PDA

View Full Version : The use of Zeolite

ffighter14
01-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi
Is it a good idea to use Zeolite in a filteration system if you are unable to do at least 3 water changes every week?I know it is good in absorbving ammonia.Any input will be most appreciated.

Steve

judy
01-14-2008, 11:12 AM
I used it for years, but then had to medicate with salt and was forced to pull the zeolite out. Salt draws out the ammonia in the zeolite and dumps it back into the tank. That's how you 're-charge' zeolite, in fact-- soak it in salt water for 48 hours, then rinse like crazy. Now, I'm sure there will always be a tiny bit of residual salt in my tank, so the zeolite can't be used.
The only thing about using it under normal circumstances is that becauase it pulls ammonia out, what you're really doing is hampering the full development of your nitfritying bacteria beds to handle the tank's waste. Fully cycled and properly cleaned, it shouldn't be necessary. (even though I used it, I know I was "cheating Nature" a bit...)

Graham
01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
As a point of interest zeolite only pulls out ammonium/NH4 and not ammonia/NH3, the pH of the water will dictate how much of each you'll have. Obivously all it can release back is NH4 which may convert to NH3 depending on the pH and temp.

Once it's become saturated it just becomes a every good bio-media as long no salt is used

In High pH tanks like for Africans it doesn't work very well at all.