PDA

View Full Version : Do you like FISHING!

Pages : [1] 2 3

two utes
01-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I notice a few of you out there with pictures of fish. No, not discus or aquarium fish, but fish you have caught on rod and real.
Me, l am a mad keen fisherman who enjoys all types of fishing. But, my favorite is Game Fishing, in particular Marlin.:D
Now... l do keep that occassional fish for a feed for my family, but, I do release most of the fish l catch.
Nothing thrills me more than seeing my kids having a great time out fishing, then releasing their catch in good condition. My youngest son Mathew really loves the sport, and hopes to come Marlin fishing with me to catch & release his first Striped or Black Marlin this year.
We are very luck here in Australia to have a large diversity of fish, and l would like to use this thread to share some of the species l have caught with you.

And I really hope that you could do the same.:)

'Tight Lines' :thumbsup:

1. My son with a nice Young snapper we call Pinkie.
2. A larger snapper caught localy out of the bay.Port Phillip Bay. Victoria
3. Baramundi caught up north in Cape York Queensland.
4. Giant Trevelly, Cairns Quuensland. These grow much larger than this.
5. Striped Marlin, approx' 70kg. Tag and released from Bermagui. N.S.W.

renae
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Very impressive Joe..those fish are huge especially the first one your son is holding.

two utes
01-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks Renea. As you can imagine he was Stoked. He caught a bigger one than his dad that day, and he did't let me forget it either.
Do you do any fishing up your way on the Murray River?

renae
01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
The only fish I've ever caught in the Murray is carp :p
but I did catch a fish in Melb many yrs ago..we hired a little boat and went out a bit...actually went out way too far,I kept looking down into the water and imagined I was seeing sharks below..I made my freinds take me back but I couldn't recall what it was that I caught it was only a little minnow compared too what your used to..LOL.

two utes
01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
...actually went out way too far,I kept looking down into the water and imagined I was seeing sharks below..I made my freinds take me back but I couldn't recall what it was that I caught it was only a little minnow compared too what your used to..LOL.

Sharks are great! They are our friends.:)

phidelt85
01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Great catches, Joe!! I do fish occassionally. I don't get out as much as my father does. He's the avid fisherman of the family, and I hope one day sooner than later, I'll be able to take him on an offshore trip.

two utes
01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey there Jose. Off shore fishing is the best IMO. Lots of people go out and just see the ocean. There is so much nature out there to see. The last time l went off shore marlin fishing from cairns, we spotted a large whale shark and went in for a swim with her. To our amazement there where heaps of big eye tuna swimming underneath.
We were in 2000 metres of cobolt blue water. WHAT A BUZZ!!:D:D

phidelt85
01-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Those shots are just to cool. I guess I've always been a fan of ocean life; sucks to be land-locked.

renae
01-10-2008, 07:32 PM
OMG that is awesome..I would be too scared to do that but I do love ocean life..what else have you been swimming with?

majik
01-10-2008, 07:54 PM
hi there
i used to be a commercial fisher i loved the job and especially tuna fishing but after years i started to see a differnt side of it ,loved sleeping on deck and just listening to the whales spurting amasing experience im not the biggest greenie but now have my reserves about comercial fishing but do still enjoy pleasure fishing occasianlly if any of you can track it down i read a book called sounding by hank earls totally made me re evaluate our oceans but now im content with my discus :)

greyhoundfan
01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Well..nothing big but..here's a few fish I caught from shore..

Sargo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/sargo.jpg

Calico Bass
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/surfplaid.jpg

My son's first Yellow Fin Croaker
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/yfc2.jpg

My son's Sandbass
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/sandbass1.jpg

Fish Fight pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/Bendo.jpg

Dorado
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/Medodo.jpg

YellowTail
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/MeandYT.jpg

Albacore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/meANdalbie.jpg

Spotfincroaker
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/myspotpost.jpg

My fishfight
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/IMG_6261.jpg

Darren's Discus
01-10-2008, 08:46 PM
I'll stick to fish in tank's,But those are some impressive fish Joe and Reid,thank's for sharing.( can i have chips with them ?)

cheers

two utes
01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
OMG that is awesome..I would be too scared to do that but I do love ocean life..what else have you been swimming with?

The best snorkleing I have done is on the Great Barrier Reef, while in Cairns Marlin Fishing, but l hear that there are some really nice places to snorkel in Western Australia. One day l will get there.
Since l have an underwater camera l sometimes get usked to jump in with a catch. Sometimes though when l do this l observer sharks coming up for an easy meal....that's when l get out quick.

two utes
01-11-2008, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=greyhoundfan;433069]Well..nothing big but..here's a few fish I caught from shore..

Hey Reid...That's some nice fish you caught there mate. Size does not matter!!! it's the thrill of the catch, espacially when you have young kids in on the action. I just love to see that. Well done!!!
I like that Yellow Tail King fish you caugth there, those things are brutal. Also liked the Albacore ('chicken of the sea') and Dorado (Dolphine Fish, Mahi Mahi). Don't you love to see them change colours during the battle?
Check out the picture of the 14kg Darado l caught out of bateman's Bay N.S.W, and Big eye Tuna.

Keep those Photos coming Guys and Girls.:D:D:D

two utes
01-11-2008, 12:16 AM
hi there
i used to be a commercial fisher i loved the job and especially tuna fishing but after years i started to see a differnt side of it ,loved sleeping on deck and just listening to the whales spurting amasing experience im not the biggest greenie but now have my reserves about comercial fishing but do still enjoy pleasure fishing occasianlly if any of you can track it down i read a book called sounding by hank earls totally made me re evaluate our oceans but now im content with my discus :)

Hey Majik. I am sure you got to see some amazing things during your time as a Commercial Fisherman.
We sure do have to watch what we take out of the sea if we want it to substain us for ever? There are some tough regulation here set for commercial and recreational fisherman. I do think that it should be made tougher. IMO.

majik
01-11-2008, 04:23 AM
Hey Majik. I am sure you got to see some amazing things during your time as a Commercial Fisherman.
We sure do have to watch what we take out of the sea if we want it to substain us for ever? There are some tough regulation here set for commercial and recreational fisherman. I do think that it should be made tougher. IMO.

hi two utes yes i did see some wonderfull and amasing things also some sad dissipointing things yes we have some very tough maf (minestry of agr & fish) regs but as ive seen for myself theres always those that think the rules dont apply to them (also the ones that'll complain when there arnt any fish for their grandchildren to catch)
but i have to admit the battle with the BIG one is a real rush:D

two utes
01-11-2008, 05:15 AM
but i have to admit the battle with the BIG one is a real rush:D

IT SURE IS!!!

Check out this Black Marlin we caught and released out of Cairns a couple of years ago. Estimated at 900lbs.
We caught a bigger one which ended up dying on us through out the 2 1/2 hour battle last October.:(:(:(
We weighed it on 'Ultimate Lady' which you might know of from New Zealand. She pulled the scales at 1140lb. But more about that one later.;)

dishpanhands
01-11-2008, 06:00 AM
I thought this was a big one...LOL...It weight was 4.5 Lbs. not as big as saltwater fish, but for a rainbow trout its not a bad one.this was caught this week..

GrillMaster
01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Nice pics Joe!!

I am an avid Bass fisherman dude!! Well use ta be anyways. I started a bass club up here in the mid 80's. Still around to this day. Have lots of bass fishin tourneys through the years an won several of them. To date the biggest bass I have caught are 8 lbs an 8.5 lbs during two different tournaments, and a 9.2 lder just out enjoyin the day. :) I told myself long ago if I ever catch one 8 lbs or over, I was going to have it mounted. The 8 lber was the first one I caught up here so I did just that.

The 9.2 lber wound up in a huge display tank at my buddies tackle shop for about a week. It started eyein up a 2.5 ld sunfish (this sunfish was the biggest one I ever seen)he was gonna get it mounted when it finnaly died an he wasn't gonna stand for the bass helping it to that goal. So we let the bass go in the nearest lake. It was quite the conversation piece for a week though! He sold everyone of his home made jigs that week! :D :D

The others I let go!! Not to bad a sizes for up here in New England. :)

Ya see where the name an Av come from now...;) :D

tc
Mark

two utes
01-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Nice pics Joe!!

Ya see where the name an Av come from now...;) :D

tc
Mark

Very Nice mount Mark. Yes l often wonder how people come up with the names and picture. Now l know how yours came about.
From what l see on the T.V. bass fishing is HUGE over there.
I have watched a few tournaments, and l'm always in awe of the custom built bass baots, and those huge donkeys on the back. UNBELIEVABLE!
We have bass impoundments here, but l haven't got round to that sort of fishing as yet, but l sure do look forward to it.
9lb bass...that would have scored you some good points in tournament.

Hope you still find some time to get out there for a fish.....after you've finished doing all your water changes that is!

Thanks for your post and pictures.;)

Darren's Discus
01-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Mark,
I think we should talk Al into getting us flash red jackets like that for simply ?Joe and Markthank's for sharing those great pictures with us !

cheers

Lee C
01-11-2008, 08:13 PM

The first time I saw the Great White in that photo, my sister had sent it, cool shot.
I fish for Large Mouth Bass and Bream in Georgia.
As far as the diving and fishing in "Land of Oz", > one of my goals!
cheers mate!
Lee:hat:

renae
01-11-2008, 08:31 PM

Amazing..it looks like the shark is smiling for the camera..beautiful pictures.

TrevorB
01-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Ok, here's a largemouth bass I caught last fall. 19" and close to 6lbs.

Trevor

two utes
01-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Darren, red flashy jackets with 'Simply Discus'....put me down for one. ;)

Lee, come down under mate! Let me be your guide....please!:fish:

Renea, female great white sharks are always larger than the males and are renowned to have a smile, smurk or grin.:undecided:

Trevor, Nice large mouth bass....Why do they call them Large Mouth?:laugh:

GrillMaster
01-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Mark,
I think we should talk Al into getting us flash red jackets like that for simply ?Joe and Markthank's for sharing those great pictures with us !

cheers

http://www.cafepress.com/simply_discus

:D :D :D

tc
Mark

two utes
01-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Apart from catching a large marlin, l really enjoy catching the bait we are going to use. This is fun in its self as we use light gear, and hear lots of screams form the reel as the line is pulled off. The baits are usually stiched up in a special way to skip on the surface or swim. when the baits are slightly to large to put in the boats 'out riggers' we put the out 'live' and hold them by hand. Thet don't usually last to long either, and most of the time taken by sharks.

Photo 1. Mack Tuna. Great stiched as a swim bait
Photo 2. Striped Tuna. Used live in Bermagui for small marlin
Photo 3. Shark Makeral. Good skip or swim baits
Photo 4. Scaley Mackrel. Usually used as a skip bait.
Photo 5. Yellow Fin Tuna. If not eaten 'Sushi' Used as live bait

Kenny's Discus
01-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Wow those are some jaw-dropping pics. I really enjoy them thanks all for sharing.

two utes, I admire your pictures. BTW how long did it take you to land the Marlin and then release him? You must have had a good fight with him, very cool shots.:) Next time when you see the whale shark tell him I want to be his friend and have a pic with him as well LOL...:D

I love fishing too but I forgot to take pics keke...

Kenny

two utes
01-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Wow those are some jaw-dropping pics. I really enjoy them thanks all for sharing.

two utes, I admire your pictures. BTW how long did it take you to land the Marlin and then release him?
Kenny

Hi Kenny. Thanks Heaps!. I'm sure you don't enjoy my pictures as much as l enjoy those of your beautiful Discus. You make me feel like setting up more tanks!!!
The marlin we tagged and released only took about 25 minutes. The battles always vary depending weather the fish stays on the surface or goes deep. We have had some big marlin tagged within 3 minutes, and others lost afeter a 5 hours eppic struggle. l will post photos soon of the big 1140lb black marlin we landed on our last trip. Unfortunatley she came up dead after a 2 1/2 hour battle.

Stay Tuned.;)

Ardan
01-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Yes I do, mostly because my sons do and they are good at it. We mostly fish lake Michigan for various species of salmon and trout. Using downriggers, planer boards, dipsy divers.......

Usually the fish are from 5 to 25 lbs.
I usually drive the boat, because they are better with the equip than I, I hate tangles:D
the pics are on Lake Michigan from 2006 of my 2 sons out the back of our boat

Ardan

two utes
01-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Wow Arden. Those are some nice looking Salmon there.
You sure those pictues are on the lake?......It must be huge.
Your style of fishing is a little similar, we also sometimes use down riggers to get our baits down to where the fish are.
Once again its nice to see family fishing moments. Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

TrevorB
01-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Thought I'd add a few pics from my annual trip to the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) in northern MN. There are basically no boats with motors allowed in this area, access by canoe only. This year will be my 4th trip up there, usually camping & fishing for about a week.

1) Nice Smallie from 2006.
2) Couple Walleye (dinner) from 2006. That's what we fish for in MN mostly - delicious...
3) Nice stringer of walleye from last year. (Mine are the 6 on the right :) )
4) And this is what we call a good day fishing!!! Mix of walleye and crappie there.

Trevor

two utes
01-13-2008, 07:06 PM
What beautifull scenery. It's great being out in the wilderness. Do you come across much wild life? And, l pressume you are fishing out of your canoe.
It's good seeing the different species you guys get in your rivers there. The 'Walleye' in your second picture looks a little like our Murry Cod. Some people here keep them in Aquariums. They can get very large.

