PDA

View Full Version : HELP-raised spot on side of fish!(appears internal)

subcooler
01-12-2008, 08:30 PM
The problem was first noticed here on day 5 of a 5 day Metro treatment on entire tank for bacteria infection.I had a larger fish(4.5" Brown)that got better & is again eating after Metro treatment-all fish are eating & none hiding @ feeding time.
The problem is a raised light colored area(the size of a pencil eraser)on the side of a Green SS(3.5").
It appears to be under skin -not a external infection!
He is still very active in tank & eating well.This has me baffled & I want to address it while he is still eating(incase medicated food is an option!)
I'm trying salt today-because it's least intrusive thing I can try.
Attached is disease questionnare.
I'll take a pic tomm. morning & submit it (hope it helps!)
Thanks for any input anyone may have!
Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started: raised light colored bump on side of fish (just below top fin-middle of fish).
Problem observed on last day of 5 day Metro treatment for entire tank.
Raised area just appeared out of nowhere!

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Fish is eating,actively swimming,not dark-no sign of exterial infection-appears to be under skin!

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
No medications started (for this problem)-no clue what this could be!

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
50g.(set up 4mo.'s ago),6 discus-(1)4.5" & (5)3.5" also (2) Cory Cat's

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Daily W/C's (40%) BB tank-water aged 24 hr.'s

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _84____

- ph ___7.2__

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading __0__

- well water ___no_

- municipal water _yes___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
No new fish or plants added.

subcooler
01-13-2008, 09:41 PM
I've been reading up on forum about internal disease that could be responsible for raised lump on my 3.5" Green SS.
I saw a link pertaining to nematode treatments.I hope this is not the cause of my problems(they painted a dreary picture if the nematodes are not in the intestinal tract!)
I'm attaching some pics -hoping that someone can look @ them & give me some insight into whats going on with this fish.:(
He's still very active,eating,not dark-the raised bump is the only indication of a problem!
**** HAVE TO RESIZE PICS-will attach A.S.A.P.
Thanks for your help!
Rob

subcooler
01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Pics attached
Hopefully enough info left on pics after re-sizing!
*** I just saw re-sized pics, they are about useless!
I can send better pics to anyone who is interested in looking @ them!
Hoping for a reply!
Rob

Mick B
01-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi Rob,

By my book, Metro is not a treatment for bacteria? and generally if being applied for Hex/Spiro would be more than 5 days, but???

From the photo, I can't realy see anything, so would suggest;

Increasing W/C volumes/frequency for a few days and observe, prior to adding any other medicatons, would be my course of action, untill observation or further (expert) advise is offered!

HTH, Cheers, Mick B

pcsb23
01-14-2008, 05:11 PM
If I've interpreted the pic correctly the lump is above the lateral line and on the flank. Normally lumps in these regions are the results of tumours or cysts. Very little can be done in truth. Some fish live long lives, some don't.

There is some anectdotal evidence that a prolonged treatment with metronidazole can cure this, I have no definitive evidence to support that.

subcooler
01-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Good morning all.
I awoke his morning -no change in affected fish- The single raised/light colored spot is visable.
I just read the thread(MY SPOTTY FISH) This is an old thread-interesting how it re-appeared here now.
It seems to be talking about a similiar kinda problem-so many medicines are mentioned I really don't know where to start any treatments. The thread seemed to be talking about treating with PP &Prazi.
It's early & I need to read it again(after a cup of coffee).
Fish is still eating & active in tank!
Feeling helpless here & afraid to just start dumping chemicals in tank without any clue what I'm trying to treat!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Rob

Clyde
01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
I also have a fish with the same condition. I always assumed it was a cyst or tumor myself, and was pleased to hear Paul say the same. If this is the case then I think surgery would be the only "cure". I wouldn't treat unless you are seeing other symptoms.

Mark

brewmaster15
01-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Rob,
I'm guessing one of two things is going to happen here... The spot is going to continue to come to the surface and eventually ... form a white head and rupture...possibly leaving a raw open hole. that should heal with minor assistence.. or the other possibility is it will come to the surface and you'll see whitish extensions that look like small pieces of string coming from it.. these could be intramuscular nematodes...

At this point...I'd just watch...and hopefully it resolves itself.

hth,
al

subcooler
01-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Let me start by saying -Thanks for your input-even if it ain't what I wanna hear!
I want someone to tell me "just start adding this med. to the tank for a few days & post the pics when he's happy & cured!"
I started getting a feeling something bad was going on here,when I read the thread pertaining to nematodes!
I'm trying to keep a positive mental attitude here-even though prognosis don't sound good!
The worst part is that it doesn't have anything to do with the cost of the fish(or replacing him). I can't believe how attached you can become to a tank of fish in a few months,I guess the added time spent with extra feedings,W/C's,vac. poop etc... really draws you closer to discus(never felt this way about a sick fish!)
I guess the added tank activities make you notice a health issue @ the beginning,instead of towards the end when fish is belly up!
Well it seems the only course of action for now is continue to provide good food,water & care while hoping for the best!
Thanks again for all your help & listening to me whine!
Rob:(

pcsb23
01-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Well it seems the only course of action for now is continue to provide good food,water & care while hoping for the best!
Sometimes you can be amazed at what this powerful treatment can accomplish! :) Good luck Rob.

subcooler
01-24-2008, 06:10 PM
UPDATE:o
I've been treating with salt@ 2 Tbsp. per 10g & Triple Sulfa Powder@ suggestion of seller I got discus from.
Salt has been recommended for 14 days & Triple Sulfa for 10 days.
I'm seeing a improvement here-The raised spot is no longer raised, but still a visible light colored spot.
I'm glad the swelling seems to be gone & he's still is eating well.
Thanks again for all your input as I work through this health issue!
Rob