PDA

View Full Version : Can Oxygen affect PH?

digthemlows
01-01-2008, 03:05 AM
I added an AquaClear over the back filter and 2 fish have stopped eating.............so I checked my PH and it's about 7.6/7.8 compared to 7.0/7.2 ..........it's always spiked by a few points when I do a water change, but never much..............so I'm curious if having the extra oxygen with the areation from the aquaclear could be upping the ph??

phidelt85
01-01-2008, 03:20 AM
What it's doing is aerating your water and driving off the carbon dioxide gases in your water. By doing so, you will see a rise in your pH. This is why some people age their water prior to performing water changes. If the pH of your tap water and the pH of your tank water differ by too much your fish can be adversely affected to the point that it could even kill them.

Take a reading of your tapwater right out of the tap and record that reading. Then, take a glass of tapwater and let it set for 24 hours. If you see a difference of more that .2, then it is recommended to age your change water prior to a WC.

digthemlows
01-01-2008, 04:22 AM
so will aerating your water raise PH even after it has aged? Because yes, out of the tap it is about 7.6 and I age it for 24hrs to 7.2 before I put it in (then the driftwood and plants keep it around 7.0......................should I disconnect the AQ filter?

phidelt85
01-01-2008, 05:43 AM
Are you adding something to your age water to drop the pH? I have driftwood and plants in my 125, and it does nothing to lower my pH. In fact, you should see a cycling of pH throughout the day and evening as plants use and expel CO2. Yes it will raise the pH if it hasn't completely reached an equilibrium after 24 hours. Do you use heavy aeration in your storage tank?

poconogal
01-01-2008, 11:06 AM
so will aerating your water raise PH even after it has aged? Because yes, out of the tap it is about 7.6 and I age it for 24hrs to 7.2 before I put it in (then the driftwood and plants keep it around 7.0......................should I disconnect the AQ filter?

Your PH can go up after aging with heavy aeration. What is your KH? Your driftwood is most likely lowering your PH further in your tank because your KH is low. To keep PH from dropping it should be a minimum of 3, but even with that, driftwood can lower your PH. It happens in my tank too, and my KH is 3 in the tank.

Just curious though, are you aging your water to lower your PH? Your tap PH of 7.6 is fine for your Discus. Many here keep their Discus in PH even higher. Since I'm on a private well, my PH changes seasonally. In winter it is usually up to about 8.2 out of the tap, in summer it is 7.6. I just let my tank PH go up and down along with the seasons. I use straight, unaged tap and do 50% WCs to keep the PH stable during the WC when the tap PH and tank PH are different.

digthemlows
01-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm just aging it to keep the tank from spiking with a water change.....I do a 20% change every other day without aging and do a 50% once a week and let it sit in buckets (otherwise my pH will jump from 7.1ish to 7.8 during the change) I unplugged the aquaclear filter and I'm going to see if it affects anything, otherwise I think I have two discus that are being picky for other reasons.....the only real change was adding the filter and I want to rule it out......these were two of my biggest eaters and now they're hiding in the corner.......this is live blackworms too, which they all always love!

digthemlows
01-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Just did a full test
PH = 7.5
GH = 6
KH = 3 (although it started to change at 2, so 2.5 might be more likely)
NO2 = <.3
Amonia = 0

Seems good to me.........

guille2007
01-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Are you adding something to your age water to drop the pH? I have driftwood and plants in my 125, and it does nothing to lower my pH. In fact, you should see a cycling of pH throughout the day and evening as plants use and expel CO2. Yes it will raise the pH if it hasn't completely reached an equilibrium after 24 hours. Do you use heavy aeration in your storage tank?

My water ph raises from 7.4 to 8.3 after just 4 hours of heavy aireation.

phidelt85
01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
My water ph raises from 7.4 to 8.3 after just 4 hours of heavy aireation.

I see the same thing in my 30gal "storage tank" I think it's a matter of the quantity of storage water you're trying to age.

guille2007
01-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I see the same thing in my 30gal "storage tank" I think it's a matter of the quantity of storage water you're trying to age.

Yes, it seems that way, my storage tank is likely yours, 35 gal, the speeding up that CO2 is out also depends of the strength of aireation.

phidelt85
01-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Yes, it seems that way, my storage tank is likely yours, 35 gal, the speeding up that CO2 is out also depends of the strength of aireation.
Exactamente, compadre!!

guille2007
01-02-2008, 02:08 AM
Exactamente, compadre!!

Oh que sorpresa que hablas espanol, eres de aqui tambien?, veo que te llamas Jose :)

phidelt85
01-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Oh que sorpresa que hablas espanol, eres de aqui tambien?, veo que te llamas Jose :)

No, yo vivo en los Estados pero mis padres son the Puerto Rico!! :D

guille2007
01-02-2008, 03:54 PM
No, yo vivo en los Estados pero mis padres son the Puerto Rico!! :D

Ok, encantado de conocerte, estamos en el mismo hobby, veo por tus post que tienes buenos conocimientos y experiencia con los discos :)

kaceyo
01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Huh?

phidelt85
01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Huh?

LOL!! sorry Kacey, it was just a bit of a sidebar discusssion. :D

kaceyo
01-02-2008, 06:01 PM
No Prob Jose. ;) Carry on.
I've been married so I'm used to not being able to understand a word someone is saying.

Kacey

guille2007
01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Ok Kacey :), here it is the translation :), Jose help me if any bug

Oh what a surprise you do speak spanish, are you also from here(Cuba)?, I see your name is Jose(spaniard name)

guille2007
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Kacey this another one :)

Ok, encantado de conocerte, estamos en el mismo hobby, veo por tus post que tienes buenos conocimientos y experiencia con los discos :)

Ok nice to meet you, we are in the same hobby, I see based on your posts that you have good knowledge and experience with discus

phidelt85
01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
......., I see based on your posts that you have good knowledge and experience with discus

:D :D :D He's such a nice guy!! Still learning for sure thanks to this great place

kaceyo
01-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I feel included now. :) But I was sure the word "aqui" had something to do with water. Shows what I know, lol.

Kacey

digthemlows
01-03-2008, 12:02 PM

I thought it was "Thanks for such a great post, I would like to send you 10 free discus" :):D:p but I guess I was wrong.......he he he