Ardan
01-13-2008, 07:09 PM
You sure those pictues are on the lake?......It must be huge

Yes, it is big, about 80 miles across, from side to side and much longer from top to bottom.:)
It is simialar to the ocean "I am told", but the waves are usually much closer together.

Thanks for the kind words:)

Ardan

TrevorB
01-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Yes, the BWCA is a gorgeous area. Completely unspoiled by man, no docks, houses, or motor boats. I usually see some wildlife mostly various birds, otters, beavers, and an occasional white tail deer. If you are lucky you can see black bear or moose. Also, my partner two years ago believes he saw a bobcat - I had a canoe on my head at the time so I didn't see much of anything besides my feet :)

Walleye can also get pretty large for a freshwater fish especially in the big lakes like Lake Michigan or Superior. I think the state record is around 17lbs. Probably pretty small yet compared with a cod..

I need to find that picture of the 180lb halibut (my wife caught) while we were in Alaska a few years ago.

Trevor

two utes
01-15-2008, 02:28 AM
I mentioned earlier that we caught an 1140lb Black Marlin. After battleing with this fish for 2 1/2 hours she surfaced in very bad condition.:sad::sad::sad: We decided to keep her and weigh her. we were out on the sea mounts about 80 miles out of Cairns in Queensland on a four day 'live on board' charter.A boat from New Zealand called 'Ultimate Lady' had the right equipment, including a crane to weigh her for us. She ended up being the largest fish weighed in Cairns for the season. A real pitty it ended up this way.:(
A more fitting ending would have been a quick catch and release in good condition.

Darren's Discus
01-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Joe,
that is one large fish ! would make lot's of good seafood mix for your discus ! great pics thank's for sharing.

cheers

two utes
01-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Thanks Darren....Do you want chips with that?;)

majik
01-15-2008, 03:40 AM
I mentioned earlier that we caught an 1140lb Black Marlin. After battleing with this fish for 2 1/2 hours she surfaced in very bad condition.:sad::sad::sad: We decided to keep her and weigh her. we were out on the sea mounts about 80 miles out of Cairns in Queensland on a four day 'live on board' charter.A boat from New Zealand called 'Ultimate Lady' had the right equipment, including a crane to weigh her for us. She ended up being the largest fish weighed in Cairns for the season. A real pitty it ended up this way.:(
A more fitting ending would have been a quick catch and release in good condition.

wow that really is some fish yes i do know of the ultimate lady that fish must be the talk of some fishy tales:)it is sad to not be able to release such a lovely fish but guess thats the way it goes:)

two utes
01-18-2008, 06:27 AM
One my very first trip out game fisihng on my brother's boat, l caught a 10 foot hammerhead shark, as excited as l was l decided to release her. The next day my brother hooked onto a much larger bronze whaler shark which he asked me to gaff when it came to the boat. About 2 hours later it surface right besides the 16ft boat we were on, but instead of pulling out the gaffs l pulled out a knife to cut the line......This thing was as big as the boat, at least. I remeber its eyes the size of an orange looking at me.
We never photographed those fish, but here are a couple photos of much smaller sharks we have caught and kept for a feed....or two.

Photo 1. 90kg Mako Shark.
Photo 2. 70kg Mako Shark.
Photo 3. Bango Shark.

majik
01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
One my very first trip out game fisihng on my brother's boat, l caught a 10 foot hammerhead shark, as excited as l was l decided to release her. The next day my brother hooked onto a much larger bronze whaler shark which he asked me to gaff when it came to the boat. About 2 hours later it surface right besides the 16ft boat we were on, but instead of pulling out the gaffs l pulled out a knife to cut the line......This thing was as big as the boat, at least. I remeber its eyes the size of an orange looking at me.
We never photographed those fish, but here are a couple photos of much smaller sharks we have caught and kept for a feed....or two.

Photo 1. 90kg Mako Shark.
Photo 2. 70kg Mako Shark.
Photo 3. Bango Shark.

sounds like u love fish the way i have come to (judging by that smile on inside out clip) you realy must get a copy of that book sounding if you cant find 1 ill post it 2 u to read it changed the way i think very powerfull book

two utes
01-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Hi there Majik. l am interested to know more about your book 'Sounding' , I have sent you a PM.

GrillMaster
01-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes, it is big, about 80 miles across, from side to side and much longer from top to bottom.:)
It is simialar to the ocean "I am told", but the waves are usually much closer together.

Thanks for the kind words:)

Ardan

Now thats what I call fresh water fishin!! :D :D

Not to many lakes you can go on an not see land!

I mentioned earlier that we caught an 1140lb Black Marlin. After battleing with this fish for 2 1/2 hours she surfaced in very bad condition. We decided to keep her and weigh her. we were out on the sea mounts about 80 miles out of Cairns in Queensland on a four day 'live on board' charter.A boat from New Zealand called 'Ultimate Lady' had the right equipment, including a crane to weigh her for us. She ended up being the largest fish weighed in Cairns for the season. A real pitty it ended up this way.

Holy Cow Joe!! 1140lb Marlin!!! :shocked2:

I should change my name to baitalker now! :D :D

tc
Mark

two utes
01-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Hi there 'baitalker' ...........Eh! l mean Bastalker! Yes she's the biggest fish I've ever seen up close, except for that 14 metre whale shark we swam with.
The IGFA world record claim, for the biggest black marlin caught on rod and real, was and still is by a gentleman by the name of Alfred Glessell Jr. Back on the 4th August 1953 he caught and landed a black marlin which weighed a massive 1560lb (707.61 kg) from Cabo Blanco Peru.
Bigger fish have been hooked up but not landed, and caimed to be around the 2000lb plus mark......now thats alot of fish.

GrillMaster
01-20-2008, 03:42 AM
Hi there 'baitalker' ........

When I was off shore squid fishin on a 155 ft freezer baot a few years ago (2 weeks at a time), we use to lay up at night (squid come to the top at night an ya cant drag for em). The crap squid we dragged up that day we would save in anticipation of that nights fishin! Then the chumin began!

We had pretty good rod an reels with us. Tossed on a huge squid an heaved it out there. The amont of sharks we caught was nuts! I would fight 3 or 4 8-10" blue sharks every night. Makos were caught religiously though nuthin over 6'. Sunfish in the 300lb range were reeled in all the time...

We also used to tie on 100 lb test to empty gallon milk jugs for a float and hand line blue sharks an Mako's in. It was alot of work durin the day, but at night it was just an amazing time. Something I will never forget. My body reminds me everyday! ;)

Nothing though, I mean nothing compared to being in the middle of the Atlantic ocean in the spring! :)

tc
Mark

majik
01-20-2008, 05:10 AM

When I was off shore squid fishin on a 155 ft freezer baot a few years ago (2 weeks at a time), we use to lay up at night (squid come to the top at night an ya cant drag for em). The crap squid we dragged up that day we would save in anticipation of that nights fishin! Then the chumin began!

We had pretty good rod an reels with us. Tossed on a huge squid an heaved it out there. The amont of sharks we caught was nuts! I would fight 3 or 4 8-10" blue sharks every night. Makos were caught religiously though nuthin over 6'. Sunfish in the 300lb range were reeled in all the time...

We also used to tie on 100 lb test to empty gallon milk jugs for a float and hand line blue sharks an Mako's in. It was alot of work durin the day, but at night it was just an amazing time. Something I will never forget. My body reminds me everyday! ;)

Nothing though, I mean nothing compared to being in the middle of the Atlantic ocean in the spring! :)

tc
Mark

hi mark youve got that right theres those that can and those that cant and if you can ,being out at sea with the elements the fishing and a good boat has to be the ultimate:D

GrillMaster
01-20-2008, 06:44 AM
hi mark youve got that right theres those that can and those that cant and if you can ,being out at sea with the elements the fishing and a good boat has to be the ultimate:D

It beat me up pretty bad my friend! Those were the easy trips. We did 5 day mackeral an herring trips where ya never slept...:crazy: Those were the winter trips

I still hurt!

tc
Mark

two utes
01-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Hey there Majik and Bastalker. Got any pictures you can share with us while out at see? Sounds like you guys had all the fun!

majik
01-20-2008, 03:15 PM
It beat me up pretty bad my friend! Those were the easy trips. We did 5 day mackeral an herring trips where ya never slept...:crazy: Those were the winter trips

I still hurt!

tc
Mark

yeah i know what you mean at the time when your younger the rush is worth all the pain :D
then as you get older the big balls attitude seams to metemorph in to brain cells and you realise you cannot do this for ever.
i did a few hoki seasons in the straights with 48hour turn arounds and yeah sleep whats that?lol:)

majik
01-20-2008, 03:20 PM
hi joe i am technologly challenged and when i work out how to get pictures off old videos and on to forum ull have them:)
err umm had camera when had boat but it is stored in davie jones locker now:D

GrillMaster
01-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Joe I wish I had pics!! I saw some amazing things out there in the Atlantic...Never did remember to bring the camera with me. The skipper frowned on us takin pics anyways.

We towed up a basking shark once! What a beast he was! Close to 30' long an the tail 10' high. Almost knocked a crew member over board with it.

tc
Mark

two utes
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
I was invited to fish the '70th Jess Sams Anniversary Game Fishing Tournament', and was away for four days. I fished on a boat called 'Ultimate II' from Bateman's Bay in N.S.W. There were 45 boats competing. We were targeting marlin, and most of the other boats were going after 'Jelly Bean sized' Yellowfin tuna. Tuna scored 1000 points each while marlin scored 10,000 points.
On the first day I caught, and tagged and released an 80kg Striped Marlin, the only one caught for the first two days. Only a hand full of marlin were caught over the tournament with the winning boat, scoreing 19,000 point all on tuna. Over all it was an enjoyable trip with great weather and good company.
I've attached a photo of the striped marlin we tagged and released.

Darren's Discus
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice one Joe,good to hear you had a good trip,when is the next one ?

cheers

two utes
02-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Hi Darren. How's it going mate?
Next one is to Bateman's Bay for 10 days. I was thinking of taking my son Mathew with me this year for his first marlin trip. Puts me back in a spot with feeding and water changes for my fish. LOL!

alxjss
02-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Dang Joe. I get excited when i catch a 22" bass. I can't imagine catching something like that. How long did it take to reel him in? I used to fish salt water. Only off the docks tho. My father went blue fishing all the time tho. Never did. Only the guys. Man, its still a mans world, i think! Anyway, great job, sounds like it was real fun!!!

two utes
02-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Hi Eileen. Glad to hear that you are into fishing also. I know alot of women who are into game fishing. It has lots to do with technique than strength. Too bad your dad didn't take you Bluewater fishing, l'm sure you would have loved it. That 80 kg fish took me about 15 minutes to get it within reach of the tag pole, then we released it. The 1140lb marlin we caught in Cairns took 2 1/2 hours. But its not really about how big the fish is, but on how dirty they fight. Sometimes they go deep and use current to their advantage.
Do you have any photos of your bass?
I really would like to see some.:)
It's only a man's world if you let it be.;)

majik
02-05-2008, 07:03 AM
It's only a man's world if you let it be.;)[/QUOTE]

Yip ill second that Joe,thats not to say that a girl can never have enough shoes though:D

two utes
02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
It's only a man's world if you let it be.;)

Yip ill second that Joe,thats not to say that a girl can never have enough shoes though:D[/QUOTE]

What about handbags? :D ;)

renae
02-05-2008, 07:20 PM
definately handbags ;) batemans bay huh !! your so lucky.

majik
02-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Yip ill second that Joe,thats not to say that a girl can never have enough shoes though:D

What about handbags? :D ;)[/QUOTE]

Hehe that goes without saying if you have shoes you NEED at least 2 bags that match the shoes:D

two utes
02-05-2008, 09:37 PM
What about handbags? :D ;)

Hehe that goes without saying if you have shoes you NEED at least 2 bags that match the shoes:D[/QUOTE]

.......Only two..... that's not to bad.;)

EH! lets get back onto fishing then. As l mentioned in my first post l am now into tagging and releasing marlin, but sometimes that does not always come to plan. In the first photo you will see a tag in a Striped marlin l caught. After wee tagged it it took of really deap again and died.
The second photo is of my brother's first marlin he caught on his ever first trip with me, and wanted to cast a mould of it for mounting. I'm the 'Crazey Nut' on the left.
The last photo is of how we fight fish 'Stand Up'. This is my preferred way to catch marlin, but sometimes have to use the game chair.

two utes
04-09-2008, 05:17 AM
Just got back from yet another marlin fishing trip....but this one was very special for me as l took my 14 year old son Mathew with me to have a chance at battleing with a marlin for the first time.
We tagged and released 3 striped marlin ranging from 70kg to 110kg, and yes, Mathew caught the largest one. It took him nearly an hour to get it with in reach of the tag pole. Let me just say that he was over whelmed by the whole experiance...and l was very proud.:D:D:D

Check out the 5 minute clip off all the action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFnheU6-CWE

phidelt85
04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
hellavu video, Joe. Congrats to Mattey on his first Marlin. It looked like ya'll had a blast!!

two utes
04-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Thanks Jose. Yep we had a great time. I think l was more excited about the capture than Mathew was.
He also thanks you. :)

two utes
05-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Flying out to The Gold Coast in Queensland tomorrow morning, and will be fishing for Blue Marlin, which are hanging about there at the moment. Hope to come back with a good report and some photos to show you. :D

In the meantime how about posting some of your fishy tales.

