PDA

View Full Version : Royal Yellow discus

darcy12877
12-29-2007, 01:17 PM
I was contacted by one of the lfs in my city and he said that he had just gotten in 2 royal yellow discus. I had never heard of them so I went over there and took a look, and WOW they're beutiful. The owner had them selling for $40 so I thought this was a amazing deal and took them both, along with a brilliantly coloured pigeon clood and 2 red turcoise ($30 for these 3)!!! The owner told me that he had never heard of them and said that yellow was a rare colour in discus. I dont now how to post my pics though it says that they are exceeding the limit of megabytes or something???

brewmaster15
12-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi Darcy,
Congrats on the new fish!.:):).

This thread may help you resize the pics...
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38346

hth,
al

Greg Richardson
12-29-2007, 01:50 PM
If you want those Yellow fish to stay yellow you will need to adjust your food ingredients. Below is research I've done on the subject

This is a prepared food. I know nothing about this.
Link came up in my research process.
http://www.discusfood.com/cms/index.php?article_id=35&clang=1

I prefer making my own food though.

If I was you I'd do a BH mixture containing Lutein that you can buy at health food store in capsules. They are powder so you can add to BH very easy.
I'd also add egg yolk, Kale, or Spinach with some FBW.

Below is from research file I took from links.
When doing research I cross check sites to be sure information is agreed at many sites before retaining in my files.

Notice health benefits for yourself.
After lengthy study about Lutein I am now taking it daily.
Very low cost supplement with fantastic benefits!

"Lutein (a carotenoid) is especially important to the health of the eye and maintenance of good sight.** Lutein is the yellow pigment found in the macula (the center of the retina). It is a crucial protector against macular degeneration and cataracts, because it counteracts damage from ultraviolet and blue light."**

Dr. Robert Abel, M.D., ophthalmologist and author of "The Eye Care Revolution," (p. 299, © 1999 Kensington Books)

The latest progress report from the Beaver Dam eye study, which involves adults from 43-84 years of age, suggests that lutein and zeaxanthin intake may reduce the incidence of cataracts 13. Cataracts are a generalized clouding of the lens and often associated with the aging process. Lutein and zeaxanthin are the only carotenoids found in the lens.

Both spinach and kale are rich in lutein. Broccoli corn.

This is a FANTASTIC link to foods with lutein http://www.luteininfo.com/whereraw

Sourced from marigold flowers and purified from marigold flower oleoresin, FloraGLO® Lutein is the world's leading patented, purified lutein.

What is lutein?

Lutein is an important natural antioxidant that helps maintain healthy eyes and skin as we age. Lutein is a carotenoid found naturally in egg yolks and in fruits and vegetables, particularly dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale. Carotenoids are compounds that provide color to plants and act as antioxidants. FloraGLO Lutein, the leading brand of purified lutein found in top supplement brands contains the exact same molecule as found in nature.

brewmaster15
12-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi Greg,
Very interesting info and ideas... Thanks for sharing! Have you used this yet on any "yellow" discus? I Often wondered about getting some "yellows" in and trying a summer squash skin, yellow day lilys ( these are edible), and yellow birch leaves... ( high in yellow pigments, though masked by chlorophyll) in combination with various white fishes for the protein.....Haven't tried it yet.....:)

-al

Greg Richardson
12-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Not yet Al. I've done many hours of research on the subject to prepare for the day I get them. I have seen visual evidence of what happens when people get lazy feeding them the wrong foods.

Yellow discus imo has to be something one wants to reap the full benefits from and does what is necessary to obtain them.

Years ago a guy by the name of Hung who lived out side of Seattle brought in a pair I saw in person. Both my Wife and I were stunned at their beauty. Never seen anything like it before including salt water fish.

At the time Hung was building new fish room in the garage and then he disappeared off the face of the earth. No one has been able to contact him.

I wanted to do follow up to see if the yellow stayed in that contrast.

When the time is right and I'm set up to go I have my eye on a few sources and will eventually obtain them.

I feel very confident of my research and doing it naturally will reap what I'm looking for.

brewmaster15
12-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I feel very confident of my research and doing it naturally will reap what excellent!!!thats what we need more of Greg!...When that day comes...It'll be great to watch how it works for you...

As for me...I have had the most canary yellow fish turn red mellon orange on red pigments... Natural predispositions are a tough thing to beat!...all the more reason for you to try!

Good luck,
al

darcy12877
12-29-2007, 06:44 PM
I'll just post the website I also put them on, lol it was much easyer putting it on there, here it is:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111221

darcy12877
12-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Also at the moment im feeding them blood worms, is this ok???

DiscusOnly
12-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Nice!

I got 2 of these for about a year now. I've been feeding them FBW only over the past year and they didn't lose much of the yellow (only peppering). Mine were slightly stunted when I got them so they didn't grow much since. I got them around 2.5" and fully colored (probobly some sort of coloring involved as they came from Asia).

They are about 4" at this point and don't seem to be growing much.

darcy12877
12-29-2007, 09:04 PM
mine has no peppering at all, why is this??? could urs be part pigeon blood???

kaceyo
12-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Darcy,
Both of the yellow fish shown, yours and vlam's, are pigeon blood strains. You can tell by the black in the fins, for one. I'm sure it's because Vlam feeds only FBW's that his has stayed yellow and not turned orange. If you continue feeding flakes I believe yours will turn orange in time. You can make your own Beef Heart mix that has no shellfish or color enhancers to keep yours yellow too. But don't feed processed fish foods as they all have color enhancers which add the red/orange pigment.
Good luck,

Kacey

darcy12877
12-30-2007, 01:58 AM
I dont feed flakes, i feed blood worms, so is this ok to keep the yellow from turning orange???

Greg Richardson
12-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Darcy. Yes. But I'd try to feed something else for a more balanced diet like my suggestion in other post. Problem with a fish recipe is not turning your fish red also depending on fish.