PDA

View Full Version : spawning cycle

asim amjad
01-09-2008, 02:57 AM
hi all, i dont believe it my discus have spawned already and i've only had them for 2-3 months. they are just 4.5'' or so.

sadly i have them in a planted comunity tank with tetras gouramis and loaches (clown and 2yoyos). the parents didn't stand a chance in front of the yoyos who wiped the eggs off with in afew minutes. i need to be better prepared for the next spawning i was thinking of moving out the loaches before the next spawning.
so here are my questions:

1- they spawned 2 days ago, the 7th Jan. when will they spawn again?

2- should i just move the pair or should i move out the rest of the fish? do neons pose a threat to eggs? they seem very dosile.

3- can the parents be moved once the eggs are laid? and can the eggs be moved? if yes what is the best way to do so.

thanks

asim

tgirl6868
01-09-2008, 09:27 AM
right now i have two females and one male and they lay eggs every week taking turns. from reading threads on the forum i've seen some need more time. there are more
experienced people on this forum that will help you.

asim amjad
01-10-2008, 09:36 AM
awesome ! i didnt know one male can be with two females. do u have them in a seperate tank?

Tropical Haven
01-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Every breeding pait is different when it comes to spawning, they could lay eggs every 5 to 7 days if not parenting or they could lay every 2 weeks. This all depends on the breeding pair, but the first thing I would do is place the breeding pair in their own tank with no other fish if you plan on having any babies from them at all. Breeding discus do not like other fish in the tank when they are spawning.

Muzammil
01-10-2008, 10:06 AM
hi all, i dont believe it my discus have spawned already and i've only had them for 2-3 months. they are just 4.5'' or so.

sadly i have them in a planted comunity tank with tetras gouramis and loaches (clown and 2yoyos). the parents didn't stand a chance in front of the yoyos who wiped the eggs off with in afew minutes. i need to be better prepared for the next spawning i was thinking of moving out the loaches before the next spawning.
so here are my questions:

1- they spawned 2 days ago, the 7th Jan. when will they spawn again?

2- should i just move the pair or should i move out the rest of the fish? do neons pose a threat to eggs? they seem very dosile.

3- can the parents be moved once the eggs are laid? and can the eggs be moved? if yes what is the best way to do so.

thanks

asim

Hi there,

I am also from Karachi:)

Well, I am not a very experience breeder but can give you some opinions from my exp. and knowledge.

1-There is no hard and fast rule for spawning cycle. It depends on the age, size, feeding, water quality, etc. It also depends on whether the pair was being used for spawning earlier or not.
Some discus lay eggs within a week, some takes two weeks, and if older then may be 3 weeks. IMO

2-I would suggest to remove all other fishes, and not to disturb the pair. Let them try for a few more times then move them to BB Breeding tank of their own. I have no idea about neons in breeding tank?

3-Why do you want to remove eggs or parents?:antlers: Parents can take care of the babies.

Hth

Good luck
Muzammil

tgirl6868
01-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm a newbe when it comes to breeding I just really started. i have 2 females and 1 male that are at least at the age to lay eggs and fertilize they take turns it seems like. one week one will lay eggs then the other and the male would do his stuff. so i took the male and female and put them in there own privet spot. just today i had eggs but for the first time the male didnt do what he was suppose to, he eat them. my son and i was sooo Disappointed. but i told him they have to grow up. he is 10 and he loves the king of the tank (Discus)

asim amjad
01-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Hi there,

I am also from Karachi:)

Well, I am not a very experience breeder but can give you some opinions from my exp. and knowledge.

1-There is no hard and fast rule for spawning cycle. It depends on the age, size, feeding, water quality, etc. It also depends on whether the pair was being used for spawning earlier or not.
Some discus lay eggs within a week, some takes two weeks, and if older then may be 3 weeks. IMO

2-I would suggest to remove all other fishes, and not to disturb the pair. Let them try for a few more times then move them to BB Breeding tank of their own. I have no idea about neons in breeding tank?

3-Why do you want to remove eggs or parents?:antlers: Parents can take care of the babies.

Hth

Good luck
Muzammil

hi muzammil

great to hear from you! i'm glad to know that another karachi person is here ! :) so tell me have you had any luck with spawning and breeding? and what do u feed them?

about moving all the fish, i have a 100 gal tank !! with close to 50 fish in it! i was thinking of waiting untill the fish spawn and then move them and the eggs to another tank.

what fish do you have and where do you buy them from? and not to forget how much?

asim amjad
01-11-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm a newbe when it comes to breeding I just really started. i have 2 females and 1 male that are at least at the age to lay eggs and fertilize they take turns it seems like. one week one will lay eggs then the other and the male would do his stuff. so i took the male and female and put them in there own privet spot. just today i had eggs but for the first time the male didnt do what he was suppose to, he eat them. my son and i was sooo Disappointed. but i told him they have to grow up. he is 10 and he loves the king of the tank (Discus)

aww thats really sad to hear ! better luck next time!! :) how many fish do u have in all? are the 3 fish seperated?

tgirl6868
01-11-2008, 09:31 AM
aww thats really sad to hear ! better luck next time!! :) how many fish do u have in all? are the 3 fish seperated?

