PDA

View Full Version : Quick cure and cloudy water??

phidelt85
01-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Ok, I decided to give my 125gal community tank a shot with some Quick Cure as I have 1BD that has been staying under one of the sponges and won't come out. I haven't seen him eat for quite some time. So, yesterday after a 50% WC I decided to treat with 8mL of Quick Cure. After only a couple of hours in treatment, I come out to find the little BD is out with the rest of the group. I noticed the color of the medication had dissipated but the water was a bit cloudy.

Today, I wake up to find the water clarity worse. The water was hazy, but the little BD was still out, so it had helped. I did another WC and retreated. Fed some FBW and the little guy is eating. However, my water is getting really hazy.

My setup: 125gal BB w/ driftwood and a potted sword.
3 H-IV sponge filters. Two on air and one on a PH.
Temp is about 88-90*F (I had elevated it after our power outage as the water had gotten a bit cold, as a preventative and haven't lowered it back).
I haven't checked NH3, NO2, or NO3. I usually don't on this tank since I haven't had any issues since setup in those regards.

I guess my question is: Has anyone ever had this issue with Quickcure and if so what could be the cause?

Ardan
01-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi,
The quick cure probably affected the biofilter and you have a bacterial bloom. (quick cure has formalin and malachite green)

Check ammonia and nitrite.
It may be 0 but you can still have a bacterial bloom in the water column.

Be careful with quick cure at high temps also as it can deplete the oxygen.

The bacterial bloom should clear in a few days with normal wc's and by stopping quick cure.

hth
Ardan

Kindredspirit
01-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I guess my question is: Has anyone ever had this issue with Quickcure and if so what could be the cause?

I have used Quick Cure a few times, Jose, I have never had this problem ~ not to say it can not happen....it has never affected my filter either ~ but is possible.

Jose, your temp is/was too high for using this med ~ needs to be 84-86. Quick Cure should not be used at high temps, Arden is correct as it depletes oxygen ~ add extra air.

Jose, how come you decided on QC?

Tropical Haven
01-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I think that it would have been better to place the fish into a seperate 10 or 20 gallon tank and treated it this way. It seems like a lot of water to treat for one fish.

phidelt85
01-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks, guys and gals for the replies!! The water is lookin' better and low and behold that little dude or dudette is out with the rest of the group front and center eatin'. I tried QC because I've hit this guy before with metro thinkin' he had hex to no avail. I wanted to try something that would hit a broader spectrum of parasites + I had it handy. It called out to me, "use me, use me" :D

Thanks for the tip on the temp and QC, I was unaware of that. I do have two air stones going in there. The rest of the fish don't seem to be affected by it and are eating just like normal. So, I gave two treatments, 24hrs apart. That should be enough correct? It seems to have worked.

Kindredspirit
01-01-2008, 03:07 PM
So, I gave two treatments, 24hrs apart. That should be enough correct? It seems to have worked.

Jose, what I do with Quick Cure is I hit them w/ 2 drops per gal, for three days consecutive ~ wc as usual, 50% per day, I add the med in the tank while water is filling up ~ I then rest for two days and repeat:)

Hope this helps ~

phidelt85
01-01-2008, 03:15 PM
10-4 good buddy!! :D That's what I'll do then.