Looking forward to them!

two utes
05-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Just got back from my trip, but didn't get onto any Blue Marlin that l was chasing, but caught a few nice Mac Tuna.
The trip was not a total loss, as l also caught up with my Daughter, and Grand daughter.:D

Pictured below is my son in law Aaron, with his very first tuna, on his first game fishing trip.
We ventured out about 40nm this particular day a travelled approx' 100nm for the day in a 23ft centre console boat...let me just say we got very wet coming in some rough weather.

Darren's Discus
05-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Joe,
glad to had a good trip,and chance to catch up with your daughter and grand daughter,Nice tuna thank's for sharing !

cheers

two utes
08-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi guys!
Just thought l'd share this 5 minute clip l put together of my latest fishing trip in Queensland.
Did both freshwater and saltwater fishing.
The main objective was to catch a juvinille black marlin out of Townsville at Cape Bowling Green on 6kg Tackle.......it did not quit work out with the ending l was wishing for....But boy did l have a great time.....theres something about QLD'er hospitality.

Hope you enjoy the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AceAUwjiSyw

Discus_KC
08-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Nice video!!

Jack

GrillMaster
08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Your a fishin machine there Joe!! :thumbsup:

Darren's Discus
08-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Joe,
stop coming to NQ and catching our fish stay in your own cold seas !:D:D great video mate.Are you coming up for the billfish challenge 5th-12th sept ?

cheers

two utes
08-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi Darren. No bill fish down here in Melbourne mate so l got to keep comming up that way for them....Maybe l should move up there!
I will be back in Cairns from the 26th of Sept through till 14 October. Fishing Lizard Island...but not the 'billfish Challenge'. That tournament is HUGE!!!!
Maybe next year.:D:D:D

two utes
10-23-2008, 05:45 AM
I just got back from a 15 day trip on Moana II out of Cairns in Queensland. We fished along the Great Barrier Reef all the way up to Lizard island. Had a fantastic time, not only fishing but also swimming with whale sharks. I've put together a few little clips which gives you a bit of an idea of what l have been up to.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=OLXDrGzJyII

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=oqBt_ACHkUU

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=j572iN5KgYo

It was great being in Queensland again where the only item of clothing needed is a pair of shorts, tee shirt, and sunglasses. Boy l would love to move up there for good one day!!

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/kirilmar2.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/kirilmar3.jpg

One of the highlight for me on this trip was swimming with two whale sharks on the same day.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/jzshar2.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/jzshark1.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/jzshark3.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/moancapeflat.jpg

If you ever get a chance to visit the Great Barrier reef, don't pass it by.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/coralset.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/coral1.jpg

Peachtree Discus
10-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Has anyone ever considered a "SimplyDiscus Annual Fishing Trip"?

two utes
10-28-2008, 11:26 PM
If any body is interested in coming 'Down Under' to spend some time fishing on the great barrier reef...or anywhere else here in Australia, let me know and l can put you onto the right people, or help you organize it.

One thing for sure is that you will love it!:D:D:D

majik
11-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Gidday Joe looks like a great trip ,that swim with whale sharks looks mind blowing

CraigG
11-10-2008, 10:20 PM
I love fishing haven't done it in a while with the new job. I worked too many weekends now that I have a year of tenure and not the lowest on the totem pole, i get sundays off.

I'm hopeing next spring to start again. Usually any type of bass, walleye, catfish, salmon are the types I usually go for.

My best catch was a Northern Pike I caught while fishing for walleye. Only caught that once and it was the toughest fight. I've also caught a few snapping turtles while fishing.

One thing I'd like to try is fly fishing but I've heard its tough to get the technique down.

two utes
11-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Hi Craig.
Fly fishing is something l also want to get into too. I think that it would be special tying your own flies then tricking a fish into taking them.

I'm of on another trip to QLD all of next week to fish in an Impoundment called Lake Awoonga. It is well known for its metre plus barrumundi, and l will be trying to get one with hard bodied lures and soft plastics... Wish me Luck.

Hope to show you all some good photos on my return.

greyhoundfan
11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/phongHvu/Corv2112708.jpg

Corvina caught on Turkey day.. I got soaked. My waterproof rain gear turned out to be water resistent..

two utes
12-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the photo, and that's an interesting looking outfit you have there. Are you casting lures or bait fishing.

I have just returned from another trip to QLD, but this time for some freshwater baramundi fishing in Lake Awoonga. We cast lures of all types into snags around trees roots, and even heavy weed.
The ladies l fished with maned 5 barra for the trip ranging from 67cm to 103cm. Even though the fishing was very tough.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/ela103.jpg http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/jumper.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/reels.jpg http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/lures.jpg

Check out this small video clip l put together of the trip.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0wbftNn2HNQ

I look forward to more fishing report, and pictures..:D:D:D

greyhoundfan
12-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the photo, and that's an interesting looking outfit you have there.
Outfit..LOL.. thanks for noticing. Hawaii Baseball cap, Gap windbreaker and long surf board shorts.

I was casting lures, t-rigged white grub. Man, those Barries you caught would be a dream.

two utes
12-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Outfit..LOL.. thanks for noticing. Hawaii Baseball cap, Gap windbreaker and long surf board shorts.

Outfit. LOL! hehehehe....l meant your fishing rod and reel.

greyhoundfan
12-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Outfit. LOL! hehehehe....l meant your fishing rod and reel.

Now that's funny... In the states we say "gear"..LOL.;);)

On that day I was sporting my Shimao Curdado DHSV 200, 7'6" Cumara Medium Heavy Action..

Roxanne
12-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Hey Joe, where you goin with that fishin rod in your hand? ba ba ba ba ba:bandana:

You would have spotted the green glow of envy if you flew over my place, specially when I showed my husband (also named Joe)the footage of the barra's! Those must be some tuff Aussie women you got there in your family Joe, Elain's barra looked like it weighed the same as her!! I was surprised when you's were releasing them , I thought they were dead cos they weren't flapping around everywhere....oops, my blonde headedness is showing again...I love those sun over the water shots.....aaaah Australia..

Where ya's goin next time?

two utes
12-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Yeh thanks Roxy....Those ladies invited me to go fishing with them They do the ABT circuit..They are GUN fisher women. Yeh those impoundment barra don't flap around too muck...which is good. Minimizes stress on the fish while we measure them up.

Heading back for another marlin trip to the gold coast in the new year.....will give you another wave as l fly over your house.:D

Roxanne
12-14-2008, 11:39 AM
No, you'll be buying me a drink at the bar....I'm coming TOOOOO!!!:D

MSD
12-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Love the water, I do live on an Island, but not a fan of fishing. Guess when my uncle took me fluke fishing when I was 7 it left a bad feeling, I missed all my Saturday morning cartoons!!! Traumatic, eh? :D

Roxanne
12-14-2008, 12:50 PM
....when my uncle took me fluke fishing when I was 7.. I missed all my Saturday morning cartoons!!! Traumatic, eh? :D

I got 3 words for you MSD..Sooky..Little...brat!!:D:D:D

Rox

MSD
12-14-2008, 02:40 PM
And now I am an adult little brat. ;)

A sooky: sad little person who feels the need to whinge about a recent event.

two utes
12-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Love the water, I do live on an Island, but not a fan of fishing. Guess when my uncle took me fluke fishing when I was 7 it left a bad feeling, I missed all my Saturday morning cartoons!!! Traumatic, eh? :D

That's cool that you live on an island. I live on an island as well 'Australia' and l have still got plenty of coast line that l want to fish and explore. I used to love those sat' morning cartoons as well. But with today's technology you can still view them while your away.:D:D:D

Roxy? Which bar and when?.....and what you drinking? My Shout

MSD
12-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah, but when I was a kid it was the 60's!!! No technology like today. The place I live is on Long Island, lots of boats aqnd fishing here, I am 20 mins north or south ov the sound or ocean.

Roxanne
12-14-2008, 09:01 PM
You make me laugh MSD;)

Roxy? Which bar and when?.....and what you drinking? My Shout

Your next fishin trip, the flight bar, and I'll have a vodka martini, shaken, not stirred thanks;)....
:D

two utes
12-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Scotch on the rocks for me....Johnny Walker.....He's my friend:D

two utes
12-24-2008, 03:29 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/santamarlin.jpg

Roxanne
12-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Merry Xmas 2utes:)
Rox

obsessed
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I love every minute of it.
my best fish last year. 32" Kansas Walleye, released to spawn again. She was a post spawn fish or else she would have been huge!

Also a catch and release gull on a topwater plug!

PAul

two utes
03-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Thanks Paul. That's really great that you practice catch and release. I've also tangled with a few gulls in my time while casting in mid air. Don't their friends carry on as they come to their rescue.

I have just returned from a 2 week marlin fishing trip where we towed my 6 meter eden craft a whole 2760km all round trip from melbourne to Bateman's bay in N.S.W. then further north to Jarvis bay and again north of Sydney to Port Stephens.

We tagged and released 6 Striped marlin in total.

Here are some pictures from the trip

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/boathome.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/stripey.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/jbstripey.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/grahamsstripey.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/bonito.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/a-1.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/f.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/e.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/c.jpg

two utes
03-12-2009, 05:42 AM
....and here is a short video clip of some of the high lights form trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1w6MmUkcTY&feature=channel_page

Thanks

obsessed
03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
thats great, i'll be in Hawaii tomorrow, will bonefish a little.
i'll post pics,,,maybe i should just continue down to your place!

PAul

Runningfish
03-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Hawaii is awesome, but you need to get out really early or all the fish are gone.

obsessed
03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Runningfish,
Any suggestions on Hawaii? We have a bonefish guide 2 days, but have other free days, multiple islands.
snorkel or fish ....tough decision....

Two Utes,... nice video, nice fish!

cmich
03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
....and here is a short video clip of some of the high lights form trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1w6MmUkcTY&feature=channel_page

Thanks

Very Cool video. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Blake

two utes
03-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks Blake, thanks Paul.

Sound like you have a dilemma on your hands Paul, with so many choices.
I think you are going to be there for the marlin season as well.
One thing l have heard is that it is always flat calm marlin fishing out of Kona.

Looking forward to you holiday snaps when you get back, or better still show me when you come 'Down Under'

two utes
09-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Pardon my absence from SD for awhile but I've been busy with my fishing....my discus are still occupying time at home, and my little helper Mattey is not so little any more and enjoys being caretaker while l'm away.

I recently fished a tournament in Townsville with some good results...here's a report

2009 Mike Carney Toyota Billfish Challenge

The fishing over the 4 days was the slowest it has ever been over the 30 years since this tournament has been run, according to Townsville Game fishing Club president Tom Hatrick, but still a great time was had by all crews on the 30 odd boats over and under 8 meter category.
The weather over the 4 days was pleasant compared to the previous year and the smaller boats were able to fish the full term of the tournament. Having the leading boats in both categories on 2 fish each meant that the prize was still up for grabs till cease fishing was called at 16:30pm on the final day. So you can imagine my team mates,Talina,Todd, and l eagerly listening to the final skeds, and awaiting the call to cease fishing.

Here are some of the prizes taken for the tournament:

1st boat over 8 meters............Sea Baby IV
2nd boat over 8 meters............Mauna Kea
3rd boat over 8 meters...........Utopia

1st boat over 8 meters............Oi Budd
2nd boat over 8 meters............Bad Company
3rd boat over 8 meters............Mates Rates

Meritorious encouragement award...Alby Albery at 82 years catching his first marlin
Champion angler over 8m - Toni Williams -Utopia
Champion angler under 8m - Marcus Belcher - Bad Company
Champion skipper over 8 metres - Sea Baby IV Rod Mathisen
Champion skipper under 8 years - Todd O'Shaughnessy - Oi Bud

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/l.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/a1.jpg
Our fishing vessel 'OI BUDD'............................... Boats and crews getting ready at the marina

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/b-1.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/n.jpg
Party on the Spit..Cape Bowling Green..............Sunset on the Spit

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/c-1.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/todd.jpg
Team 'Oi Budd' accepting prize for 1st Boat over 8Metre... Todd's thank you speech for champion Skipper

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/bodo.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/d-1.jpg
Bodo Muche Bronze Sculpture Trophie.......Team Oi Budd

Congratulations to all those who competed, and a special thanks to the committee and members of the Townsville game fishing club who through their hard work put together a great programme over the 4 day fishing tournament and the Gala presentation dinner at Jupiter's Hotel and Casino.

Special thanks to Mike Carney Toyota, and all the other sponsors for their kind contributions, and as we all know you cannot run these grand events without the sponsors support. So, if given the opportunity give the sponsors some support back.

A big thank you to Luke & Kelly from Pelagic High Performance Offshore Gear for thier support and great gear they provided us on 'Oi Budd.

And on a final personnel note l would like to sincerely thank Todd, Talina, and their wonderful families for the opportunity to spend time back up in Townsville, and their wonderful hospitality over the who ten days l was back up in God's Country

Disgirl
09-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the interesting post and pics! I live by the Atlantic ocean and we have a Marlin contest every June called the Big Rock Tournament. The boat that brings in the largest Marlin wins and it is usually over $1 million. But I wish it was catch and release here :(. Only the small ones get released. Congrats on your win! Nice trophy! $$$ too?
Barb

two utes
09-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks for your comments Barb. The tournaments here are all tag and release now, and points are only given for fish that are released, with bonus points for those caught on circle hooks which don't allow the fish to be hooked in the gut and damaged.
Wow 1 million is an awesome first prize but it a real shame to have a marlin killed to claim it. Unfortunately there is no way of accurately submitting a weight unless the fish is killed and hung on official scales.