Asim,

i have 12 fish ranging in different ages. ive had discus for 11 yrs really not trying to breed them but to enjoy them. i've had many pairs but just wasnt ready to try the separation thing and setting up breeding tank. i am now ready but starting out in a different way then the people on this web sight. i have a 90gl tank and i made a divider in my tank and i put the male ls and the female ss together. ive had them in there own space since tues. of this week. and like i said she laid eggs. the reason i think the male eat them was because he didnt like were she laid them, on the side of the tank. she was all over the tank last night cleaning in different spots and the male kept on yelling at her. he was not happy. i will keep them together so they can try again. once i have babies i will set up a tank to move them the babies.

Tamara

tgirl6868
01-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Asim,
you can check out my pairs i have at
im my thread in breeding the title is look what i got for x-mass

the divider you see there is not what i have now its better. once i have more eggs and there not being eaten i will share. thats the thing i like about this we sight. you can share and experience things and people are very helpful.

Muzammil
01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
about moving all the fish, i have a 100 gal tank !! with close to 50 fish in it! i was thinking of waiting untill the fish spawn and then move them and the eggs to another tank.

In this case you can move them to their own bare bottom breeding tank.:)

Good luck

Muzammil

Muzammil
01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
what fish do you have and where do you buy them from? and not to forget how much?

Well, I have Malaysian bred discus bought from Murshid Aquarium.:)

Muzammil

asim amjad
01-11-2008, 10:34 AM
'where is that saddar? how much did u pay for them ? how many do u have? i have 2 red turqs and 2 melons

asim amjad
01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Asim,
you can check out my pairs i have at
im my thread in breeding the title is look what i got for x-mass

the divider you see there is not what i have now its better. once i have more eggs and there not being eaten i will share. thats the thing i like about this we sight. you can share and experience things and people are very helpful.

wow tamara !!! U HAVE SOME SERIOUSLY BEAUTIFUL FISH !!

and my god!! the heckle is awesome :) heckles are my favorites but sadly its not easy to find heckles to buy. i have been searching shops since the last 2 months for a pair and no luck. hardly anyone keeps discus in pakistan. angels and carps are very popular though along with flower horns and other cichlids.

i noticed u had pigeon bloods which others? do u have anyother breed of fish in the same tank? i love your idea of seperation within the same tank. i would hate to move my favorite two fish out of their big home.

you are so right about this site ! if it wasn't for this site, my fish would have been long gone lol. have u read my previous threads ? hahahha

i saw where your fish laid eggs as well and i think u must be right about incongenial laying area. why dont u get the clay pot for them to lay eggs on or slate. mine laid on a vertical smoothe rock.

i'll put some pics here of where they laid for u to see.

Muzammil
01-12-2008, 01:52 AM
'where is that saddar? how much did u pay for them ? how many do u have? i have 2 red turqs and 2 melons

That's not at saddar.
Well, I have only one breeding pair of Blue Pigeons, which is about 3 years old and laying eggs from last two years. I am having them when they were about 3 months old. Unfortunately, I don't have a proper breeding setup though I am planning for it, but that may take a few months. Till then, I am just learning, learning and learning, and trying different methods for my future plan.:)(I have also bought some juvenile discus for my future plan)

About the prices, I am sending u a PM, just check it!:D

Muzammil

tgirl6868
01-12-2008, 11:27 PM
first of all i CAN'T DO THIS QUOT STUFF! im trying though. i just cant do it!

quote=asim amjad;433233]wow tamara !!! U HAVE SOME SERIOUSLY BEAUTIFUL FISH !!

Thanks Asim but I've seen better!

and my god!! the heckle is awesome :) heckles are my favorites but sadly its not easy to find heckles to buy.

this is my first heckle and i like him/her and you know for the smallest one in the tank he stands up for him self.

hardly anyone keeps discus in pakistan. angels and carps are very popular though along with flower horns and other cichlids.

man thats stinks, guess you have to be the man over there.

i noticed u had pigeon bloods which others? do u have anyother breed of fish in the same tank?

when i first got into them i had angel fish, rams and a rope fish. discus are very intrigued with other Species where they come from there not alone.

i love your idea of seperation within the same tank. i would hate to move my favorite two fish out of their big home.

this is something i am trying out. not what every one would agree with on this sight but i an trying something new and if it works out the babies once they get old enough to be by there own i would move them then.

i saw where your fish laid eggs as well and i think u must be right about incongenial laying area. why dont u get the clay pot for them to lay eggs on or slate. mine laid on a vertical smoothe rock.

i have a slate for them to lay eggs on but i didnt want to use it. i wanted them to use what was there for them to use. he was pushing her around today. i think he is ready for more.

..i'll put some pics here of where they laid for u to see.

i would like to see what you have
[/quote]

asim amjad
01-18-2008, 01:24 AM
hi tgirl sorry for the really late reply i was travelling so didnt get a chance to reply earlier. have u had any luck with them so far?

i have finnnaaalllyy gotten my hands on another pair of red tuqs and guess what when i got back home my pair gave me another surprise!! :) they laid eggs again!! :) this time it was on a leaf. they have kept them safe so far, but i dont think they will succeed hahah because my krebensis pair are litterally stalking the eggs. it quite funny to see how they are fixated on the eggs.
have you had luck with your net division idea so far?
sorry for not putting up the pictures yet. i'll do it very soon.