PDA

View Full Version : Red at base of pectoral fin

kaceyo
01-11-2008, 11:56 PM
One of my fish has a bright red hemmorage at the base of it's pectoral fin and I'm treating it with Nitrofurizone and furazolidone in food. I thought the red seemed less bright on the second day but now it's the same as ever, bright red. Not getting worse tho and the fish eats and is active,and has good color. Today is the fourth day and it's still red so I'm wondering if this is normal for this type of infection. Should it be taking this long? I'm considering adding the meds to the water also but thought I'd get some feedback first. If you have experience with this let me know what you think.
Thanks,

Kacey

Ardan
01-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Can you post a pic?
If it is infection, then meds in the water might be good.
It can take 5 to 10 days to see great improvement.

Ardan

pcsb23
01-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Could it be an injury?

Paul Lucas
01-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi there

Red at the base of the pecs is an indicator of a bacterial infection, as is the look of a 'bleeding nose'. Best to use Acriflavine at standard dose.

Paul @ Discus South UK

kaceyo
01-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Arden, I can't get a pic posted quickly unfortunetly but it looks like a red line at the base of the fin exactly where the fin changes from clear to fleshy color.
Paul, it could be but shows no other signs of injury and the fish uses the fin w/out noticable problems.
Paul L, an infection is what I thought also. Thats why I'm using the antibiotics. I'd expected to see the red fading by now but this is the first time I've dealt with this particuler problem so I don't really know what to expect. If I remember correctly I can use the acriflavine with the antibiotics simultaniously. Is that right? I have used it for minor gill infections in the past with good results but don't know if the current prob is considered an internal or external infection. Do you?
Thanks,

Kacey

Ardan
01-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I would use either furan 2, or oxytetracycline (doesn't work as well in hard water as calcium and magnesium "use up" the med) or kanamycin. I would use it in the water also.
Paul Lucas may have had good results with acriflavine, I have not used it.
These 3 antibiotics hit internal and external and are "systemic".
I don't know about the acriflavine + antibiotics.
This is bacterial problem usually.

hth
Ardan

kaceyo
01-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks Arden,
The meds I have it on now are basicly a home made version of Furan 2. A combination of Nitrofurizone and Furizolidone. I started adding it to the water last night, along with the food they've been on that has them in it.
The other Antibiotics you mentioned are the two I've chosen to have on hand regularly so I can easily switch to one of them if needed.
Thanks,

Kacey