Its funny for tournaments here we like getting the smaller ones quickly to the boat, tagged and released and quickly try to catch another one, while the bite's on.
Hopefully one day the mind set will change over there for the 'Big Rock Tournament' :)

I'm fishing another tournament 'the Lizard island Black marlin classic' in about 4 weeks, where they also had the major prize for largest marlin, but a few years back they pulled down the weigh bridge, and never having competitors kill one again, however they still recognize 1000lb marlin caught with use of photos and witnesses.

I have taken the odd marlin home in the past, but l have come to relize that there are many better quality fish in the sea to take home for a feed instead

Disgirl
09-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I sure do like your Aussie way better! I wish they would do it like that here. The ones that are guessed to be over 400 lbs are killed and brought in to be hung up on huge scales in front of hundreds of cheering people. It goes on for a week. They try to justify it by saying that all the competing boats have to pay hundreds of dollars each to be in the tournament, some money goes to scientific research and the rest to the winner. They keep the marlin's heads for some kind of research, they say. No one eats them as far as I know. I work at the local public aquarium where most of us think it is just awful to kill these magnificent fish. A few years ago some boat brought in a 1000 lb fish. Most are 5-800 or so.

Last week a tourist, man aged 67, went for a swim at midnight off shore all alone. His shark eaten body washed up 30 miles south several days later. He should have known better. Or maybe he did it on purpose?

Good luck in your next tournament, especially if it is catch and release :D!
Barb

two utes
06-21-2010, 04:47 AM
Hi everyone. I've been poking around here, and still enjoy keeping, and taking care of my discus, but as l mentioned before my passion is fishing, and have been doing the odd trip since my last post in this thread. A good friend of mine suggested that l share some of my latest pictures with you all, so l thought l'd give this thread a bump. Hopefully some of you will also care to share some of your fishing adventures with us. :D

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/P5140075.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/P5230033.jpg
Have been catching some blufine tuna from here in victoria, and took my nephew Cameron on his first game fishing trip. His 15kg tuna was a real challenge, and put a smile on ever ones face that day.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/P4230103.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/P4210089.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/IMG_3185.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/P4200075.jpg

i was also very fortunate to spend a few weeks in the northern territory, catching barrumandi and queen fish, though l must say that l enjoyed catching and eating mudcrabs the BEST!
I had a little accidents with a treble hook...nothing some pliers and whiskey couldn't fix though ;)

Looking forward to some of your very own photos.

two utes
06-21-2010, 05:02 AM
I'm fortunate to have my daughter and grand daughter living back home with us at the moment, and l couldn't resist taking Izzy who is now 2 1/2 years old out on my boat for a fish.
She wanted to pat all the fish caught which we had to be carefull off since some have nasty spines...was a great day though

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/port10.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/port8.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/port7.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/port13.jpg

two utes
06-21-2010, 05:21 AM
My favorite fish to catch....then release.... is Marlin.
I spent 2 weeks on a game boat fishing and diving out of Cairns on the Great Barrier Reef, just before Christmas, and met some wonderful people on the way up to Lizard Island. Its easy making new friends when you have common interests...a bit like us all here on Simply Discus. :D

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/j9.jpg

Giant Trevelly GT

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/l7.jpg

this photo taken from the Dive office before one of out dives on Lizard island

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/n6.jpg

Spanish mackerel rigged up as a marlin bait

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/n2.jpg

Hooked up to a black marlin

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/r1.jpg

Real life aquarium...the great barrier reef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO2kGhyXxNE

Check out this short video clip l put together.

Ed13
06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
AWESOME pics! I wanted to drop everything and go fishing!

BTW, those butterflies in that last pic are very special.

John_Nicholson
06-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Here is a bass that I caught back in college. She weighed a little over 14 and 1/2 pounds.

-john

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/fish.jpg

Darrell Ward
06-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Huge bass! I've only caught stripers that big! Since I've been laid off due to the economy, and since I live in the middle of mountain trout country, I go trout fishing almost every morning. The biggest fish I've caught this year has been only an 18" rainbow on a "Green Weenie" fly, but it's a lot of fun, and keeps me from getting depressed. :)

two utes
06-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys.

Darrell, that's awesome that you live so close to trout streams, and catching them on flies is something that l would like to take up one day. Do you tie your own flies? Fishing also puts me in a nice state of mind.:)

John. That Bass is Huge. I didn't realize they get so big. Pardon my ignorance, but is it a large mouth bass?

two utes
06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
AWESOME pics! I wanted to drop everything and go fishing!

BTW, those butterflies in that last pic are very special.

Thanks for that.

Those Butterflies were born and bred on the Great Barrier Reef :D

Darrell Ward
06-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys.

Darrell, that's awesome that you live so close to trout streams, and catching them on flies is something that l would like to take up one day. Do you tie your own flies? Fishing also puts me in a nice state of mind.:)

John. That Bass is Huge. I didn't realize they get so big. Pardon my ignorance, but is it a large mouth bass?

No, I've never tied my own flies, I just get them at the sporting goods store. I may try it sometime though. :)

Ed13
06-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for that.

Those Butterflies were born and bred on the Great Barrier Reef :D
Well they are coralivores, one more reason the Great Barrier Reef is so amazing.

Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute some fish pics to this thread one day:(

Disgirl
06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
The Big Rock Blue Marlin tournament just took place where I live and the winner this year weighed in at 880 lbs. But looks like it died for nothing since the boat crew was disqualified from the $970,000 prize since one of the deck hands did not have the $15 fishing license needed in North Carolina to fish. Don't know if the 500 lb or the 400 lb will get more money for the crews in 2nd and 3rd place. Good pictures guys!
Barb:)

Darrell Ward
06-21-2010, 08:16 PM
The Big Rock Blue Marlin tournament just took place where I live and the winner this year weighed in at 880 lbs. But looks like it died for nothing since the boat crew was disqualified from the $970,000 prize since one of the deck hands did not have the $15 fishing license needed in North Carolina to fish. Don't know if the 500 lb or the 400 lb will get more money for the crews in 2nd and 3rd place. Good pictures guys!
Barb:)

I saw that on the news. Unbelievable. Not only did they lose the fish and the tournament, they will probably be fined as well.

dbfzurowski
06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
yea very nice fish. Just came back from my King/snapper fishing in FL, 4days and nothing. All good, going sturgeon fishing for 10days next Friday. Hope to catch a 10ft monster :) will post pic if i do. Biggest to date for me is little under 7ft. man i love to fish!

John_Nicholson
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys.

Thanks and yes it was a large mouth.

-john

KeonTheKing
06-24-2010, 10:48 AM
lol i love fishing. we used to catch giant blue sturgeon in iran. i also go fishing in california very often. we go for bonito yellowtail albacore bluefin and yellowfin. we also go for barracuda and calico bass. and in winter we get some yummy rockfish :D:D

birdog
07-11-2010, 01:48 AM
My only time open sea fishing I caught this one and we didn't head back to land 'till my other two buddies caught one each.
Hella 12 hours off Acapulco's sea back in December of '05.
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/ddaipics/june-july%202010/Acapulco%2005/Acapulco2004049.jpg
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/ddaipics/june-july%202010/Acapulco%2005/001.jpg

They made for some great ceviche Acapulco style.

David

Darrell Ward
07-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Catch and release David. Catch and release.

KeonTheKing
07-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Depends what fish endangered fish sure but if its not why release it.

Darrell Ward
07-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Depends what fish endangered fish sure but if its not why release it.

Because if you can afford to spend hundreds of dollars to sportfish offshore, there is no reason to keep a gamefish. Leave in the ocean to be caught again, and reproduce, so you'll still have something to catch in your retirement.

William Palumbo
07-11-2010, 07:12 PM
You shouldn't have to explain why you catch and release. Those serious about the sport know why. I am strictly catch and release, EXCEPT in the fall, for the Great Lakes Chinook/Coho Salmon run, which Salmon are basically coming in from the lake, into the harbors to die. Luckily I do reproduction taxidermy work, so me having a "trophy" to display is never a problem. This subject can be as touchy as the use of Live Blackworms!...Bill

birdog
07-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Catch and release David. Catch and release.
I didn't know the status of this fish as far as endangered or not, I am a nature lover of sorts and do think about the effect of overfishing but as I write these lines I am still not aware of the status of this species.
The way I see it is, one guy for the first time and only time big game fishing off my homeland shore, if there was more control of big fishing companys and more control of oil companys messing up our waters, I think there would be no issue as to catching and keeping and eating these glorious fish, believe it or not from those three great fish, one and a half went to our captain's village and the other one and a half went to my family's village up in the not so ritzy part of Acapulco where a lot of us fed for a couple of days.
I do agree the issue is very sensitive, and the point is well taken.

Regards
David

two utes
07-11-2010, 11:58 PM
While there are no restrictions on keeping any of the billfish species, except for 2 per boat per day here in Australia, l tend to agree with Bill about catch & release.
I to have kept the odd billfish for a feed, but l really much prefer to tag them and let them live another day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFnheU6-CWE

I think the more you get into fishing the more we become aware of this.

Thanks for posting up the photo David :)

KeonTheKing
07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Because if you can afford to spend hundreds of dollars to sportfish offshore, there is no reason to keep a gamefish. Leave in the ocean to be caught again, and reproduce, so you'll still have something to catch in your retirement.

Well the very large gamefish like marlins and swords yes they do not even taste good. but we happen to have our own boat and go offshore sometimes about 60 miles and get Tunas and wahoos my point is there no point to release tuna i just make it into sushi.

KeonTheKing
07-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Here is one of my favorite west coast Bottom feeders to eat their meat is just like scallops here we call them sculpins but their proper name is scorpion fish due to their poisonus spikes ( in the picture it is cut off.) I always find live or dead baby dungness crabs in the scuplin stomachs.

vera
07-13-2010, 01:58 AM
WOW , what a thread Joe u started , i love fishing , but never had a chance while here in Malta and surrounded by the sea to go on a fishing trip , maybe one day would love to , think u r having way too much fun im jealous :D
thank u everyone for pictures and sharing yr experience , keep them coming
TC

two utes
07-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the comment Vera.
It dosn't seem that long ago that l was in Malta for a wonderful family holiday, and yes l did go fishing there. I timed my trip around the Tuna, swordfish season, as l was real keen to catch and release my very first swordfish.
I did manage a very small one which l dropped at the side of the boat DOH!
I also caught my very first Northern Bluefin Tuna, and also the smallest Dolphin fish (Mahi Mahi or Doredo) that l have ever seen.
Malta is a beautiful place, with fantastic coast, and the nicest people, and l can't wait to visit again some time soon.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/maltatuna.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/maltadolph.jpg

DerekFF
07-27-2010, 03:54 AM
WOW , what a thread Joe u started , i love fishing , but never had a chance while here in Malta and surrounded by the sea to go on a fishing trip
MALTA!! home of the firefighters maltese cross

KeonTheKing
07-28-2010, 01:21 AM
That is the smallest dorado i have even seen. the smallest one i caugth was 8 pounds ._. and the biggest 47 pounds their quite beautiful once caught.

vera
07-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Looks like Lampuca ? LOL, bet u miss these ..in a pie :)

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/maltadolph.jpg

two utes
07-28-2010, 07:24 AM
Yes Vera, it is a lampuka...Mmmmm those pies

THey are certainly a beautiful fish especially when they change colour form cobalt blue to green to yellow.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/Dolphine.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/JoeDolphin.jpg

vera
07-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Thats big one , 've never seen any of that size

DiscusKev
08-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Huge fish, such an incredible fish.

Altum Nut
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
All your shots are great but my daughter says....
LOOK DAD I CAUGHT A BIG ONE

two utes
08-10-2010, 06:49 PM
All your shots are great but my daughter says....
LOOK DAD I CAUGHT A BIG ONE

Thanks for posting that shot! lt bought back some sweet memories of when my dad use to take us out on the end of a pier to catch redfin, and l then taking my kids to do the same.
Its those trips that got me interested in fishing, and its those basic techniques that's made me the fisherman l am today.
Apart from all that l think it's one of the best ways to spend quality time with the family.
I hope your daughter goes on to enjoy fishing the way l do.

Thanks again. :D

danny2013
08-10-2010, 08:42 PM
My only time open sea fishing I caught this one and we didn't head back to land 'till my other two buddies caught one each.
Hella 12 hours off Acapulco's sea back in December of '05.
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/ddaipics/june-july%202010/Acapulco%2005/Acapulco2004049.jpg
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/ddaipics/june-july%202010/Acapulco%2005/001.jpg

They made for some great ceviche Acapulco style.

David

Come on brother, It hurts seeing one catch 3 sailfish and keeping them:(. Release sailfish next time!

birdog
08-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Uhh...I think I got dejavu.

William Palumbo
08-11-2010, 02:56 AM
Uhh...I think I got dejavu.

