PDA

View Full Version : Too Young to Foster/to great age diff ?????

D4veh
12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
I have a group of Pigeon blood babies that have left the cone today but the parents are very young (first free swimmers) and there are only 8 babies swimming.....

I have a pair with babies that have been free swimming for 4 days.....Is it worth trying to foster the smaller babies to the this pair ?

Or will this cause me more problems ???????????????

tonymaccs
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Should be good timing for fostering, but why not leave the young with the new parents and let them learn a little?
Tony

D4veh
12-28-2007, 01:18 PM
They had some attached, but there were 5-6 swimming around at the top of the tank and they were being completely ignored.....I gave them a day but then decided they would stand a better chance with the experienced pair......the other pair immediately rounded them up and they seem fine.....

I have left the ones attached to the original parents to see what happens, but the female is cleaning the cone again !!!

AADiscus
12-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Raising a batch of 5 is not really worth it. Since you do have another pair with fry that are only a few days old then I would give it try at moving them into the foster parents tank. Especially if your young female is cleaning the cone the 5 fry are more than likely gonna get eaten once she lays new eggs. Be very gentle when you move them. A straw or a piece of air line tubing works well.

D4veh
12-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I have a turkey baster which is perfect for catching the babies