you have a prefilter on it..

poconogal
12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi Sue. Many years ago I had angel fish fry that went freeswimming (they were not with parents, I removed the eggs to another tank). I had a small Aquaclear filter on the tank, I think it was the Mini. I also had a big sponge over the intake. The filter still sucked up the babies. After that the female angel killed the male, no more babies. :(

Diamond Discus
12-27-2007, 01:17 PM
I was planning on turning them off when they spawn, but I am thinking the current they produce may be counter productive to spawning as well.

Diamond Discus
12-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi Sue. Many years ago I had angel fish fry that went freeswimming (they were not with parents, I removed the eggs to another tank). I had a small Aquaclear filter on the tank, I think it was the Mini. I also had a big sponge over the intake. The filter still sucked up the babies. After that the female angel killed the male, no more babies. :(I guess my answer is becoming pretty clear already, Connie.;)

poconogal
12-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Yes Sue, seems clear to me! Was your house on the tour this year?

Diamond Discus
12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
No, it wasn't. I didn't even decorate as much. I had only my immediate family over for Christmas dinner, no in-laws or out-laws. I am still in stitches, literally. I went to Mayo Clinic on the 17th. Things are going well health wise, but I wanted a more intimate Christmas this year. ;) I haven't forgotten about your pictures. I'll post them on Bidka soon. :antlers:

jmcholden
01-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi,
I use a marineland adjustable 280 on a 29 breeder until they spawn and then turn it back on till the fry free swim. With the adjustable filter you can control the flow and still get some cleaning benefits. The extra flow also seems to help keep fungis in check a little ? After the fry get to about dime size you can turn it back on again to help keep up with the mess they produce.