PDA

View Full Version : Corys in the Discus tank

angelover
01-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I was thinking about moving my corys into my 75 gallon Discus tank. The thing is I'm not sure exactly what kind of corys they are. One is an albino and the other is maybe a peppered. I know there are some kind of corys that are comfortable at higher temps (I keep mine at 84 degrees) but I'm not sure if all types of corys can handle it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

poconogal
01-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi. That's true, not all cories can handle discus temps. I tried Pandas which lasted about 6 mos. I know others had the same experience with Pandas, but some had Pandas that did okay. I have a Jullii (spelling??) for almost 2 years and he's done well. My Discus tank is at 84. Sterbai I believe can handle the temps and I believe there are a few more. If you don't know what yours are, I guess you can try them but keep in mind that they may not fare well down the line.

guille2007
01-04-2008, 01:37 AM
Sometimes it is not temp what kill corys but they exploit eating as the same frecuency as discus do, I think that's the main conflict I have had with corys and discus, corys are low feeding fish.

White Worm
01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Sterbai do fine into the mid 80's no problems. I feed enough that passes by the discus and everyone gets enough food.

guille2007
01-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I can say that in case of paleatus and bronze ones, if they eat like young discus do(4-5 times a day) they will die sooner or later for sure.

pcsb23
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
These cory's will definitely be ok at discus temps, sterbai, gossei, seussei and adolphoi.

hth,

Darren's Discus
01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
In,
my tank's i have bronze,peppered and sterbai and have had no problem's with them most of them are now over 3 years old,I like my little bottom buddies !

cheers

Discus.Lover
01-04-2008, 11:45 PM
i have never had a problem with cories in with discus or the high temperatures at all...

guille2007
01-05-2008, 01:52 PM
A friend of mine who is an expert fish biologist told me when I asked him about rare corys death that they can die if get overfeeded since they don't stop eating if they see food and will be doing that till they get inflated and float at the surface dying after that. It happened me that way when I placed eight healthy corys with my juveniles eight discus since I feeded discus five times a day and corys ate the same food(mainly BHM) and at the same frecuency, corys started dying one by one always showing the same sympthoms that my friend described me later.

What I want to say with this is that no always corys death are related with high temp but overfeeding. So every time you see a cory floating at the surface and dying after that, it was for sure overfeeding the cause.

Dolphin Dip
01-05-2008, 07:18 PM
i've tried and had success with adolphi and sterbai.

phidelt85
01-06-2008, 03:10 AM
I have trilineatus and they seem to be fine even upto 90*F

yippy
01-06-2008, 08:20 AM
I love cory's. Never had a problem with them. I love the albinos. Theyre so cute. Only fish I ever had a few minor problems with discus were clown loaches. Just woulndt rest and went bonkers while the discus were tryring to sleep.:juggle:

JeffreyRichard
01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Sometimes it is not temp what kill corys but they exploit eating as the same frecuency as discus do, I think that's the main conflict I have had with corys and discus, corys are low feeding fish.

I suggest you may be feeding your discus too much ...

the more I keep & study fish & turtles, the more I'm becoming convinced that excessive feeding to promote rapid growth is not in the best long-term interest of the animal.

guille2007
01-12-2008, 02:18 AM
I suggest you may be feeding your discus too much ...

the more I keep & study fish & turtles, the more I'm becoming convinced that excessive feeding to promote rapid growth is not in the best long-term interest of the animal.

Maybe, although it was under frecuency of feeding recomendations for young discus, 4-5 times a day and about 15 min of food duration every time.

JeffreyRichard
01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Maybe, although it was under frecuency of feeding recomendations for young discus, 4-5 times a day and about 15 min of food duration every time.

Those that recommend this type of feeding are aiming for rapid growth ... the biggest fish in as short a period of time as possible. My feeling is that this may not be in the best interest of the fish ... my discus get feed once a day. They grow slow but seem to live long healthy lives. My goals are not to get big growth fast.

guille2007
01-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Those that recommend this type of feeding are aiming for rapid growth ... the biggest fish in as short a period of time as possible. My feeling is that this may not be in the best interest of the fish ... my discus get feed once a day. They grow slow but seem to live long healthy lives. My goals are not to get big growth fast.

You feed once a day even to young fish(less than one year old)?

Heiko Bleher
01-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and it is your (Simply discus) lucky day (because I make a few comments, and giving answers while it is sunday and we are photographing a lot of new species I collected last year... and I have a few minutes not working von my volume II... to finally come out this year...)

I noticed the Corydoras threats and must make to (very important) comments:
1. Corydoras NEVER live with discus in nature together - totally different biotopes/habitats. Thjerefore with wild discus I cannot recommend it.
2. Corydoras NEED fine substrate (except the mid-water swimming C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus and dome of the stony-living species from the barbatus-group from southeastern Brazil-Paragiay-Uruguay), that is fine white or beige sand. Corydoras evolved with their barbels which is in evolution adapeted to fine substrate (never gravel) and they always (need to) dig into such substrate.
Aything else you givem is WRONG and makes the Corydoras suffer all the time.

PLEASE remember that.

Always

Heiko

guille2007
01-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi Heiko, thanks for your time and courtesy

A question:

What is the proper way to feeding corys and what kind of food?

Terrybo
01-13-2008, 10:58 PM
What I want to say with this is that no always corys death are related with high temp but overfeeding.

This is interesting. I had panda cories spawn in my planted discus tank several years ago, which suggests that the higher temps were no problem. The fish in that tank were only fed once a day.

Baby panda cories are so cute!!!

Terry

guille2007
01-14-2008, 12:55 AM
I have more testimonials about, I had paleatus that starting dying one by one in discus tank remaining about six, then I went to vacation for week so no feeding that tank, when I came back the five cories were alive.

doc3toes
02-11-2008, 10:33 PM
i have fine sand substrate (silica) planted and had a problem with pandas, but other spp did pretty good.

Apistomaster
02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I raise many Corydoras and C. panda spawn and do best when kept around 22*C/72*F, breeding @ 24*C/75*F, ime. They usually have very short lives @ above 26.5*C/80*F.
Most unusual for them to breed at Discus temps.

There are some that fair well enough at Discus temps and to those already listed, I would add C.duplicareous.
I usually just keep some of the small carnivorous dwarf plecos like Hypancistrus zebra, L333, L66, L260 and Peckoltia sp L134 with my discus. They are as biotopically incorrect as Corydoras but they require the warmer water. They happen to eat the same foods I feed Discus and can access that food in places a discus can't.