PDA

View Full Version : black skirt tetra

angelover
01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I have one that is over 5 years old and I want to move him into my Discus tank but I am concerned that the high temp. will be uncomfortable or harmful to him. any advice? thanks!

Discus.Lover
01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
i have 6 blackskirt tetras in with my discus...never had the problem..even when the tank was kept at 90...even with other tetras i have in there (black neon tetra, harlequin rasbora, cardinal and the black skirts) have never had a problem with the high temperature...but that does not mean that they wont be stressed...the would probably be stressed for a while (if it was as high as 90) but then get used to it...but i still wouldnt suggest keeping it at a temperature of 90...

ShinShin
01-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Black Skirts are terrible tankmates for discus. In the long run, the temps are way too high for them. 72-74F is more to their liking. They also perfer very different water parameters besides temp.They are fin nippers as well.

Mat

Discus.Lover
01-10-2008, 11:27 PM
ive never had a problem with nipping my discus...and never had a problem with them at all...i also disagree to the fact that they would not do well above 74...i have them in one of my discus tank...at a temp at 84...wich i used to keep at 90...well i guess everyone has an opinion..but im telling you from my experience..and i work at a petstore and have lots of knowledge about tetras and other types of fish as i have lots of tanks running in my home...black skirts will mostly only nip at fish like guppies male bettas, and a few more small fish with long flowy flashy fins...

just really surprises me becuase i have had black skirts for over 3 years now...and no problem what so ever with them with discus...sure they may like cooler temperatures...but doesnt mean that they will only be happy and live longer in cooler temperatures...the 6 i have in with my discus have been living since the day i bought them....about 1 and a half years....and had 7 but one died becuase it had jumped out of the tank....

ive also have kept them with angels and no problem at all...meybe if kept with really small angels till the point where the tetra is bigger than the angel..maybe then they will nip but nope..no nipping..and never had a problem witjh water perameter...they are really happy in a ph of 6.0 with my discus..and a community tank at a ph of 7.0-7.2

sorry for the long post..but just wanted to say that i have really good experience with these tetras...

ShinShin
01-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Why do people set me up like this???

pcsb23
01-11-2008, 12:28 PM
When I had black skirts they did not do well much above 26C (79f). I'm with Larry on the fin nipping too!

Discus.Lover
01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
ok? i really dont care at all that you guys dont beleive me and disagree with me..all that matters is my fish are doing well, happy, healthy..with no probalems whatsoever...i guess its a big lie to you guys that they are living excellent in my tank and that somehow they could have been on a spell or something..like they say with most fish...this doesnt like high temps, or this ph, and this and that...ive kept livebearers in acidic water..livebearers in high tempoerature...tetras and a big range of temps...but still i bet you guys will just disagree with me..right?

pcsb23
01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
ok? i really dont care at all that you guys dont beleive me and disagree with me..all that matters is my fish are doing well, happy, healthy..with no probalems whatsoever...i guess its a big lie to you guys that they are living excellent in my tank and that somehow they could have been on a spell or something..like they say with most fish...this doesnt like high temps, or this ph, and this and that...ive kept livebearers in acidic water..livebearers in high tempoerature...tetras and a big range of temps...but still i bet you guys will just disagree with me..right?

Discus.Lover, I am glad your fish are doing well.

No-one here has called you a liar so may I respectfully suggest you calm down a bit. Forums are here for people to give of their experience, that is all I did. You gave your experience with these fish and it is different to mine. That's good, it is what makes fishkeeping interesting.

C_of_Discus
01-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Discus Lover

I think you are telling us the truth from your experience. But usually they do nip fin's and the are pretty aggressive and they get big.

I find that sometimes it depends on when you put fish together and if they grow up together. Also it depends on the individual fish like Discus you can have different temperaments and some are fine and you get the odd Rebel with out a cause trying to pick on anyone and anything.

Fish have personalties all there own and a social structure and a species structure. if they didn't they wouldn't be so much fun.:D

Discus.Lover
01-11-2008, 06:32 PM
sorry guys..i really am not trying to be rude but im just in a really bad mood today and i had to kind of let it out...apolagies..sorry..but what i am trying to say is that yes! they are nippers...but have never nipped at my discus or angels...maybe becuase i got them young and have some company by having eachother that they dont get bored and try to nip at other fish...

P.s..sorry again..and sorry for putting you on the spot Larry..i hope you can accept my apoligy..this wont happen again..

2sybs
01-31-2008, 05:35 AM
I have to agree with Discus Lover,
I have 5 black Skirts in with my Discus with no problems at all.
While they will chase each other they stay clear of the Discus.
Ray

ShinShin
01-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Here's the problem with this section. It started out a a section for species compatability. Now, it like someone wants to keep a fish species with their discus, and they are going to no matter what. So, why bother to ask.