LOL David. You'll never live that pic down! Tell them how the captain of the boat wanted to KEEP your catches, and tried to cheat you out of them! With a captain like that, NOTHING would be allowed to go back...Bill

birdog
09-01-2010, 12:49 AM
LOL David. You'll never live that pic down! Tell them how the captain of the boat wanted to KEEP your catches, and tried to cheat you out of them! With a captain like that, NOTHING would be allowed to go back...Bill

Yeah Bill, that sonuvagun wanted to keep all three of them beauties, heck we city slickers almost got intimidated until we decided to deal with them Chicago style.;)

David

P.S. Sorry for the late response, been away from simply.

vera
09-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Yesteday went on a boat trip around Malta with my friends and caught my biggest ever Tuna fish , actually my first Tuna LOLnow im officially back in to fishing :D

Free port

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/DSCF3547.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/bigfishTUNA.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/DSCF3546.jpg

two utes
09-22-2010, 06:24 PM
WooHoo!! Way To Go Vera.
Looks like you're happy to be back in beautiful Malta.
Did you catch it on traditional hand line?
It's Lumpuki (Dolphine Fish) Season there now...they would jump all over that little blue skirted lure.
Thanks for sharing :D

vera
09-22-2010, 08:26 PM
LOL
do u recognise the place Joe , its Marsaxlokk Delmar?(know how it sound , but the spell hmmm:)) to be honest didnt see much fish around only every now and then there are would be a splash , it was around 1-2pm so didnt really expect to c or catch anything with hand line, the look of this ltl Tuna up to now makes me laugh even in my 30 gal it will b lost so made a wish and let it go , hope it grows in to suitable size and migrates to Australia for u to catch it later :)
how is the preparation for a big trip-adventure going , hope u'll make it !
Tc

two utes
10-30-2010, 08:07 PM
LOL
do u recognise the place Joe , its Marsaxlokk Delmar?(know how it sound , but the spell hmmm:))
how is the preparation for a big trip-adventure going , hope u'll make it !
Tc

Marsaxlokk is a place l enjoyed visitng often Vera. My uncles used to to as on the esplande there and watch the local fishermen come in in their small boats with their catch, and then later we would enjoy a meal in one of many restarants. I used to always end up orderin fish;)

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/aaa-2.jpg

My adventure came up quick with little notice, and ended even quicker.

l arrived back home from a two week trip to my favorite place in Australia, The Great Barrier Reef. After some sleep, l caught up with what was going on back home, checked emails and faxes to sort out some work and got right into downloading my photos and editing video clips....though l shouldn't have told my clients when l was returning home, as the phone calls were a real distraction. You know how they say 'never put off till tomorrow what you can do today'?....well l'm a great believer in that till it comes to work.
I jumped on Moana III after arriving in Cairns after midnight a few weeks ago, and spent all day Wednesday stocking the boat with supplies for our trip up to Lizard Island for the 24th Lizard Island Black Marlin Classic.Captain Dan's son Dough joined us again to help catch some well needed fresh bait. Tom was deckie again this season, and a newcomer to the team Jimmy eager to learn a bit about heavy tackle fishing.
It was a smooth run all the way to the island, and much bait was caught on 10 - 15 kg outfits, together with some fresh fish to make its way to the table for dinner.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA140002.jpg
Dough catches a personnel best Yellow Fin tuna on 15kg outfit which weighed 18kg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA170170.jpg
One of many spotted mackeral caught on small skirted lures later to be stiched as skipped or swim baits depending on size

Jimmy was keen to get on the next rod to go off so Dan steered Moana III close to the edge of one of the ribbon reefs to try and score him a Dog Tooth Tuna, and almost on cue the 10kg outfit went off screaming, with jimmy jumping on it like a jack rabbit he caught a 20kg doggie which put up a great fight

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA150010.jpg
You can see why they call these things Dog Tooth Tuna.
Some of it found its way on the dinner table that night.

We arrived at the island the day before the briefing which gave us some time to do some more exploring on and around the island.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA160070.jpg
Moana III anchored in Watson's Bay - Lizard Island

The previous year we hiked up to Cook's Nook to enjoy the fabulous views around the island, and l made a mental note to visit the 'blue lagoon' the next time l had a chance. So while Dan took Dough to the airport, Tom, Jimmy and l took the track to the other side of the island for a swim and a snorkel

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA160089.jpg
The beach at the lagoon with other islands close by

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA160127.jpg
Snorkeling the edges of mangroves at the southern end of the lagoon

On the way back to the boat we stopped at the shack at the airport to find Dan greeting Andrei, our Angler for the tournament. Andrei is a very keen marlin fisherman from Russia, who has fished in some of the best marlin grounds around the world, and this was to be his fifth or sixth year fishing with Dan. Unfortunately for him though the weather was not as good for the rest of the week with it getting up to 30knts some days. we had one really rough night camped behind Hicks reef with wind gusts recorded to 60knts at nearby cape flattery. We pulled the anchor up the the next morning to find it was bent in the shape of a banana

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA200199.jpg
Some big seas while fishing the tournament

Andrei's turn on a black marlin didn't come till the fifth day of the tournament, but his patience was rewarded with the biggest fish of the tournament, which came up and tried to eat our deckie Tom, and in the process take the tag pole off him. He was very lucky to just end up with a grazed elbow, as the marlin made contact with him with its coarse bill. Things could have been much much worse.
The marlin, which was estimated by Dan to be around 1100lb, was eventually tagged with a N.S.W scientific tag and released without harm to continues its breeding cycle, which was the whole reason for it being there in the first place

http://www.youtube.com/user/twoutesmarlin?feature=mhum#p/u/0/MLXOMadfZg4
Short clip of 1100lb black marlin

Since start fishing didn't start till 11:00 am we had time to catch more fresh baits for the day's fishing, as well as some snorkeling. One morning we rigged up some Halco laser pros with wire and put them out for a bait session

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA230238.jpg
Lasor pros rigged up and ready to go

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA230247.jpg
Shark mackerel for swim bait

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA230256.jpg
I think we'll keep this spanish for dinner

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA230262.jpg
Enough caught for the day after about an hour

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA230266.jpg
Paint on lures don't last very long up there, this was only after it spent one hour in the water.

To get out of having a poor anchorage, a few times we opted to anchoring at Watson's Bay, which gave us the opportunity to spend time at the marlin bar to catch up with friends. One in particular was 'Dammo' who deckied on Joe Joe for many seasons, but had now bought his own game boat 'Saltaire', and was working with Nomad doing heavy tackle as well as sports fishing in the areas at the time. He tipped us off where we could get Andrei some Large G.T's up to 40kg.
I just happened to take up with me a new river2sea Dumbell Popper, and the very first fish to get caught on it was a 40kg plus G.T.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA230273.jpg
Now that's how you christen a new lure

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA230276.jpg
Dan helps Andrei lift his G.T for the photo

http://www.youtube.com/user/twoutesmarlin?feature=mhum#p/u/6/9HT44y0xslY
Short clip of G.T. popping

Another unusual catch on the way out from the island was this Big Eye Tuna. In saying that we have caught many of these on previous trips out on the sea mounts but never on the inside of the reef

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/PA170168.jpg
Big Eye Tuna.

I will apologize now for the long report, but l just love being away somewhere in this manificeny country...especially when l'm on a boat fishing.

Discus-n00b
10-30-2010, 10:18 PM
So when are you hosting a Simplydiscus party in Malta Vera?? ;) I'd love to visit! haha

Those Spanish mackeral and yellowfin tuna are beautiful fish!

hedut
10-30-2010, 11:33 PM
+1 me to:p:D:D:D:D:D:D

two utes
11-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Love to new layout, and some of the extra features on here.

Checking out the new video feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxE0K87EDc
A short clip of what else we get up to on the boat :bandana:

Jennie
11-14-2010, 07:53 PM
lol, trying to get swordfish onboard..

Jennie
11-14-2010, 08:02 PM
LOL, Vera, just saw your big fish catch! Funny:)
Yesteday went on a boat trip around Malta with my friends and caught my biggest ever Tuna fish , actually my first Tuna LOLnow im officially back in to fishing :D

Free port

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/DSCF3547.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/bigfishTUNA.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/DSCF3546.jpg

cooksa
11-14-2010, 08:12 PM
And to think, I was excited to catch this guy...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x144/fozzie04/Fishies/fishin.jpg

Jennie
11-14-2010, 08:16 PM
rotf, You must be exhausted!!

two utes
11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
And to think, I was excited to catch this guy...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x144/fozzie04/Fishies/fishin.jpg

LOL...didn't you know that its much harder to catch small fish than bigger fish? Next time take a close look at their mouth. Haha

vera
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
LOL, Vera, just saw your big fish catch! Funny:)

LOL DL , could feed whole family ...of discus with that one :D

vera
11-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Stacey , if we join forces we might catch something decent ,so far our catch looks more like bait :o LOL

cooksa
11-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Stacey , if we join forces we might catch something decent ,so far our catch looks more like bait :o LOL

:thumbsup: I'd give it a go. That water looks BEAUTIFUL!

I caught the most fish that day. No one ever said they had to be "keepers". So I set myself up with a bobber. Dropped that puppy right off the side of the boat. :D

Jennie
11-15-2010, 10:26 PM
If you left it there, something bigger might have come along! I remember I caught a fish once, was reeling it in and then a gator took my fish! Broke my pole. :( was def. hard to real that in!

two utes
02-11-2011, 10:22 PM
If you left it there, something bigger might have come along! I remember I caught a fish once, was reeling it in and then a gator took my fish! Broke my pole. :( was def. hard to real that in!

It's funny you should say that Jennie.
Just recently, one of the local fishing show presenters came across this situation.

Anyone that knows Al McGlashan, or watches his 'Strikezone' dvd's, or fishing shows, would know that on occasion Al likes to get in the water for some underwater footage to share with his viewers.
Well on this occasion, while fishing out from Port Stephen's, North of Sydney in N.S.W, Al got more than what he was expecting.

Check out the attached news report.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-act/escaping-the-jaws-of-a-monster/story-e6freuzi-1226004017898

:)

[/url]64850

keef
02-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Can't believe I missed this thread 1st time around! Some awesome shots there Joe! And Vera, that Mackeral must have give you sore arm muscles for days afterwards! ;)

vera
02-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Lol Keith, was in agony and couldnt even keep a spoon in my hand for whole week:) any fishing trips u went on while in Aussie land ?
Joe , that story is terrifying , have u had such situations yrself

Jennie
02-12-2011, 09:36 PM
It happens! I was pissed though cause the pole broke! oh well. at least save the reel! he can have the pole! and fish!!!!!
It's funny you should say that Jennie.
Just recently, one of the local fishing show presenters came across this situation.

Anyone that knows Al McGlashan, or watches his 'Strikezone' dvd's, or fishing shows, would know that on occasion Al likes to get in the water for some underwater footage to share with his viewers.
Well on this occasion, while fishing out from Port Stephen's, North of Sydney in N.S.W, Al got more than what he was expecting.

Check out the attached news report.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-act/escaping-the-jaws-of-a-monster/story-e6freuzi-1226004017898

:)

[/url]64850

dbfzurowski
02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
oh i cant wait for spring fishing

TURQ64
02-16-2011, 07:43 PM
When home, I live on a lake on the Minnesota/ South Dakota border..Great fishin' around here..When not here, I'm aboard ship sailing either fresh or salt water..The pirate ship is loaded with heavy ocean tackle, and light freshwater stuff....as much as we like nailing bass or 'gills in freshwater for lunch, it's really a thrill offshore in a square-rigger, hooking into a nice tuna, and since you're under sail, you can't stop, so you are trying to boat the big sucker at five or six knots!...really a ride...Yup, I like fishin'..!

two utes
02-17-2011, 06:08 AM
it's really a thrill offshore in a square-rigger, hooking into a nice tuna, and since you're under sail, you can't stop, so you are trying to boat the big sucker at five or six knots!...really a ride...Yup, I like fishin'..!

Its hard enough getting them up when stationary let alone doing 5 knots. You getting Yellowfin or Bluefin? would love to see some pics of them....and your 'pirate ship'

TURQ64
02-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Yellowfin....Yeah, it's a blast! We never get hardly any 'underway' photo's..most of the time, whoever's crewing have their hands full of ship functions...Tons of photo's on FB under 'Privateer Royaliste','Privateer!', or either of our websites... www.PrivateerInc.org or www.TheRoyaliste.com Also watch 'True Carribean Pirates' on the History Channel...Gary

jarret8x
02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
I love fishing. I go bass fishing all the time. Usually aleast
3 times a week.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TURQ64
02-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Last summer, touring the Great Lakes with other Tallships, we got some decent variety....Muskie on Lake Ontario (St. Lawrence), Walleyes on Lake Erie, and on the leg from Port Huron, to Green Bay, we got into some nice Lake Huron wild salmon....really a treat grilling them aboard for the next week!..

kendrid
02-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Here is the first fish my son caught last spring. It caught it with a Spiderman fishing pole in a local retention pond with a worm he dug out the the ground himself (my son and daughter love to dig up worms and then go fishing). By the time we got it in we had a nice crowd and a nice gentleman with a net and scale helped get it in. The fish was 18.5 lbs.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3343/4623348278_9f9c0291da.jpg

two utes
02-27-2011, 07:15 PM
WOW! l can only imagine how excited your son and daughter were with that catch, especial after digging up their own bait too. Not to mention a proud parent by their side as well.
Looks like some sort of carp, and at 18.5 lb would have given him a few runs and tense moments. Well done!!

