PDA

View Full Version : Experts please help cloudy eye or fungus around the eye.

thang45
01-09-2008, 11:44 PM
I just noticed that my one of my breeding pair has cloudy eye or fungus around the eye. What is that, is that bacteria?

Currently there are roughly 40 fry in the tank and they are about 8 days old.

What med can I treat them with? bifuran, furan2 or Maracyn-Two or other?

What should I do with the fry? Leave them with the parents for another week and then treat them out or them out now and treat the parents.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thang

Elite Aquaria
01-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Thang,

Do both parents have the cloudy eye? It looks like a bacteria...If only one parnent has the problem, take out the parent with the cloudy eye and treat with Maracyn 2 as soon as possible.

krandrus
01-10-2008, 12:19 AM
If that was one of my fish I would add salt to the tank and watch it carefully for a few days. However I have no idea if this has any negative effects on the fry.

Graham
01-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I don't know if I would do anything at the moment. It doesn't look that serious, there doesn't look to be any reddness or inflammation. Maintain the water and give it a day

Elite Aquaria
01-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Graham,

I had a breeder start out like that and the next day the entire eye was cloudy....I did nothing for 4-5 days and the eye is now blind...:( That is why I recommended to not even take a chance with a breeder. But you are right it is not that bad yet...I am just a little gun shy after that episode...

tonymaccs
01-10-2008, 01:22 AM
I just noticed that my one of my breeding pair has cloudy eye or fungus around the eye.
Thang

Hi Thang, Is it just the one eye shown in the pic you are concerned about? The pic is a little grainy so you might clarify if you are referring to the slight cloudiness near the centre of the eye in the cornea, or the whiteness in the front sector of the membrane that circles the eye.
If it is the whiteness in the membrane then take a much closer look at the fish from the front and top if you can and see if you can distingush any difference between the size, protrusion etc of each eye.
I too recently lost a female breeder as a result of an eye infection which started out just like what I am seeing in the pic and it progressed very rapidly (within days).
I dont want to unnecessarily alarm you as it may just disappear, but I wouldn't advocate a wait and see approach.

Tony

Darren's Discus
01-10-2008, 01:32 AM
I'm with Tony on this if the eye is protruding,you need to treat it asap with a good anti biotic !

cheers

thang45
01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Thang,

Do both parents have the cloudy eye? It looks like a bacteria...If only one parnent has the problem, take out the parent with the cloudy eye and treat with Maracyn 2 as soon as possible.

Hi Dan,

Both has the slightly cloudy eye covered in the middle, but only has the fungus covered half of the eye around the edge of the eye. I was thinking to treat them with Maracyn 2 but don’t know what to do with the fry.

If that was one of my fish I would add salt to the tank and watch it carefully for a few days. However I have no idea if this has any negative effects on the fry.

Hi krandrus,

I tried salts on many occasions but it never helps.

I don't know if I would do anything at the moment. It doesn't look that serious, there doesn't look to be any reddness or inflammation. Maintain the water and give it a day

Hi Graham,

I was afraid that it may get serious if I don’t do anything. I would love to leave the fry in for another week and then treat them both with med.

Hi Thang, Is it just the one eye shown in the pic you are concerned about? The pic is a little grainy so you might clarify if you are referring to the slight cloudiness near the centre of the eye in the cornea, or the whiteness in the front sector of the membrane that circles the eye.
If it is the whiteness in the membrane then take a much closer look at the fish from the front and top if you can and see if you can distingush any difference between the size, protrusion etc of each eye.
I too recently lost a female breeder as a result of an eye infection which started out just like what I am seeing in the pic and it progressed very rapidly (within days).
I dont want to unnecessarily alarm you as it may just disappear, but I wouldn't advocate a wait and see approach.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I guess it is better to be safe then sorry huh.

Sorry about the grainy picture as I just given them bbs that is how I noticed the eye infection.

The slight cloudiness near the centre of the eye in the cornea is not what I’m worrying about but it is the whiteness in the front sector of the membrane that circles the eye that what scaring me.

What med do you think I should go with?

I'm with Tony on this if the eye is protruding,you need to treat it asap with a good anti biotic !
cheers

Hi Darren,

I’m going to Big Als today to pick up some med, do you know any good med to recommend.

P.S are you related to Shireen Burgess by any chance?

thang45
01-10-2008, 10:27 AM
To clarify I’m more worry about this.

thang45
01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
This has always been there since I got them. I ordered some bifuran and was hoping this med would clear the cloudy eye.

Tropical Haven
01-10-2008, 01:44 PM
If your fry is at least 5 days old then I would seperate them from the parents and feed them live BBS. With breeders I don't like waiting longer than I have to. Start treating them as quickly as possible to prevent further problems.

thang45
01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
If your fry is at least 5 days old then I would seperate them from the parents and feed them live BBS. With breeders I don't like waiting longer than I have to. Start treating them as quickly as possible to prevent further problems.

Can I treat the fry and parents at the same time?

Or is it safe to take the sick one out and then treat only that one and let the other parent take care of the fry?

thang45
01-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Yesterday I went to BigAls and I spoke one of the associates and told him about my situation. I ask him can Maracyn 2 cure cloudy eye or fungus around the eye. He then asks me why the eye gets infected. Was it because of a wound infection? I pause for a bit and think about it carefully and yes I think he got infected because of fighting with the female or fry eating the slime too close to his eyes.

Then he said then Maracyn 2 is not the right med to use. It is fungus and not bacterial.

What do you guys think of his analysis? I thought it made a lot of sense. I do see the fry picking around eyes and I do see them go head to head. If what he say is true, then I don’t have to use Maracyn 2 right? If yes, then what med is good for fungus?

Graham
01-11-2008, 04:55 PM
It's hard to say which it might be, but Columnaris bacteria has a tendancy to form on clumps....Saprolegnia, a type of fungus is an opertunistic invader of wounds and has a spreading like appearance...you can use Malachite Green for it

thang45
01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
It's hard to say which it might be, but Columnaris bacteria has a tendancy to form on clumps....Saprolegnia, a type of fungus is an opertunistic invader of wounds and has a spreading like appearance...you can use Malachite Green for it

Will quick cure do?

Graham
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
It should...just crank up the air

thang45
01-11-2008, 05:29 PM
It should...just crank up the air

OK thank you.

Darren's Discus
01-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Darren,

I’m going to Big Als today to pick up some med, do you know any good med to recommend.

P.S are you related to Shireen Burgess by any chance?

No relation(is she hot ?):D
cheers

thang45
01-12-2008, 01:29 AM
No relation(is she hot ?):D
cheers

:D:D:D:D

She is my co-worker. If I say no and she saw this thread, then she would kill me.:D:D:D