PDA

View Full Version : How Many in a 55gal?

aquagal
01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I wanted to get some advice on how many discus I should keep in a 55 gal. I have heard many different answers to this question. I currently have 6 juvenilles in a 55 gal w/ nothing else. I know 6 discus is considered a good number to start with but wonder whether I will need to move some out as they approach adulthood.

My plan is to keep the tank "discus only" with the exception of a couple of BN. Also, is it a given that they will eventually pair off? Sounds like when a pair is formed they become more aggressive towards the others? Do pairs have to be moved out because they become aggressive?

Thanks!

poconogal
01-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi. In a 55 gal. 6 Discus is perfect. They may pair off, but there's no guarantee. If you end up with a pair that spawns, yes they will become aggressive to any other fish that enters their territory. If you are lucky, they will spawn on one end of the tank thereby leaving the other end for your other Discus. :D That's what mine do in my 75.

GrillMaster
01-04-2008, 08:23 PM
That is a great number for your 55G! If you wind up with a pair, just put a divider in the tank. Make sure it is lower than the water level so the circulation remains. Lil less than half for the pair an the rest for the other Discus. :)

tc
Mark

Dying for Discus
01-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I had 6 in my 55 gallon. I did a 50% water change at least every other day, sometimes everyday. Especially if you feed a lot of beefheart. If you do anything less than that you run into water issues, and then, fish issues. :)

aqua
01-08-2008, 02:23 PM
You should be fine with 6 discus in a 55G even when they grow to adulthood. I have a friend (you would not believe it) who has 21 discus in a 45G custom made tank and the smallest discus is 4in. He does a 75% WC everyday. I used to have 24 adults in a 125G and do 75% WC every 2 or 3 days with just two HOB filter (AquaClear 500 and a Penquin). The main point is keep your water clean and clear and keep up with the water change.

White Worm
01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi. In a 55 gal. 6 Discus is perfect. They may pair off, but there's no guarantee. If you end up with a pair that spawns, yes they will become aggressive to any other fish that enters their territory. If you are lucky, they will spawn on one end of the tank thereby leaving the other end for your other Discus. :D That's what mine do in my 75.
Me too! :D Every 8 days or so, I have a turq pair that lay their eggs on a pot and everyone else stays at the other end, lol.

You should be fine with 6 discus in a 55G even when they grow to adulthood. I have a friend (you would not believe it) who has 21 discus in a 45G custom made tank and the smallest discus is 4in. He does a 75% WC everyday. I used to have 24 adults in a 125G and do 75% WC every 2 or 3 days with just two HOB filter (AquaClear 500 and a Penquin). The main point is keep your water clean and clear and keep up with the water change.

Anyone can overload their tank and not even have filters if they are doing huge daily w/c's. I believe some large breeders have their water constantly turning over or they are doing 2-3 100% w/c's daily.

Lee C
01-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Personally, I would start with eight or Ten 3-4 inchers and narrow it down to 5 after a couple months. That's after you have selected the best discus for breeding(size,shape, color, good eaters)
Ten gallons per fish rule, and usually a 50-55 gallon tank only has about 45 gallons of H2O.
Discus tend to eat more with intense competition and will grow faster... as long as you keep the water clean and aerated.
You will have more success breeding with multiple tanks.:):)

GrillMaster
01-08-2008, 10:33 PM
I actually did what Lee did. I started off with 10 small ones in a 55g and after a couple a months I culled (sold) four of them. Lots of food, and lots of WC's, they turned out quite nice.

tc
Mark