Would love to see more photo of everyone catches. Its not about the size, but the thrill of the catch.

Ardan
02-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Wow! I haven't been through this thread in a while. There is some really wild fishing going on!
I also really like it when the kids get involved:cool::cool:
And the most important thing is getting out and having fun! Looks like a lot of you are really having fun.:)
Now I have spring/summer fever LOL:bandana::grin:

Ardan

two utes
02-27-2011, 07:36 PM
I also really like it when the kids get involved:cool::cool:
And the most important thing is getting out and having fun! Looks like a lot of you are really having fun.:)
Now I have spring/summer fever LOL:bandana::grin:

Ardan

Hi Ardan.
I suppose its nearly time for you to get out there with your boys, chasing those fine salmon and trout on the lake?
Nothing's better than watching kids catching their first fish, and getting into the sport. In my opinion its much better time spent than playing indoor games on the T.V or computer.

obsessed
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
heres a few catch and releases, a flyrod double of 20# Louisiana redfish, 32" kansas walleye, and a 2# seagull on a topwater plug (no pic of the pelican i once landed),
spring is around the corner thank God!
Paul

Jennie
02-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Hey Paul, what's with the seagull!??

two utes
02-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi Paul.
Thanks for the pics.
Those redfish have big shoulders on them, and look like they would go pretty hard on fly gear.
How big did the seagull go? :p

obsessed
02-27-2011, 08:39 PM
thanks 2 utes,
the seagull, while not an intentional catch Jennie, went at least 16# !!!! ;P
the reds are great flyrod flats fishing critters, so awesome to see them chase down a fly and smash it...... we beat them pretty quick using 25# tippet on 10wt rods - a 15-20# in 5 minutes or so and 30# in 10-15 minutes, we give em hell, and use 6 - 8 wt on the under 30" fish back in the marsh "ponds" and topwater flies.
Actually a 25# eating a topwater on an 8wt is great!!!
we see 40-50# but have yet to get one to eat (poor casts in the excitement mainly, and they don't hang around for you to make a second cast, plus the water is not very clear, so you don't usually have much time to creep up on them, they magically appear !!)
The "smaller " ones can be pretty stupid.
heres some 28-32#6514265143

Ardan
02-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Two Utes,
Still at least 3 months here, still snow all over the place.
It will be just one son and I now as the other is working in Idaho.
I am looking forward to it. Last year I could not get out once due to a couple spinal surgeries. But all went well and I plan on getting out there at least some. Depends a bit on gas prices too though.

Two Utes, that is some serious fishing you do! Wow

Turq64
Those tall ships have gone right past us while we were fishing near Milwaukee a couple yrs ago I think it was. Don't know if it is the same ones as you are on, but it was an impressive sight!

Ardan

two utes
02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Two Utes,

I am looking forward to it. Last year I could not get out once due to a couple spinal surgeries. But all went well and I plan on getting out there at least some. Depends a bit on gas prices too though.

Ardan

Glad to hear that your surgeries went well and that you are on the mend. Hopefull all will work out with fuel prices, and that you can get out for a fish soon. I know what you mean....it all adds up
Cheers.
Joe

goodoo
02-28-2011, 04:35 AM
I love fishing. My dad made me build my first rod and dragged me down the beach at 3 in the morning. Will have to sort out some photos. I love fishing for Murray cod in my local favourite river. This year my strike rate is really high 4 trips 3 Cod. My best effort a 30pound monster its head was bigger than mine, never weighed him but he was atleast 70cent long Not many people know how good the fishing is here and I keep it that way. I also love fishing for Tailer of the rocks. A 5kilo jewie of the rocks is my best rock fishing. Have caught big trout to, havent caught a big one on fly yet though. I know im bragging but good fisherman are allowed to. When I get my own boat Im shore ill get a marlin just dont like going out in other peoples boats so I havent done much ofshore fishing.

two utes
03-05-2011, 04:26 AM
I love fishing for Murray cod in my local favourite river. This year my strike rate is really high 4 trips 3 Cod. My best effort a 30pound monster its head was bigger than mine, never weighed him but he was atleast 70cent long Not many people know how good the fishing is here and I keep it that way.

Thats a good size murray cod. I would love to see any pics you may have.
We come through Canberra, when we head to Bateman's Bay with the boat in tow to get our yearly marlin fix. Though the last couple of trip we've headed further north to Jervis Bay. Certainly some great fishing opportunities up your way, but don't know of any in Canberra. Well kept secret :)

two utes
04-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Just got back from a few days fishing for tuna at Portland, about a 5 hour drive from where l live.
We heard that Albacore Tuna were being caught, and all l can say is that they don't call them the 'Chicken of the sea' for nothing. Had some for dinner tonight and can highly recommend it.
My son caught his first Blufin tuna as well weighing aroung 15kg. Always good spending time on the water, but when one of your kids outfish you.....well that's priceles.....though l did have to put up with all the stirring the whole 5 hours trip back home.

Hope you enjoy some photos from our trip

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/p4-2.jpg
50km run out to the spot in awesome conditions....also priceless

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/p5-2.jpg
My son Mathew's first Blufin Tuna

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/t1.jpg
My nephew with an Albacore

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/p8.jpg
Yours truely with a small albacore...best eating size ;)

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/t2.jpg
Lures that worked on the day

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/t5.jpg
Buisy at the cleaning tables

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/t5.jpg
Standing room only

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/p1-2.jpg
these wind generators are scattered all along the coast, but lucky for us wind was down to a mininum for our trip

vera
04-18-2011, 07:07 AM
What agreat trip Joe !
i trully envy u , dad is promissing me a fishing trip at river , hope we can make it :)
was looking at Albacore and Tuna are they different ?

two utes
04-18-2011, 07:41 AM
What agreat trip Joe !
i trully envy u , dad is promissing me a fishing trip at river , hope we can make it :)
was looking at Albacore and Tuna are they different ?

The major difference is that the albacore have very long pec' fins, which nearly looks like wings on a plane or bird. On Blufin tuna the pec' fins are very short...take another look at the pics :)
Hope you make it on the river, and good times with you dad.

calihawker
04-18-2011, 09:39 AM
How fun! I've only been out fishing on the ocean one time and it was a blast.
Cheers!

Steve-O

vera
04-18-2011, 09:51 AM
The major difference is that the albacore have very long pec' fins, which nearly looks like wings on a plane or bird. On Blufin tuna the pec' fins are very short...take another look at the pics :)
Hope you make it on the river, and good times with you dad.
me too , tnx :)

atitagain
04-18-2011, 10:16 AM
I fish Lake Michigan a lot and some of the inland rivers in Illinois.

Here's a couple decent fish.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/2fish/albums/userpics/10001/7-29-04king.jpg

http://www.chitown-angler.com/2fish/albums/userpics/10001/lm1.gif

http://www.chitown-angler.com/2fish/albums/userpics/10001/One%20nice%20steelie%20MH.jpg

William Palumbo
04-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Nice fish atitagain!...Like the last pic of the Steelie. I love the cold water Salmon/Trout/Steelhead fishing. Tho I mostly beat the shoreline, I do get out on a Kayak trolling/casting around. I love "Brownies", and these two were my biggest so far...Bill

atitagain
04-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Very nice browns. Let me know if ever you want to head North to get out.

I slip in Waukegan.

This is a brown from the Root River, a stones throw from the weir.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/2fish/albums/userpics/10001/Excellent%20river%20Brown.jpg

William Palumbo
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
NICE!...Never fished the Root. Been there a few times. But fished the Pike in Kenosha. My Browns came from Racine harbor...Bill

two utes
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
How fun! I've only been out fishing on the ocean one time and it was a blast.
Cheers!

Steve-O

Fishing is lots of fun Steve....Do you remember what you caught? Photos?

calihawker
04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Fishing is lots of fun Steve....Do you remember what you caught? Photos?

No pics but I pulled in 2 of the 4 albacore caught that day. There were also a bunch of rock fish, 2 really big blue lings and a halibut. Really great day. Off the nor-cal coast around shelter cove mendocino.

Steve-O

laborelch
04-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes, I do like fishing. Fly-fishing both fresh and saltwater. Tie my own flies.
Gunpowder brown (pathetic picture warning :D): http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/23214/2379445770059391507S600x600Q85.jpg
Kent Island striper:http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/47049/2764492220059391507S600x600Q85.jpg
Yesterday's throwback (local pond): http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/45714/2357351700059391507S600x600Q85.jpg

scottthomas
04-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Some great Fishing stories and pictures.

Its almost striper season here. I cant wait. I catch 5-30lb stripes all summer long from my canoe on a local river. Very few people know about the excellent striper fishery here. Even people that have lived on the river for years dont realize that there are monsters in the shallow waters. a blast on medium spinning gear and topwater plugs from a canoe. I'll post some pics soon.

two utes
04-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Appart fromthe fact that l love fishing, l also love the opportunities it gives me to travel, especial with my life long partner, Rita.
I'd like to share a recent trip we did together to New Zealand.

When my wife Rita asked me if we could go to New Zealand for her birthday, l said "Yes dear, I know just the place". I just could break her heart and say no. Grin

With the recent devestation that occured with the earthquakes on the South Island, l thought that it would be best to fly to Auckland and travel north to the Bay Of Islands, a place that l read so much about when l first got into game fishing, and have always wanted to visit.
Now even though my intension was to do some fishing there, l also wanted to make it a pleasurable trip for Rita.
We spent some time in Auckland and went on a Whale Watching trip to the Hauraki Gulf, which only produced lots of feeding dolphines, and spectacular sights of Gannets diving in for a feed, and also massive flocks of Little Shearwaters.

A short stopover at Pakiri Beach on the way north, gave us a chance to go on a trail ride.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/a3.jpg

I was having a great time, and so was Rita, as we made our way to the Bay of Islands. We arrived there mid afternoon, and did some sight seeing during which time l recieved a call from Andrew at Anglers Anonymous that our charter was cancelled due to bad weather, and would see if an opportunity presented itself during our time there

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/a9.jpg

The views from the Waitangi National Reserve were spectacular as was Haruru Falls

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/b2-3.jpg

We spent the next day sight seeing the area, and took the car ferry across to Russell, where l knew the Bay of Islands Swordfishing Club was situated.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/b3-1.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/b4-1.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/d3-1.jpg

We were supposed to be out fishing this day, but still managed to view some game fish, and souvineer shopping, so all was going well.

Back at our hotel, l gave Andrew a call to see how the next day was looking, and luckily enough we were going to have a window of opportunity and go out on his 9 metre heavily modified Craig Loomes, the same designer of the well known New Zealand boat 'Ultimate Lady'

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/b6-1.jpg

The conditions in the morning were perfect for the runout to 'Stoney Point', and we stopped for a short live bait gathering session which quickly filled our tank with yakkas up to the 300 mm mark. Before too long we were drifting over some king fish grounds using shakespear ugly sticks with shimano TLD 25 reels spool with 37kg mono....and in a very short time could see why.

These Kingfish pull hard, and are not called the 'hoodlems of the sea' for nothing. Rita bought in the first Kingfish to the boat, her first kingfish and around the 14kg mark.....She was wrapped!!

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/b9-2.jpg

It wasn't long after that l had a hit, only to loose it the a 2 metre long bronze whaler, and another attempt that saw me busted up on the rocks below. In the meantime Louie for San Diego bought in a nice 20kg model.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/c1.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/c2.jpg

Rita had a grin on here face suggesting that she might out fish me on this trip, but it soon turned a bit yellow, when the wind stirred things up a bit, which had her producing some burely over the side for us. What a way to spend her birthday

I asked our chef at our hotel whether he would cook our catch, and he obliged, but until this time we hadn't kept any of our fish, and some even caught jigging with butterfly knife jigs. Things had slowed up a bit around mid day, but with limited time left l dropped down another 'livie' to catch another Kingfish to keep for a feed, weighing in at around 18kg, and my P.B Kingfish to date.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/c3.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/c5.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/c4.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/c7.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/c8.jpg

Happy Birthday Rita

All in all, we had a great time.....and the beer and fresh oysters where good as well

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/a4-1.jpg

mmorris
04-30-2011, 12:16 AM
I haven't fished in quite some time but I really enjoyed it. The salmon fishing was out of this world in the Queen Charlotte Islands. I took steelhead fishing as a PE course when I was an undergraduate but I got a B - I'm sure it's because I didn't catch a fish on the field trip. :waaa: I'm a firm believer in eat-what-you-catch. Otherwise, don't fish.

vera
04-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Welcome back Joe , seems like a wonderful trip and a great Bday gift for Rita ! what can b better then to see loved ones happy :)
I hope Rita was first " wrapped!!" and now hooked on fishing !LOL
great story thank u for sharing !

two utes
01-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Hi Guys and Gals.
Hope this little post finds you all well. We are enjoying summer here at the moment and enjoying what our bay has to offer this time of year. Mainly snapper, squid, and whitting are caught now, but its alway great to be on the water dangling a line whatever the outcome.

I just wanted to share a short video clips from my recent trip to Cairns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6aPqWetOE

I'm very excited about a few trips l have planned for the new year. The main one being to Panama where l'm going with a friend from Los Angles to fish 'Tropic Star Lodge', which is right at the top of my Bucket list. You can check out what this place is all about here......

http://www.facebook.com/tropicstarlodge?ref=ts&fref=ts

I was in America last year and put in my request to do this trip, and l'm so excited about it comming together. While l was in Los Angeles, and also Ft Lauderdale Florida, l was given the opportunity to enjoy catching some new species.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and that 2013 also brings you all some great fishing adventures.