Fish compatability has to do with the fish, not what the owner desires. One needs to simply find out where the fish comes from and what are the water parameters of this location. Now, what are the parameters of the discus habitat? Do they match? If not, guess what...

What about temperment? Another question after water compatibility. Is the species peaceful?

Black tetras come from a different locality with harder water, more alkaline pH, and much cooler temperature. They are very active and disruptive for a discus' temperment. It is not a good match.

If you want to force this combination, go ahead, force it. If you want a more natural aquarium set up, try another species, but don't get all jerked out of shape when someone tells you what you want is not best for either species.

Mat

White Worm
01-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Cardinal tetra
Black Darter Tetra
Silver-Tipped tetra
Hatchetfish
Rummy-Nose tetra
Lemon Tetra
Diamond Tetra
Emperor tetra
Pencilfish
Whiptail Catfish
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Glowlight tetras

are some that may make good tankmates and even then, some arent great with temps into the high 80's to 90's. I cooked a whole batch of glow-lights at 88.

These are some that can be difficult when kept with discus.

Black Tetra (Black Skirt Tetra) - fin nippers
Lamp Eye Tetra
Neon Tetra (prefer cooler temps)

Discus.Lover
02-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I have to agree with Discus Lover,
I have 5 black Skirts in with my Discus with no problems at all.
While they will chase each other they stay clear of the Discus.
Ray

haha...finally someone agrees with me:o:p

Discus.Lover
02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Here's the problem with this section. It started out a a section for species compatability. Now, it like someone wants to keep a fish species with their discus, and they are going to no matter what. So, why bother to ask.

Fish compatability has to do with the fish, not what the owner desires. One needs to simply find out where the fish comes from and what are the water parameters of this location. Now, what are the parameters of the discus habitat? Do they match? If not, guess what...

What about temperment? Another question after water compatibility. Is the species peaceful?

Black tetras come from a different locality with harder water, more alkaline pH, and much cooler temperature. They are very active and disruptive for a discus' temperment. It is not a good match.

If you want to force this combination, go ahead, force it. If you want a more natural aquarium set up, try another species, but don't get all jerked out of shape when someone tells you what you want is not best for either species.

Mat

Well im not the only one that has had great success with this combo..not everyone is looking for the most natural tank out there..you could still have 5 in a 125 planted and still look so beautiful and as natural as not having these guys in there

Apistomaster
02-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Cardinal tetra
Black Darter Tetra
Silver-Tipped tetra
Hatchetfish
Rummy-Nose tetra
Lemon Tetra
Diamond Tetra
Emperor tetra
Pencilfish
Whiptail Catfish
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Glowlight tetras

are some that may make good tankmates and even then, some arent great with temps into the high 80's to 90's. I cooked a whole batch of glow-lights at 88.

These are some that can be difficult when kept with discus.

Black Tetra (Black Skirt Tetra) - fin nippers
Lamp Eye Tetra
Neon Tetra (prefer cooler temps)

I agree with this list of tetras but have to add one more I find good in planted Discus tanks: Black Phantoms, especially 12 or more.
No Red phantoms; temps too high. Whiptails? That depends on the species. Royal whiptails do well in warm water but I have had adult sized specimens attack Heckels badly. I breed these Whiptails and the young specimens are discus safe. Many Rhinoloricaria, the flat types, tend to do better at a lower temp than discus.
Black Tetras generally are best not added to such warm water, not with long fins and they get too dull as they mature. most Tetras just get more showy with maturity.

As it has been pointed out already, folks will do as they please, without regard for the different needs of species.

ShinShin
02-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Discuslover,

It's not about a more "natural" appearing aquarium, although I like that in a community tank, but about what is best for the fish being kept there. Personally, I don't see the difference in force keeping a fish like a Black Skirt or any other species, requiring water from the high 60's-low 70'sF in a discus tank at the mid 80's, than trying to keep a discus or any other fish requiring mid 80'sF in a community tank kept at 68-73F.

But like I said, people are going to keep whatever they want together. They just post it here to find validation.

Mat

Discus.Lover
03-17-2008, 04:06 PM
And im not trying to mean anything bad..but just saying that mine have been happy in my tank..and apisto master..mine arent the long fin and mine are doing just fine..well actually doing alot better then just fine..

1boatnut
04-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I used to keep 6 Black Skirts and 2 Serpes in with my Discus in a 55 gal tank.I only had a problem once when one of the BlackSkirts started nipping a NEWLY added Discus. It never bothered any of the Discus that were already in the tank.I then moved all my Discus in to a 125 gal,and put in a small school of Rasboras and Cory Cats. Everybody seems happy.:)
I do think the Black Skirts do enjoy the lower water temp now. I used to keep that tank at 83 degrees,now it is at 75 and the Discus tank is at 86..