PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Salt?

angelover
12-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Can someone please tell me if it is okay to put aquarium salt in the tank with the discus. Thanks!:)

Don Trinko
12-29-2007, 05:12 PM
it's OK but not normaly done unless there is a reason. Don T.

Apistomaster
12-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Salt is best used in a QT tank for as brief a period as necessary. It is helpful in promoting healing of scrapes. Not for a planted tank.
I use one tsp/ gallon for about one week and only if it's necessary.

kaceyo
12-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Don't buy "Aquarium Salt", it's a waste of money. It's the same as any table salt or rock salt but 10 times the price. I use rock salt as there is never anything added (table salt can have anti-caking agents) and it's cheap.
As stated above, don't use it unless you have a specific medical reason.

Kacey

Graham
12-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Larry 1 teaspoon per gallon works out to be about 0.1% salinity...As you know this level is good for protecting the fish from NO2 readings but really nothing else.

Taking it up to 0.3% which is about 3 teaspoons per gallon will have some affects on parasites and bacteria.

Most plants will take the 0.1% level without any problem but the 0.3% will reek havoc on them

Angel, as has been mentioned do not use salt unless it's needed for some reason and any salt will do. Just watch that it doesn't have the anti-caking agent YPS in it

HNY

G

Apistomaster
12-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi Graham,
I may be using more salt than 1 tsp/gal. I use Mortons salt for recharging water softeners and it comes in compressed briquettes. I use one briquette/gal. They are quite dense and if ground to rock salt particle size they might be closer to 2 or 3 tsp/gal or 0.3% solution. I know that I get the desired results from the one briquette/gal dosage rate.

billeagan
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I use aquarium salt when brining in new fish/rearringing stuff to calm the fish down that's about it.

angelover
01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks so much for all the responses. Very useful information. :)

Darrell Ward
01-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Don't buy "Aquarium Salt", it's a waste of money. It's the same as any table salt or rock salt but 10 times the price. I use rock salt as there is never anything added (table salt can have anti-caking agents) and it's cheap.
As stated above, don't use it unless you have a specific medical reason.

Kacey

I bought some "Ice Cream Rock Salt" once, and it would not dissolve in water even when soaked for days! LOL!