Tight Lines.

Joe

some picture of what l've been up to.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/trip%20to%20america/39.jpg
My go at Giant Tarpon in ft Lauderdale

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/trip%20to%20america/2.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/trip%20to%20america/1.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/trip%20to%20america/2a.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/trip%20to%20america/5.jpg

Various other new species in Los Angles

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/trip%20to%20america/31.jpg
a visit to the IGFA museum in Florida

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/trip%20to%20america/28.jpg
Me and the hooter girls in Vegas.....OOPS...how did this get in here Wink

Some recent fishing out fron Cairns in Qeensland Australia

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/lizard%20island%202011/297382_2305699915328_1034170615_2622958_66877528_n .jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/lizard%20island%202011/a3.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/lizard%20island%202011/PB130326.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/lizard%20island%202011/PB210417.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions, and please share some of your fishing moments on here.

Cheers.

P.S. Vera, Rita was very happy with her catch untill she turned green and started throwing up. She was a real trooper though, and did ask to be taken back ashore

two utes
01-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Just another little clip of us having fun catching juvinille black marlin on a boat called 'Pirate'.....and we also dressed up for the occasion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdESED6tzPY

DiscusLoverJeff
01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Umm, I have one question. did you go to Hooters for the wings or the girls?

Great pictures. I love fishing and last year I went deep sea fishing off the Channel Islands in California. What a great experience.

two utes
01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Umm, I have one question. did you go to Hooters for the wings or the girls?

Great pictures. I love fishing and last year I went deep sea fishing off the Channel Islands in California. What a great experience.

Who can resist 25c chicken wings after midnight?.......though the girls were very pleasant.
What did you end up catching while deep sea fishing?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
We caught Ling Cod and Red Snappers mostly. I must say that the first day they had a $5.00 a person pot for the biggest and I happened to reel in the biggest Ling Cod (possibly 20 lbs, will find picture) and it was the last catch of the day right before they said "reel em up."

Next fishing trip will be for Halibut possibly.

Nice marlin in the above pictures. How much did it weigh in at?

two utes
01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Awesome! Well Done. Looking forward to seeing the pics. while in Los Angles my mate took me out to St.Clements Island. Was a super calm day for the long run out. He was suprised with the smallish size cod we caught there, but l was happy for they were all firsts for me. He's the Guy l'm going to Panmama with in July, and even though blue, and black marlin are on the cards, l'm looking forward to catching my first rooster fish....can't wait

DiscusLoverJeff
01-10-2013, 12:00 PM
That sounds like it will be an awesome trip. Hope you catch what you are looking for. But, I would be inclined to think a marlin would be a dream catch for me or anyone, lol.

Lots of pictures.

Tommy Saville
01-10-2013, 12:35 PM
My wife and I fly-fish for Atlantic salmon in the Dee river in Scotland. Fish up to 20lbs. But not when we had the camera with us!

DiscusLoverJeff
01-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Never went fly fishing, although I always wanted to try it. I hear it can become very expensive especially making your own flys. But hey, whats not expensive in the hobby world.

bonginator
01-11-2013, 02:09 AM
Never went fly fishing, although I always wanted to try it. I hear it can become very expensive especially making your own flys. But hey, whats not expensive in the hobby world.

Jeff - now you are into talking about my addiction! If you have always wanted to go, you should try it. Fly fishing really doesn't have to be expensive. You can get into it with a used rod/reel outfit, some waders and wading boots and a small box of flies. It takes you to some beautiful places and you meet all sorts of wonderful people in the sport. If you ever find yourself in Colorado, look me up. I'd be more than happy to introduce you to it!

Sandy

two utes
01-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Would love to hear about some of your adventures Sandy. Are you chasing trout, or other species? Its something l'd like to get into one day, when l'm ready to dedicate alot of time to it.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Here was my $110.00 winning fish,

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/DiscusJeff/DSC00658_zps9231fbf0.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/DiscusJeff/DSC00654_zps7a67887e.jpg

two utes
01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Nice Ling Cod Jeff....you gotto be happy with winning the cash. Good stuff!

pastry
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
I was just about to post pics of redfish that made me feel like ron jeremy at moments... then i saw two utes' "elephant trunk" of a marlin... followed by another large marlin... followed by another... and another... good grief. That's it, I'm starting a thread that's called, "Post your Fish Pics... as long as you aren't as good as Two Utes... damn't" ;)

kidding my friend. looooved your fish stories and pics along with the others. thanks so much for creating this thread... years ago... and I apologize for just realizing it!

bonginator
01-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Would love to hear about some of your adventures Sandy. Are you chasing trout, or other species? Its something l'd like to get into one day, when l'm ready to dedicate alot of time to it.

Chasing trout primarily with a few steelhead periodically. Here are some photos from some of my fly fishing adventures. As you can see, it is about the scenery and people as much as the fish... Enjoy.

Photos in order - Lupine in Homer, AK, Dolly Varden caught on Kenai, Approaching the Kenai River with drift boat Sept, Fat brown trout from Big Thompson in CO, Rocky Mtn National Park Moraine Valley view.

bonginator
01-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Photos in order - AK brown bear (grizz), Longs Peak CO in the fall, My float tube on Lily Lake in Rocky Mtn National Park, CO, and a "twofer" of rainbows caught on the Kenai in AK at the same time from a drift boat.

7731277313773147731577316Here are a few more..

bonginator
01-11-2013, 09:55 PM
773177731877319And a few others. As you can see fly fishing can be beautiful and fun!

Photos in order - Rainbow behind my Airstream in Rocky Mtn National Park, Grizzly eating salmon in AK, Upper Big Thompson River in Moraine Valley RMNP CO (one of my favorite spots to fly fish)

How do y'all get your photos to show up in full view within your post?

pastry
01-11-2013, 10:07 PM
bonginator, if i start a thread, you aren't allowed to post either... good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k!!! thanks for the pics! will have to forward your pics to my brother who started off as our typical family salt water fisherman-turned-fly fisherman. He's dreamed of exactly what you posted. i'm starting to forget that this isn't my charlestonfishing.com site but SDD!!!!!!!!!

two utes
01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Wow bonginator, those pictures are awesome! Not only the fish you catch, but the magnificent scenery and fantastic wildlife. Would be a touch scarey fishing among wild bears....the only thing l have to contend with with some of my fresh water fishing is crocidiles..YIKES!
I download all my photos in 'Photobucket' It also allows editing and adding of titles and such if you wish. Its then just a matter of copying the link of the picture on your post wherever you wish.

pastry, pastry, pastry....please dont feel intimadated by my big fish photos. Its all about the gear you use to catch them, whether its a 1000lb marlin or a 1lb trout, its all good fun, and gets me out in the great outdoors.

So come on......show us what you've been catching.

pastry
01-11-2013, 10:45 PM
two utes, I'm a 31 year old prior Marine that kept in shape yet you make me feel like you're flushing out a 75 year old naked woman from the back of a cave into the sunlight...

anyhow, feel like I'm trying to show my wife how my "minnow" compares to a "whale shark"... wow... I guess I have some real confidence issues when posting in your thread. how could I love you and hate you at the same time!!!

bonginator
01-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Wow bonginator, those pictures are awesome! Not only the fish you catch, but the magnificent scenery and fantastic wildlife. Would be a touch scarey fishing among wild bears....the only thing l have to contend with with some of my fresh water fishing is crocidiles.

Yes - the two biggest threats I have run into are bears, elk, and moose when fly fishing. The encounters are not frequent but when they happen, they are exciting to say the least. That grizzly was probably 20 yards away and at one point, he started to stand up and gnash his teeth. All of the fisherman around us started yelling and banging things and he backed down. I also noticed several folks fishing with handguns and rifles that day.

I do love the beauty of the places that I've visited while fly fishing and he very nice people that I have met. If you have any interest, give it a try. It is really not hard to learn... Glad you enjoyed the photos.

bonginator
01-11-2013, 11:43 PM
bonginator, if i start a thread, you aren't allowed to post either... good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k!!! thanks for the pics! will have to forward your pics to my brother who started off as our typical family salt water fisherman-turned-fly fisherman. He's dreamed of exactly what you posted. i'm starting to forget that this isn't my charlestonfishing.com site but SDD!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Great thread. I have enjoyed everyone's photos. I was a bait and lure fisherman for years but once I tried fly fishing, I was hooked! (no pun intended.)

pastry
01-12-2013, 12:19 AM
yep, i never would've thought my brother (or anyone in my family & extended family) would turn into a fly fisherman but it ended up being therapeutic to him when rehabilitating from combat related injuries. now he supports "healing waters" up in d.c./northern va area. my style here in south carolina (after learning from my fishing family in NJ for stripers over a century of striper fishing history) has been the lazy style of cut mullet on the bottom with a number 5 circle hook. ugly set up but cheap and easy to quickly re-rig since i'm fishing docks/structure.

i laughed at everyone here when i got out of the marine corps but then realized my northern "skills" didn't do squat down here. i've grown to appreciate the simplicity of rigs here. i don't fish offshore much anymore due to the shelf being so damn far out but still ONLY fish saltwater.

pastry
01-12-2013, 12:20 AM
...and a decent sized red will make a medium (inshore saltwater) set up look like it snagged a freight train! i'd say "cheap thrill" but hundreds of freak'n guides make a living on it!

DerekFF
01-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Bong you're really making me miss fly fishing. Did tons in high school, few years after that. Then now I ran off and got married and bought a house. But at 26 years old owning a house I'd say I'm doing alright lol. It's definitely on my must get back into again ASAP. Float tubes are the greatest. I've fallen asleep a few times on the lake it's so relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoiseDiscusGuy
01-12-2013, 01:55 AM
I am originally from So. Cal and loved the off shore fishing available. There is nothing better than big game fishing. I now reside in Idaho and the only big game fishing is for White Sturgeon in the Snake River. These are magnificant creatures. Not only are they virtually unchanged in millions of years, they are brute power in a fish. Often leaping several feet out of the water upon hookset. I've caught hundreds of these fish from 3-9ft. The pictured fish is my personal best and was 9 ft long. Approx. 325 lbs. and put up a 90 min battle. Caught near Swan Falls Idaho, and nearly spooled my Penn 4/0 Senator. Estimated age of this fish is 100+ years and even though they are protected and must be released, I wouldnt think of killing a 100 year old fish! I catch and release eveything to live and fight another day...
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk184/carphunter420/9ftr.jpg

bonginator
01-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Bong you're really making me miss fly fishing. Did tons in high school, few years after that. Then now I ran off and got married and bought a house. But at 26 years old owning a house I'd say I'm doing alright lol. It's definitely on my must get back into again ASAP. Float tubes are the greatest. I've fallen asleep a few times on the lake it's so relaxing.

26 and own your own house. I'd say you are doing great! Yes - float tubes are wonderful. So peaceful and relaxing! Hope you get back into it soon. Thanks for commenting..

two utes
01-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Thanks for your post and picture of the White Sturgeon Chris. That things a beast, and l can imagine how hard it was to land off the bank, particularly with snags around. What bait do you use to catch them? Or are you using a lure?

BoiseDiscusGuy
01-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Yes it is very tricky to land the very large fish. Trying to keep them free of snags and also keep them out of the fast water as they like to use the river current to their advantage. This particular fish had 5 broke off rigs trailing from its mouth and gillplate. After a few minutes to remove them and snap a quick pic, it was released a happy camper...Many baits are effective. Usually a forage fish of the river ( suckers, small trout, bass etc) are good bait. My favorite bait though is definitely not a river native. Pickled Herring for some reason is an outstanding bait, although I dont know why as it smells terrible, lol, but they seem to love it.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Nice looking fish guys. From the trout to the mighty white sturgeon, you all have had some awesome adventures!

Well if things go well this year, they maybe some bass fish in Kentucky Lake, and some sturgeon fishing on the Wisconsin River (only allowed to sturegeon fish once or twice a year and limit is one).

I must say though, fly fishing in Colorado looks awesome, well with the exception of the grizzy. I am a Chicago boy, closest thing we see to wild life like that is the Chicago Bears, Lol.

Allan8100
01-24-2013, 12:31 PM
My uncle also caught really large fish at this weekend.I can't imagine this...really done nice job.He is also love fish hunting.
http://www.oregonhuntfish.com/Fishing/SixesSalmon.jpg
No doubt performing outstanding job...

two utes
02-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your contribution to this thread Allan. That's an awesome catch especially from the banks. Would have been great seeing that after hookup, dashing through the shallows. I'd love to experiance that myself some day, and one of the reasons l'm enjoying my fishing lots more nowadays, as it gives me te opportunity to try many different things while visiting new and exciting destinations....not to mention the great people l meet and make friends with along the way.

As l mentioned a while back,while in America last April, l caught up with my mate Bill who is the editor of Pacific Coast Sportsfishing Magazine. While complimenting the magnificent photos he shot during his visit to Tropic Star Lodge in Panama, where he frequently visits, he asked me if l would be interested in accompanying him there on his next trip?
HELLO! Yes please was my quick response. To say l was very excitied about the invite is an understatement.

Check out thier website: http://www.tropicstar.com/

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/billflydolphine_zpse57b3532.jpghttp://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/billtuna_zps8033ad72.jpg

Bill And his Dad Bill Snr in action

Well just before christmas Bill contacted me to see if l was still interested in doing the trip in July? Let me just say that my tickets are booked, and my bag partialy packed

I managed to convince my wife Rita, my daughter Rachel, her now five year old daughter Izzy, and my son Mathew in doing a weak together where we plan to spend some more time in Hollywood, and Disneyland, before we part ways. The family is going to spend some time in San Diego, and that's when l'll be off with Bill to Panama. Then meet back home in Australia.....Hopefully

Extract form Tropic star lodge Facebook 'Tropic Star Lodge is a veritable paradise cut out of the side of a mountain at the edge of the Darien Jungle on the Pacific coast of Panama, a superstar among the world’s big-game fishing destinations. '
http://www.facebook.com/tropicstarlodge

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/dolphinefish_zps0ac1cc6f.jpg
Dolphine Fish

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/385051_10152167737695508_2118754256_n_zpsb4e218e5. jpg
Rooster Fish

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/cuberasnapper_zps658cf851.jpg
Cubera Snapper

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/246527_10151848345300508_1693874762_n_zps569f1876. jpg
Almaco Jack

My trip coincides with Tropic Star Lodge's 50th Anniversarry, so l'm sure its going to be a special time to be there.
Apart from the fantastic Black, and Blue marlin fishing opportuinities, l really hope to be able to catch and release some Big Bull Dolphine fish, Rooster Fish, Cubera Snapper, and Almaco Jacks

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/fleet_zpsfa5ec7cc.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/549497_10151957543295508_1354433766_n_zps929c4a18. jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/485839_10152091779185508_344590454_n_zpsd0603f45.j pg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/406287_10151981922220508_1634966086_n_zpse9cef6d2. jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/47638_10152386732325508_1746642913_n_zps1845d12b.j pg

They run a fleet of 31' Bertrams all painted in different floral colors and named after different countries. I'm hoping to score 'Miss Australia'

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/bigblack-cover2a_zpsde6dcc8c.jpg

Cant wait to share my report, and hopefully obtain some great pictures and video footage to share with you all on here....can't wait till July

If anyone one here has had any expeiance catching any of the inshore species l mentioned above, l'd really love to hear about it.

Cheers.

Joe

pastry
02-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Uuggghhhhh... this sucks to look at after spending a day in the Charleston, SC harbor scouting out new redfish and sheepshead spots without a bite. I hate you and envy you all at the same time, joe. (I could've said "jealous" but that would be an understatement). If you ever get the itch to go for some sheepshead (atlantic sheepshead; aka "convicts") and you're near my side of the globe then let me know. One of those fish that rob you blind but when you do get hook into one then it surprises you so fast that you have a 50/50 chance of a shart. Here's to clean britches my friend...

two utes
02-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Uuggghhhhh... this sucks to look at after spending a day in the Charleston, SC harbor scouting out new redfish and sheepshead spots without a bite.

Glad to hear that you're getting out there and having a go.......Remember that its all about the journey....not the fish.
Thanks for the invite, you just never know. Catching Atlantic Sheepshead would be a blast, and an opportunity to make a new friend.

fisher
02-03-2013, 09:45 AM
fishing in sharm elshiekh red sea egypt ........ my kids with Catching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PwHJk-n-43E

two utes
02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks for sharing that little clip fisher. Nice way to show some photos. Those fish look like top table quality. Good seeing the kids getting involved, and hopefully will continue to enjoy fishing.

two utes
12-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Please vote for my picture......

Hi everyone.
My marlin picture is on the short list for winning a small competition on Marlin Magazine.
If you have time...and you like my picture could you please click on the link and 'Like' my photo.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=6cbfb4571e

We actually satellite tagged this 1000lb plus Black Marlin while fishing the Lizard Island Black Marlin Classic near Cairns in Australia, and the marlin was released in good condition to continue its breeding cyle.

Thanks for voting.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/m3-3.jpg (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/m3-3.jpg.html)

Regards.

joe

pastry
12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Love seeing that, joe. Great picture! I don't have FB but may get on my wife's FB later and vote.

sdrexler078
12-06-2013, 01:34 PM
It says link unavailable or don't have permissions so I can't vote

Discus-n00b
12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I'd kill to go Marlin fishing, i've never been before but its on the bucket list.....or to catch a Dolphin like this, WOW! Super jealous!!

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/dolphinefish_zps0ac1cc6f.jpg

Nick Klimkowski
12-06-2013, 03:46 PM
that Dolphin is beautiful a few years ago we went out deep sea fishing the biggest one we ever caught was 2-3 feet nothing like that nice job.

-Nick

pastry
12-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Matt, link up with me in the spring. Wouldn't be hard, my fellow jarhead. I go inshore on my little boat (reds, sheepshead, flounder, trout, etc) but have another former jarhead (best bud here; retired MGuns... I got out as junior Captain) and we always need a third. Mahi run hard here best in the spring (and still around summer & fall). Around late March through early June. We split up gas and that's about it. I have a vacuum sealer to make sure you'd go home with meat preserved for awhile. Usually get Mahi, Wahoo, blackfin, maybe a king mackerel, and may bottom bump for triggers, pinkies, etc. The only two stipulations we'd put on you is (1) don't cancel last moment and (2) weather is so unpredictable that time of year so while we'd plan in advance, we may not cancel until the day before if forced to by the weather... so have the "semper gumbi" mentality. If interested, shoot me a PM boss.

I'd kill to go Marlin fishing, i've never been before but its on the bucket list.....or to catch a Dolphin like this, WOW! Super jealous!!

two utes
12-07-2013, 10:43 PM
It says link unavailable or don't have permissions so I can't vote

Thanks for trying guys, i really appreciate it, though it looks like l'm way behind the other contestents...oh well, just a bit of fun.

It was a Black Marlin Photo contest which has come down to the last five, held on 'Marlin Magazine' Facebook page.

You might be able to pick it up on this link.

https://www.facebook.com/marlinmag?fref=ts

We actually caught all the footage of this marlin being sat tagged, and broke two tag poles and nearly hit our deckie, just recently during the Lizard Island Black Marlin Classic....check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7_s4kJf5Y&feature=c4-overview&list=UUqSbcCCjQnh3Yfxs3-v80Kg

Cheers.

two utes
12-07-2013, 11:05 PM
I've just returned from my trip to Tropic Star Lodge in Panama, and all l can say is that it was amazing. Apperently the fishing was not that hot, but l didn't notice that. Apart from the fishing the service provided by the lodge was fantastic, and started from the minute we stepped of the plane in Panama City. We were placed in a lounge, and drank beer while our bags were collected, and they also helped us clear customs

l was invited by my friend Bill DePriest the editer of South Coast Sportsfishing magazine, to join him and his dad , also named Bill.

I purchased a new camera for this trip with a 42X zoom, and had plenty of things to photograph along the way. As a matter if interest its a Nikon Coolpix P150, and it really served its purpose on this trip, and many more to come.

I'll get right into some of the hundreds of photos l took, with some descriptions along the way.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/2.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/2.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/1.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/1.png.html)

The lodge also orginised this tour to the Panama Canal before we were taken to our hotel before our departure to the lodge the next morning

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/3.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/3.png.html)

We couldnt pass by a quick stop over at Hooters in Panama City, for thier finger lick'n chiken wings

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/4.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/4.png.html)

Tropic star lodge owns 30,000 acres, on which they built thier own little airport, as there are not any roads within 150 miles. People flew in with thier private jets, and others like us came in with a hopper plane organised by them.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/6.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/6.png.html)

Once we landed we had a short ride in thier truck to the beach and loaded up into long boats for a short trip to Pinas Bay.....the adventure virtualy began straight away.
Bill had been there a few times before and pointed out lots of things that l would be interested in. The first being leaf cutter ants, and heaps of other things that l've only ever seen on National Geographic.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/29.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/29.png.html)

The bugs there were huge, and we collected a couple of the female Rhino Beetles for closer inspection

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/20.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/20.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/21.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/21.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/22.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/22.png.html)

We were taken to the lodge where we were given wet face washers to freshen up, and served drinks on the patio to take in the magnificent view

Albert the fishing director gave us a spill on the fishing there at the time, and just made me more excited about being there. Rooms were allocated to us, and dinners and lunch orders taken. After a few beers l was keen to get to my room, where our suitcases were already waiting....what a fantastic introduction to Tropic Star Lodge.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/10.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/10.png.html)

The next morning l was woken by a knock at the door, and opened it to find Patterson, with my morning cup of coffee...just the way l like it.
I stepped out on my own private porch, drank my coffee and absorbed the view. The skippers were bringing the 31 foot bertrams to the doc and preparing them for our departure at 6:30am. In the meantime we made our way to the lodge and enjoyed a cooked breakfast.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/13.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/13.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/7.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/7.png.html)

The bertrams were all identical, except for thier name and pretty floral colors. We scored 'Scandia', skippered by Capt' Gustavo, who had been at the helm for 30 years, and his young but very capable deckie Lerenzo...the excitement was building up and we were ready to go fishing

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/8.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/8.png.html)

Thier prefered method of fishing is with live baits, and each boat had a great live well with 8 tuna tubes inluded where they were quickly filled on Zane Grey Reef just a few miles off shore.We also trolled skirted, and hard bodied bibed lure that were flogged by the many Wahoo there. We encountered lots of whales migrating through, and some even close to the boats for the tourists to snap up some shots.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/9.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/9.png.html)

It wasnt long before we were trolling, and watching lots of boats around us hooked up to Tuna, Sailfish, and Dorados.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/15.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/15.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/24.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/24.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/25.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/25.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/26.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/26.png.html)

It wasn't long before our reels started to screem with sailfish, double hook ups on Bull Dorado, and Yellow fin Tuna

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/12.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/12.png.html)

Basicly we just kept our eyes peeled for fads, which there were many, and most of them produced fish.....we wern't the only ones hanging round the many floating logs, It wasnt long before l was rewarded with my PB Bull Dolphine fish, and Yellow fin Tuna Ever!

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/17.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/17.png.html)

We talked our skipper into taking us up along the coast to do some inshore fishing close by Playa de Muerto,one of the Wounaan Indian's Village, where the fishing was real good for some of the exotic species Panama has to offer

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/18.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/18.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/14.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/14.png.html)

Bill done really well with his PB Rooster fish and Cubera Snapper, and also some good shots for the cover of his magazine

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/16.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/16.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/27.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/27.png.html)

Bill snr also caught his first African Pompino, and l my first Amberjack.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/28.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/28.png.html)

Much smaller than Bills, l was wrapped when l was finally slimmed by my first Rooster fish

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/19.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/19.png.html)http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/30-1.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/30-1.png.html)

There were a few feeders around the lodge were these hummingbirds would zoom in for a feed, and l also couldn't help taking more shots of the fauna and flora there.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/23.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/23.png.html)

One funny thing. Many of the guests wanted a photo with this soldier at the airport when we were about to leave, and he wouldn't oblidge. I stepped up and told him l was from Australia, and he then suprised me by chanting ozzie ozzie ozzie, and obliged. Got no idea how he knew that, and l along with everyone else was very suprised.

Well thats it, a very small glimpse into my very exciting trip to Panama, and l only hope that l get the opportunity to go there again one day soon

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/5.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/5.png.html)

pastry
12-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Sooo utterly jealous of you, Joe. You're like the modern day Hemingway. Now, just because I'm jealous as hell doesn't mean I'm not eating this up! Thanks for continuing to update this thread!

Altum Nut
12-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Absolutely amazing footage Joe. You said it right...we are here for a good time, not a long time.
Would die to experience just one of your many outings on the water.
Keep posting buddy.

...Ralph

Nick Klimkowski
12-08-2013, 01:02 AM
That looked like it was a blast. Love the pics.

two utes
12-08-2013, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Much appreciated.

l missed putting up a photo of one of the many sails we caught and released...it truely was a wonderful experience.
Cheers

Joe

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/tropic%20star%20lodge/11.png (http://s325.photobucket.com/user/twoutes/media/tropic%20star%20lodge/11.png.html)

DiscusLoverJeff
12-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Joe it is time for you to write a book on all your adventures. Great photos! Looks like a wonderful experience.

two utes
10-06-2014, 05:02 AM
Thanks Jeff. Would be great to write a book about all my adventures....something l'll definetly look at down the track when l retire ;)
There's been a fair few trip that have come and gone since that last one to Panama, but l want to share a recent adventure

l've just returned home from the most amazing trip to Prince Edward Island near Nova Scotia in Canada. I went there to be challenged by giant Bluefin tuna, and managed to capture and release one that was estimated at 850lb. The commercial fishermen there are only allowd to harves one tuna per season, and its a fantastic fishery.....hope it lasts mor many more years to come

Check out these u tube clips, one made by me and the other Bill from Pacific coast Sports fishing magazine....some great memories right there

Another first for me was making cover on a fishing magazine...hope its the first of many :)

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/twoutes/covershot.jpg

l've attached the other two video clips in the following posts, dur to restrictions on here....l hope you enjoy them

two utes
10-06-2014, 05:03 AM
This is my shor clip from Canada

http://youtu.be/vF7ddEzEyWA?list=UUqSbcCCjQnh3Yfxs3-v80Kg